PDA

View Full Version : PVL v. CR250r ignition

jcs003
02-24-2011, 02:11 AM
what are your opinions and/or experiences with these two systems.

thank you,

john

C-LEIGH RACING
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
CR250R ignition,
bolt up, rotate both plates counter clockwise far as it will go & lock it down & forget about it.

PVL,
Bolt it up, run & buy a piston, adjust some more, run, buy another piston, adjust somemore, run, might get by this time but then again maybe not & buy another piston.
You like buying new piston kits & bore jobs, if not, better let somebody knows how to set it up perfect the first time before you ever run it or that is what you'll be doing.

PVL,
lifes to short to deal with all the time it takes to get it right, when you could bolt on a CR250R system & be enjoying riding time.
Neil

1promodfan
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
CR250R ignition,
bolt up, rotate both plates counter clockwise far as it will go & lock it down & forget about it.

PVL,
Bolt it up, run & buy a piston, adjust some more, run, buy another piston, adjust somemore, run, might get by this time but then again maybe not & buy another piston.
You like buying new piston kits & bore jobs, if not, better let somebody knows how to set it up perfect the first time before you ever run it or that is what you'll be doing.

PVL,
lifes to short to deal with all the time it takes to get it right, when you could bolt on a CR250R system & be enjoying riding time.
Neil

Well put Neil!! Nuff said!:D

jcs003
02-25-2011, 01:38 AM
i guess this is why the PVL is $200 cheaper.

Burns310r
02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
So Neil Your advising to advance timing as far as it will go? Or am i mis remembering?

Ha shed some quick light for my shaddy memory.

J.B.
02-25-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty sure turning it clockwise advances it. Thus Neil saying rotate couterclockwise all the way then locking it down.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Burns310r
So Neil Your advising to advance timing as far as it will go? Or am i mis remembering?

Ha shed some quick light for my shaddy memory.

A TRX250R engine, crank rotates counter clockwise when running, so, to advance the ignition timing, you rotate the stator plate clockwise so the little raised up thing on the flywheel will get to the pickup module sooner.

The ignition will spark, once the tail end edge of the little raised up thing on the flywheel goes past the pickup.

I know that sounds crazy, because that little raised up thing on the flywheel got to have a name, but I've never heard anyone say it.
Anybody know what it is called.
Neil

rsss396
02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
The ignition will spark, once the tail end edge of the little raised up thing on the flywheel goes past the pickup.

I know that sounds crazy, because that little raised up thing on the flywheel got to have a name, but I've never heard anyone say it.
Anybody know what it is called.
Neil

the raised tab on the flywheel is normally considered a crank trigger

a sine wave (negative and positve signal) is produced in the pickup coil when passing the crank trigger.

the negative signal is at the front side of the trigger while a positive is at the end of the crank trigger

the cdi will fire on the positive signal with most cdi's

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I knew it had to have a name, but didnt have a clue.
Thanks, Neil

jcs003
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM
i might pull the "crank trigger" on the CR ignition. still debating whether to spend that much.:confused:

bigE28
02-25-2011, 01:40 PM
i know it has been asked but i will ask it again. the cr ignition does not run the lights. what needs to be done to have working lights with that ignition system?

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Ricky Stator has a re-wired CR stator that includes windings for running lights, but I heard it didnt have enough wattage to run bright lights.
I'm not 100% clear on that, just what I read, so maybe somebody else knows for sure & can chime in.

At one time, Service Honda had two different stator systems with like two different wattage ratings.
I think one was for the CR250 & the other was for the CR500 & best I can remember the wattage was good enough to run bright lights.
Only thing, I've not heard of anybody bought or used one or have any details on the units.
Neil

Honda5
02-26-2011, 05:20 AM
do you know what years cr ignitions work? I have a basket case '88 that I was going to trash.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Honda5
do you know what years cr ignitions work? I have a basket case '88 that I was going to trash.

You mean like for changing the TRX250R over to CR250R ignition system.
If that is what your asking, normally the 2000 & up year models of CR250R ignition systems are used.

2000 & up CR ignitions are digital CDI & years before that 99 & below, are anilog CDI just like the TRX ignition.

Even though the 99 & lower years CR250R ignitions are anilog CDI, they are far better than the old TRX ignition system, so even changing over with those years would be a big improvment.
Neil

latheboy
02-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a '98 cr ignition system (analog) that I have used on the trx. It works well. I just bought the '01 system from ESR and have yet to run a comparison. If you are interested in a '98 system, let me know. Everything needed is included except for the ESR adapter plate.

jcs003
02-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by latheboy
I have a '98 cr ignition system (analog) that I have used on the trx. It works well. I just bought the '01 system from ESR and have yet to run a comparison. If you are interested in a '98 system, let me know. Everything needed is included except for the ESR adapter plate.

how was it compared to the stock system? i might be interested.

latheboy
02-26-2011, 10:29 AM
I didnt notice a huge difference. It did seem to start a little easier, and it defintley made my 350pv rev quicker. If you are interested, PM me. I will be posting it in the classifeds in the next few days. Also listing a stock trx system and an '87 wiring harness.

jcs003
02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
i just bought the ESR cr250r ignition. i hope it is worth the $584.

wild250rman
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
i take it you found your problem.

jcs003
02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
i take it you found your problem.

yes. my carb must have been extremely rich. i leaned it out and it ran good on saturday. its still actually a lil too rich.

atv fan 28
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i just bought the ESR cr250r ignition. i hope it is worth the $584.

