PDA

View Full Version : need help picking crf450 engine for hybrid

quadfmx
02-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I have head obv the newer the newer the better but ive noticed between 02-04 is about the same price, ive heard 05 is one of the better years, was 09 the first FI engine

it seems thats the way to go but its obv alot more expenesive,
one last question it seems to me its better to buy the bike keep the parts you need and part out the rest?

as far as the carb engines go is the trx450R 06 carb the same as the fcr used on the crf?

deathman53
02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
just buy the whole bike and part out what you didn't use. It will save you money in the long run.

josborn
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM
06+ have better valve seat material.

Careful, if you already have a frame for the motor. The motor mounts are different throughout the years. 02-03 are the same. 04 they changed on bottom. 05+ they kept the 04' bottom, but changed the head stay mount.

Your best bet is to buy an 07-08', and get the mounts right for that.

quadfmx
02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
i had thought about buying the whole bike but several people told me , there were so many engine electronics
etc around now, it was un necessary, but i thought buying the bike i could ride it and test the engine etc,

I had been told the 05 was one of the best engines?

if I was going to go with an 07- or 8 would it not be beneficial to just get the 09 with efi

like i said , new to hybrids so if thats a dumb ? sorry,
I ddint know if there were alot more things required with the efi bike or not,

but a far as my race quads i have liked the carb bikes, i have little experience with the efi, they prob got it working right by now but at first i would not have bought one,
josborn, unless im mistaking you with someone else you have built several sick hybrid quads, i havent seen them all but i was going with WALSH chassis, i know they make quality stuff but could i save lots of cash going a different qay

josborn
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
EFI is probably an advanced project, I would stick with the carb. Any of the 06+ motors are good. Again good valve seat material. I think the 08+ pulls the best. But thats my opinion, and I have only ridden it in the dirt bike. I have never ridden a hybrid with an 08' engine.