PDA

View Full Version : Dune Set Up

nwi45
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I strictly ride mx but we are heading to the dunes to ride over Memorial Day weekend. Just had a few questions for all of you that ride the dunes alot.

I have a race motor with a decent amount of dollars in it, so I'd like to protect it as much as I can. What do you run for an airbox lid? My main concern is sucking in sand.

I am getting some paddle tires and some type of air box lid. Any other suggestions?

trailrider894
02-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by nwi45
I strictly ride mx but we are heading to the dunes to ride over Memorial Day weekend. Just had a few questions for all of you that ride the dunes alot.

I have a race motor with a decent amount of dollars in it, so I'd like to protect it as much as I can. What do you run for an airbox lid? My main concern is sucking in sand.

I am getting some paddle tires and some type of air box lid. Any other suggestions?

Take extra oil, and water to clean the filter. Your gonna need all of it. Change your oil and oil filter and clean your air filter often!!! I change mine nearly everday when we ride out there. Also, take some grease!! You'll wanna make sure you keep all your joints greased up real good. Including you chain. You may wanna get some sprockets better suited to dune riding also. Good luck, be safe and have fun!!!

atv fan 28
02-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I run no air box in the sand where i ride. I just keep the filter cleaned and oiled good!! I carry an extra filter in case it gets to dusty.

UnderFire
02-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Most people at the dunes out here run No Lid, and a K&N with an OuterWears, it's the best airbox setup for the sand.

And go with Haulers if you've got a high horsepower engine, or you'll just dig holes on the hills.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
02-25-2011, 11:17 PM
I run a stock box with no lid and FCI intake. You will thank yourself for using a set of Haulers also. A good set of 21" 7 paddles.

tayyo789
02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
There's no replacement for a set of Skat Trak's at the dunes.
I don't run a lid, and only run a box on one of my bikes. K&N and an Outerwears works perfect, as long as you have them set up right.

bbender85
02-28-2011, 07:41 AM
if you're going to silver lake and have never been there on a holiday weekend i suggest doing some research on the voucher system. PM me if you need info.

brian76708
02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by bbender85
if you're going to silver lake and have never been there on a holiday weekend i suggest doing some research on the voucher system. PM me if you need info.

this..

i personally suggest going on a off weekend and taking off Monday. i have found that this is the best riding. but if you like looking at other rides then go on a holiday just be extra careful when riding the quad on the holiday a lot of people out there with many not paying attention. either way you will still have a blast and will soon be addicted to sand ha.