PDA

View Full Version : timing belt necessary?

fasterblaster09
02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Mother has 06 kia sportage, v6, now has 114k miles. Is it necessary for her to go have timing belt changed? The guy that was going to do it told her to get a water pump also to change. My mother went to autozone (99% of time its idiots) to get the parts he said, and the woman walked to the vehicle and "checked" it and said its still good and not cracked or anything and told her not to worry about it. So she asked me to look up some information on it. Times are kind of tough right now, as is with most people, don't want to spend money on things when it could go to more necessary places. thanks, neil

(the kia is giving NO problems at all, just always heard its good to have timing belt changed)

CJM
02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Well when your in there you have access to the waterpump so its almost always changed.

Heres the deal with timing belts: They can last longer than the mileage or time they say, but the bad thing is if they snap obviously your stranded-but that isnt the worst of it.

HERES THE BIG DEAL:
If the engine is referred to as an INTERFERENCE engine and that belt snaps you will bend the valves b/c the pistons will slam into them. That means a whole lot more work and money to replace.

Its a non interference engine, it snaps it doesnt damage the engine, you replace the belt then.

I looked it up an yes it is an INTERFERENCE engine according to gates. So even tho times are tough if you havent replace it DO IT. That info is straight off the gates website, they manufacture the OEM style timing belts.

So replace it!!!

quadrcr161
02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
agreed it needs to be replaced with an oem quality belt, and oem quality water pump and belt tensioner. also you will usually need valve cover gasket and seals. if you have access to tools and mechanical knowledge you can replace it yourself.

fasterblaster09
02-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Ok thanks guys. I do have most basic tools, not really any specialty tools. I do try to do as much as I can myself, So I always did change like alternators and a couple water pumps and what not, but nothing ever dealing with the timing belt. Know of a good website to walk me through it?