PDA

View Full Version : XR Head gasket

crownandmonster
02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm going to be installing a new cam and valve springs in a couple days and I'm looking into an XR head gasket. I just did a search and became a bit confused. Is the Stock Honda XR gasket thinner (anyone know the thickness?) than the stock Honda EX gasket? Or is it a company like cometic that makes the XR Gasket thinner than the EX gasket? I'm just asking because I'd like to get the cam and stuff installed next week and don't want to wait on shipping from a gasket company if I don't have to. I get a 15% discount on all honda parts at my local dealer and if they don't have something in stock they get it the next day, so its a lot more convenient for me.

trailrider894
02-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by crownandmonster
I'm going to be installing a new cam and valve springs in a couple days and I'm looking into an XR head gasket. I just did a search and became a bit confused. Is the Stock Honda XR gasket thinner (anyone know the thickness?) than the stock Honda EX gasket? Or is it a company like cometic that makes the XR Gasket thinner than the EX gasket? I'm just asking because I'd like to get the cam and stuff installed next week and don't want to wait on shipping from a gasket company if I don't have to. I get a 15% discount on all honda parts at my local dealer and if they don't have something in stock they get it the next day, so its a lot more convenient for me.

The XR gasket is thinner, regardless of where you buy it.

crownandmonster
02-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Thats the impression I was under, but when i searched a couple threads said both gaskets from honda were like .043. Thanks

duroc825
02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
The XR gasket is thinner, regardless of where you buy it.
Yep, I agree. Just did this on my EX

PLF
02-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Could this be considered a ''mod'' when rebuilding your engine ??

Is the difference between gasket thickness enaugh to bumpe the compression in a way you could actually feel it ?

Thanks

CJM
02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by PLF
Could this be considered a ''mod'' when rebuilding your engine ??

Is the difference between gasket thickness enaugh to bumpe the compression in a way you could actually feel it ?

Thanks

Yea it can, will you really feel it-possible. Mostly when you put all the work into the engine you would like to actually get the comp rate you paid for.

All I know is Im quite happy with my cometic brand gaskets.

bigballz400
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
if bored 440 already do u need a xr gasket that is for a xr 440 or can u use a stock size bore head gasket........id think not tho, idk that is a question of mine........if 440 do u need a xr 89mm head gasket??