PDA

View Full Version : cr link for XC or find diffrent frame.

muddymess
02-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I have a laeger cr500 link narrow frame and before i start buying the parts for it I was wondering if it would be worth it for XC racing or if i should try and find someone who would trade for a nolink.
I hear the nolinks are better because of the ground clearance and that's a big issue where i race because of how bad the tracks get rutted out. Iv gotten hung up several times on the stock setup and I don't want to make it worse.

I figure i would ask since there are people on here that have raced them and know what there like.

troybilt
02-27-2011, 06:30 AM
My Laeger frame is an XC specific frame and it has the CR 500 link... Find a CR 500 link XC swingarm and that would be perfect, Protect makes a skid plate specific for it... I've got that swingarm on my bike, I'd rather have an MX swinger, but can make do with what I've got...

muddymess
02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
whats the difference in the swingarms. i have a cr500 swingarm but not sure what type it is.

troybilt
02-27-2011, 06:37 AM
The XC swingarm has skid plate mounts and doesn't have provisions for a banshee style chain slider.

muddymess
02-27-2011, 06:51 AM
i thought mine had both but i could be wrong. I know it has the chain slider though so its probably a MX one.

troybilt
02-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Is it a Laeger?

muddymess
02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
pretty sure

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ptz7ed.jpg

troybilt
02-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Yea looks like a Laeger, what's the other side look like?

250Renvy
02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
It would be hard to find someone to trade for a no-link however xtremelimit has an early laeger no-link frame/swingarm. I think the only difference is the swingarm/rear shock.

Your best bet would be just to invest in a protect swingarm skidplate. It may not stop you from getting hung up, but will hopefully allow you to glide over ruts and especially not damage your linkage and shock in the mean time.

Mony25
02-27-2011, 11:53 AM
back in the day a ton of the pros were on the laeger. i would venture to say about 75%. so i dont see any problem with running it. the no link would have more clearence but i dont see it being a big deal.

MANIAK 88R
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
My Laeger frame is an XC specific frame and it has the CR 500 link... Find a CR 500 link XC swingarm and that would be perfect, Protect makes a skid plate specific for it... I've got that swingarm on my bike, I'd rather have an MX swinger, but can make do with what I've got...

Hey Troy, What is the length and shape of your XC swinger?

I have the MX but I live in the foothills and my property has lots of little sprocket bending rocks that hide in the tall grass.

In the next few months I am tearing down my Laeger to re-powder everything.

I might ponder the thought of trading. Can you PM me some pics?

89rwfo
03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Mony25
back in the day a ton of the pros were on the laeger. i would venture to say about 75%. so i dont see any problem with running it. the no link would have more clearence but i dont see it being a big deal.

I think that things are a little different today than then. I raced back in 90's Gncc and recently (two years ago) got back into it. Man nobody runs a skid plate on their pokers and I believe the ruts are deeper ecspecially since the 4x4's really took off. I find myself getting hung more often than I ever did back in the day. I just have stock linkage frame with 21" holeshot xc. I have always wanted a Laeger cr link but have had too really think about it. I think the only way you could is to not run a skid plate just a sprocket guard or 22" tires. This is obviously just my opinion.

troybilt
03-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by MANIAK 88R
Hey Troy, What is the length and shape of your XC swinger?

I have the MX but I live in the foothills and my property has lots of little sprocket bending rocks that hide in the tall grass.

In the next few months I am tearing down my Laeger to re-powder everything.

I might ponder the thought of trading. Can you PM me some pics?

Its 88/89 length, there are pics in my Elsinore thread towards the begining... I'm not 100% sure I'd trade it, just thinking out loud (sort of speak...)...

Thanks,