PDA

View Full Version : law enforcement

250ex_dan
02-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Who has experience in law enforcement.?
I'm taking a CAVIT course and it is for two years.
It is a course where you get training and it will take two years to complete, and will take two years of my colledge degree for law enforcement.
Any advice out there/experience that may help?
Thanks

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
Who has experience in law enforcement.?
I'm taking a CAVIT course and it is for two years.
It is a course where you get training and it will take two years to complete, and will take two years of my colledge degree for law enforcement.
Any advice out there/experience that may help?
Thanks

Hey, I do have some experience with the system and have gotten all of my education advice from police officers. Here is what am doing... B.A. In Criminology and Then going to Police Academy.

I am not sure what degree you are going for, but its a dog eat dog world to get those jobs. The guys with more education and or military experience are the guys that will get hired. And they will get hired over already trained and experienced officers.

You really need to consider your career options more. I would get a ride along scheduled with your local P.D. or Trooper Division. TV shows only display half of the job. I've been in the passenger seat and trust me it will change your views of the job forever... DO A RIDE ALONG BEFORE YOU ENROLL!!!

I am not trying to scare you away, but some people aren't cut out for the job. You are young to be jumping into this field with so much haste. There are tons of things to consider....

CJM
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Im currently on the path to finishing a degree in criminal justice. I was told by every single officer I spoke to on both the state and local levels that you have a huge leg up if you have prior military experience or preferably a degree.

Even with military experience as an MP a friend of mine had to move to MD, train in the state trooper program for 6 months and then was hired. He couldnt find anything around NJ or NYC where he lived.

wilkin250r
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
DO A RIDE ALONG BEFORE YOU ENROLL!!!

Several of them.

250ex_dan
02-24-2011, 10:39 AM
thanks for the advice guys.
if i take the course,will it open other doors that have to do with law.?(like lawyers or something.ect.?)

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Several of them.

And don't do the same place over and over. I have done 6 of them so far...

#1. My local P.D. Dept. Night Shift.

#2. MSHP Troop C Night Shift.

#3. MSHP Troop F. Night Shift On I-70.
( This was the scariest thing I've ever done..... )

#4. Same P.D. as #1 except during the day.

#5. Sheriffs Dept.

#6. MSHP Troop C Night Shift. I-270.

I literally crapped my pants atleast twice with the MSHP each time i did a ride along.

KingpinsEx
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Think long and hard before presuing a career in law enforcement. It is such a competitive field and you can look at anywhere from 20 to several hundred competing for a few postitons. Law enforcement is not like your typical job, going to school, getting additional training, and even military experience does not guarentee you a job. Alot of it is who you know and the majority of the hiring is done strictly by exams. So if someone scores 5 % higher than you, that can make the difference of getting the job, one or two answers. Not to mention most places will give veterans a 10% advantage on all testing. Many departments require you to pay to apply as well. Don't expect you will find work as soon as you graduate, you may be waiting years to find a decent job in this field.

ridered11
02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
If a ride along scares you, you probably shouldn't be a police officer. :rolleyes:

CJM
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
You dont just have to be a cop if you get a CJ degree, there is alot out there-check this site out:

http://www.legal-criminal-justice-schools.com/Criminal-Justice-Careers/Criminal-Justice-Career-Center.html

BlaineKaiser450
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I've been on ride a longs with my friends dad who is a Highway Patrol officer of 20+ years, and it is honestly as fun as riding. Every stop is a rush

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
If a ride along scares you, you probably shouldn't be a police officer. :rolleyes:

ha ha no words for you man... unless you've done it, you can't talk. 120mph down the interstate lights and sirens to a car crash is scarier than you think...

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Also, its not being scared that makes a bad cop, its the cops who get scared and allow that to affect there judgement. I gurantee you all cops get scared at points in time, but if they maintain there good judgement then all turns out good.

ridered11
02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Granted I've been on more ride alongs than I can count (Father has been a police officer my whole life). I've encountered far more sketchy situations than an accident scene on an interstate.

Being scared makes you think, thinking will get you killed. Cops are trained to respond with instinct.

Not trying to start anything, just pointing it out.

What field are you looking to get into?

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Granted I've been on more ride alongs than I can count (Father has been a police officer my whole life). I've encountered far more sketchy situations than an accident scene on an interstate.

Being scared makes you think, thinking will get you killed. Cops are trained to respond with instinct.

Not trying to start anything, just pointing it out.

What field are you looking to get into?

Agreed, i am not gonna argue. But keep your sarcastic thoughts to yourself to begin with next time...

How about east STL in the State Trooper, Pullin over Imapla's with 23"s all night long... STL is the most dangerous city in the U.S., because of the infamous east side.

ridered11
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
It's not the troopers that are getting their hands dirty.

STL city would be wild for a couple years, but noting to make a career out of. Just not worth it the risk.

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
It's not the troopers that are getting their hands dirty.

STL city would be wild for a couple years, but noting to make a career out of. Just not worth it the risk.

A generally biased answer... lol Cops with Balls work in STL. I am done B.S. with you. Just cause your daddy is an officer doesn't mean anything. He's probably a small town cop anyway, nothing wrong with that. I appreciate his duty wherever he is so long as he is keeping my homies safe. No comment on the state trooper thing, because you haven't experienced it or been with them to see some of the stuff they see.

Sorry for jacking your thread man... I just thought this kid needed a little help understanding what the Def: of a real cop was. I definetly think you should check out your career options and consider this one!!! Just remember, make yourself different than all the other applicants so you get noticed by departments!!!

EDIT: Mods, feel free to delete my posts if you feel its needed. I am done venting, though. :scary:

TheLane
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Personally i think troopers and sherrifs have the biggest Ba**s (at work) out of all of em. Having a lot of friends that are officers and almost making a career out of it myself (before i realized i was 5'5 and would rather be safe in an air conditioned building) there is nothing like being by yourself on a highway with backup 15 minutes away dealing with a car full of drug dealers.

At least city PD has backup seconds to low minutes away. (not to discredit it, because you have to have Ba**s no matter what)

troopers you have to figure it out on your own, or survive till backup can get there.

Hats off to all of em though.

(and i beleive its a balance, over thinking can get you killed, but instinct without thought can get someone else killed.)

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
Hats off to all of em though.

X2

ridered11
02-24-2011, 09:04 PM
LOL, glad you you have everything figured out trailrider894.

TheLane- Agreed, all of them deserve respect.

I'm pretty excited to start my ICE internship next year, I've my eyes set on that for a while now.