PDA

View Full Version : Yet another valve tick thread

flyboy1294
02-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Well I finally got the 400 running again.

I had to revert to stock carb. Jetting is 190/45 (as opposed to 185/40 before mods), but it runs like a top now regardless.

Anyway, it has a valve tick that is concerning me. I have adjusted the valve probably 5 times since it was built. Two of which were today, and I'm positive they're on-spec. So I'm wondering if it's just the Stage 3 Hotcam making it tick.

So I made a video for you guys to decide. I'm sorry about the quality, all I have is a digital camera.

Also please ignore my babble in the video. I was feeling rushed. :blah:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/39DmiUjmaes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For the record the quad isn't totally back together, I still need to do nerf bars and install braided lines.
:devil:

Thanks in advance

45boggs438
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
have you checked your rockers

CJM
02-26-2011, 07:33 PM
It sounds fine, no worse or better than the last 6 or so Ive seen/heard. Its the hotcam mostly. If you want you can adjust it to stock specs, once its broken in that is.

NacsMXer
02-26-2011, 08:19 PM
First off, nice quad you got there.

Sounds fine, and that's completely normal for the Hotcams to tick louder than stock....especially the stage 3 due to the more aggressive profile.

Don't feel bad, I was just as paranoid after I installed the stage 3 in mine having not ever heard an EX running that cam before. It's just how it's gonna be and shouldn't hurt anything provided you keep the valve clearances in check. And FYI, you can go back to stock clearances like CJM mentioned (.004 IN/ .005 EX) after you get through the break in period. This will quiet the ticking down a little more. Hotcams themselves, verified that it is ok to do this.

Here's a vid of mine shortly after installing the stage 3
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5cLmVB7IGCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

flyboy1294
02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies and compliments! (Even though I remind you, the quad isn't done yet. ;) )

Nacs, after seeing your video I feel much more comfortable about my cam. The quads sound similar. Even though yours puts my little build to shame lol.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to get action pictures up before too long. I'm very busy now-a-days. :confused:

BenHonda400ex
02-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Well I finally got the 400 running again.

I had to revert to stock carb. Jetting is 190/45 (as opposed to 185/40 before mods), but it runs like a top now regardless.

Anyway, it has a valve tick that is concerning me. I have adjusted the valve probably 5 times since it was built. Two of which were today, and I'm positive they're on-spec. So I'm wondering if it's just the Stage 3 Hotcam making it tick.

So I made a video for you guys to decide. I'm sorry about the quality, all I have is a digital camera.

Also please ignore my babble in the video. I was feeling rushed. :blah:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/39DmiUjmaes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For the record the quad isn't totally back together, I still need to do nerf bars and install braided lines.
:devil:

Thanks in advance What kind of exhaust is that?

flyboy1294
02-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by BenHonda400ex
What kind of exhaust is that?

The old version of the Curtis Sparks exhaust. Pretty much the same except the header is mild steel instead of stainless.

I'm very happy with it. It flows extremely well.

426kidz
02-27-2011, 08:25 AM
nacs the first thing i seen was how shinny and chromed out the exhaust headers wore,lol holy cow hahah both have nice bikes....but how did you manage too chrome them bad boys out??:confused:Mild steel make that much dif?

426kidz
02-27-2011, 08:27 AM
o, and my 426 with the stage 2 sounds similar its normal, anoyin i know,lol

NacsMXer
02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by 426kidz
nacs the first thing i seen was how shinny and chromed out the exhaust headers wore,lol holy cow hahah both have nice bikes....but how did you manage too chrome them bad boys out??:confused:Mild steel make that much dif?

lol. It's plain old ceramic coating I had done at a local powdercoating shop. After they ceramic coat it, it actually doesn't look that shiny or anything special.

Then the guy there told me that you can polish it just like metal. So after I heard that I went to work with a red shop rag and some mother's aluminum polish. Then that pipe really popped, I was blown away :cool:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3065/dsc0612r.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/dsc0612r.jpg/)

Best part about it, is it stays looking like that after it gets hot, and doesn't discolor or turn brown or anything. Keeps the heat in, and makes your old pipe look brand new again.

flyboy1294
02-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by 426kidz

The header is the mild steel part, the silencer is aluminum. I just used a wire wheel and then very very high grit sand paper and polished it. Then I put a coat of high temp wax to keep it shiny. Works great on bumpers and nerfs too. :D

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
First off, nice quad you got there.

Sounds fine, and that's completely normal for the Hotcams to tick louder than stock....especially the stage 3 due to the more aggressive profile.

Don't feel bad, I was just as paranoid after I installed the stage 3 in mine having not ever heard an EX running that cam before. It's just how it's gonna be and shouldn't hurt anything provided you keep the valve clearances in check. And FYI, you can go back to stock clearances like CJM mentioned (.004 IN/ .005 EX) after you get through the break in period. This will quiet the ticking down a little more. Hotcams themselves, verified that it is ok to do this.

Here's a vid of mine shortly after installing the stage 3
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5cLmVB7IGCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> I've seen that bike on youtube! It's freaking sweet!

426kidz
02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
nice. thats pretty sweet may have too give it a shot one day!!