PDA

View Full Version : i want to race motocross, with a ltz400

verdebmxer12
02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I have a 2003 ltz400. I was wondering if it was worth racing in motocross with all the 450s? if you could give me your opinion and the mods that would be good to do, thanks

Limited Z_400
02-26-2011, 07:43 AM
well it can be done but she is a tough go.

juice420
02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Your gonna need a 450 motor.

coreyskfx
02-27-2011, 04:29 PM
imo. your gonna need some good shocks and tires. and probly gear it down. i dont think youll need a 450 motor if you can ride. and also some heavy duty skidplates and maybe handguards to keep the mud off your bars so you dont slip. but im pretty sure its mandatory for nerfs and a tether. dont know if you already have em

ridehonda400ex
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
You might also want to get some a-arms and shocks. If your rear is more wide than the front it will push bad in the turns. And not to sure on what tire size you run but 18's would be good. 20's would probably work also.

exrider12
02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
^^^:huh

If your gonna race motocross on your Z the first thing I would recommend is suspension. Next do your ergonomics, bars, grips, steering stem, hand guards. After that do your do your motor and powertrain.

Its not gonna be cheap but it can be done.. and you dont need heavy duty skids...

cjmadison9
02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
i agree you dont need skids for motorcross, id focus on the suspention then work your way to the motor, i race b class and the only motor mods i have is a 434 kit, exhaust, intake and rebuilt carb and power isnt really a problem, if you gear it right your gonna be able to keep up, if you can ride to that usually helps lol, but the stock suspention is gonna be the biggest thing to worry about though

cjmadison9
i agree you dont need skids for motorcross, id focus on the suspention then work your way to the motor, i race b class and the only motor mods i have is a 434 kit, exhaust, intake and rebuilt carb and power isnt really a problem, if you gear it right your gonna be able to keep up, if you can ride to that usually helps lol, but the stock suspention is gonna be the biggest thing to worry about though

cjmadison9

coreyskfx
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
oh whoops sorry i thought it said gncc for some reason lol. for motocross i agree about not needing the skids

711stretfighter
03-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Frame Gussets!

Kovatch
04-18-2011, 07:57 PM
It's been a while since i had my Z. If you are dead set on keeping the Z, I would invest in suspension. That is what held me back on the track. You can run with the big motors as long as you go for the bigger jumps. Which isn't all the greatest on stock or works triple rates. You really need good LT shocks/a-arms

The only thing is after spending $3000 on shocks/a-arms/swingarm, you then need frame gussets, gearing, and another set of tires (Razr 2 won't work).

Depends on how much $$ you have and how bad you want to win... You may be better off buying a new 450 LTR, YFZR, etc. There are some left overs for $5500 or so... Out of the box they are pretty darn solid on the track. I pull holeshot consistently with my YFZR.. You see the mods. I just wish I paid 55 instead of 85...

honda250xrider
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
You can do it with the Z. The only problem is by the time you keep modifying the Z you could find a used 450 for what it would cost for full suspension. I have seen several 450s around the 3000 range with some decent add on's.

Heck I sold a 07 ltr450 a couple years ago for 3100. There are deals to be had if you save your money and look around.

ds19
04-20-2011, 07:46 AM
If you want to race the 450 class it would be easier to just buy a 450. BUT if you really wanna race the z buy fox floats and long travel a arms. You need an axel beadlock wheels swing arm rear shock and a full pipe. More motor mods would help but you dont need them because you will allways be under powered anyway

energizer1389
05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Dont you have to upgrade the suspension on stock 450's too?? The guys Ive seen on the track with the Honda, Yam etc 450's have Fox or Elkas installed. I think the mayor difference other than power is the new 450's are smaller, lighter and lower center of gravity. I think they are also geared properly. But you still need to put a lot of money on supension and engine and exhaust upgrades to keep up.

Im also going to start racing. Ill do the lower classes with my 03 z400 the rest of this season and if I decide I want to really get competitive Ill get a 450 next year.

Kovatch
05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
By the time you get your Z to be competitive you will have spent thousands and it still will be behind. If I recall correctly, the stock suspension on the LTRs are pretty good for stock. My YFZR was good for stock and held up for two years racing.

To get off on the right foot, do yourself a favor and buy a 450. You won't need all the money in motor mods. You can smoke a mild modded Z on a stock 450. Any 450 is competitive, but you must have suspension to hang in there. I started racing on my Z and have nothng but regrets as I spent $8,000 on motor and suspension and it still was behind.

I learned my lesson and just bought something I didn't have to mod all that much. Get a 450 now before you spend too much on the Z.

Limited Z_400
05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
By the time you get your Z to be competitive you will have spent thousands and it still will be behind. If I recall correctly, the stock suspension on the LTRs are pretty good for stock. My YFZR was good for stock and held up for two years racing.

To get off on the right foot, do yourself a favor and buy a 450. You won't need all the money in motor mods. You can smoke a mild modded Z on a stock 450. Any 450 is competitive, but you must have suspension to hang in there. I started racing on my Z and have nothng but regrets as I spent $8,000 on motor and suspension and it still was behind.

I learned my lesson and just bought something I didn't have to mod all that much. Get a 450 now before you spend too much on the Z.
Well said.We also switched over to a 450.We had fun and learned alot with the Z400 but the 450 is the way to go.The last 4 races of 2010 we ran with a bone stock LTR450 and did very well.