Oh, it will be! I should have gotten one sooner than i did.

wild250rman
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
cool bet that put a smile on your face!

markk
02-28-2011, 09:18 PM
iv been reading about the cr250 vs the trx250r and i really wont even ride my quad im building. what system do you guys feel i would be happy with??

atv fan 28
02-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Is that a trick question Mark? If your not going to ride it then why even bother upgrading the ignition? But if you plan on riding it the CR ignition is the way to go.

markk
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
deff. not a trick question- but it is for sure a newbie question---

would anyone be intrested in selling a stock wireing harness setup for an 87? in good condition it will have a kill switch on it-

Lasher
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a complete 89 ignition from the stator/flywheel to the plug. The ground wire is cut for a kill switch.

www.lashermxracing.com/forsale

oh...I switched to the CR ignition and love it.

jcs003
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
will carb adjustments need to be made with the cr250 ignition?

wilkin250r
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
will carb adjustments need to be made with the cr250 ignition?

Logically, I can't see the ignition timing affecting the jetting significantly, but it IS possible that a better burn can create more engine heat, and you'll need to jet accordingly for that.

On a side note, I just ordered my brand-new CR250 ignition this morning. Can't wait.

jcs003
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Logically, I can't see the ignition timing affecting the jetting significantly, but it IS possible that a better burn can create more engine heat, and you'll need to jet accordingly for that.

On a side note, I just ordered my brand-new CR250 ignition this morning. Can't wait.

i hear you. i wont get mine til next week. cant wait.

1promodfan
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Its one of the best upgrades you can make. You won't be sorry you did.

wilkin250r
03-02-2011, 07:26 PM
HOLY SMOKES!!

I've never owned a CR250 ignition, and I just got one of my two sets in today (thank you Keith!). This CDI is HUGE!

Somebody show me some pictures of where and how you mounted yours.

latheboy
03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
The CDI unit is huge on the '98 system. When I ran it, i went redneck with the zip ties. The '01 system I just got has alot smaller CDI unit.

I hope you can use all that stuff I sent.

wilkin250r
03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by latheboy
I hope you can use all that stuff I sent.

All these parts look really good, but I'm still looking for a suitable small motor to spin a flywheel. I was thinking of going with an electric motor, but I'm having a real problem finding something to spin in the upper RPM range (when the stock 250r ignition starts falling off in spark energy) without spending $600 or more.

I'm starting to rethink, I think I can get an air-powered motor that spins up to 10k rpm for about $150.

quadfmx
03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
my bike had a full esr engine when i got it, supposed to have cr250 iginition,
whats an easy way to check to make sure, what should i remove and what should it look like,'
just want ot be positive its there

rsss396
03-04-2011, 04:45 AM
but I'm still looking for a suitable small motor to spin a flywheel. I was thinking of going with an electric motor, but I'm having a real problem finding something to spin in the upper RPM range (when the stock 250r ignition starts falling off in spark energy) without spending $600 or more.

I'm starting to rethink, I think I can get an air-powered motor that spins up to 10k rpm for about $150.

I use a 2.5hp treadmill motor and variable speed circuit boards from it. you just have use the right pully ratio to get to 10,000

Mine will spin over 9000rpm right now with its present ratio

some times needs a little help when starting out from 0 rpm because the motors loose allot of torque at low speed but once it rolling it will maintain 400-500 rpm up to 9000+

treadmills are cheap on craigslist just keep a eye out, but act quick because allot of them get used for wind generators or "home" cnc milling machine x-y motors

jcs003
03-04-2011, 06:05 AM
All these parts look really good, but I'm still looking for a suitable small motor to spin a flywheel. I was thinking of going with an electric motor, but I'm having a real problem finding something to spin in the upper RPM range (when the stock 250r ignition starts falling off in spark energy) without spending $600 or more.

what do you need to spin the flywheel with a different type of motor for?

bigE28
03-04-2011, 06:35 AM
x2! kind of baffling to me!

C-LEIGH RACING
03-04-2011, 07:39 AM
For testing guys.
If you have a shaft you can mount the flywheel on & then a plate to mount the stator to just like it would be sitting mounted on the engine, you can set it all up, cdi/coil & test the ignition system.

That is why hes needing a variable speed motor to turn the shaft at different rpm's to see what the ignition will do.
Neil

wilkin250r
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
and I'm looking for much more than a simple pass/fail. I need to test the spark under a variety of conditions, and I can't very well do that if I need the spark to keep the engine running.

Plus, one of the most important tests I'm going to be running is the actual signal the stator is generating, without the cdi and coil attached. I can't do that if I'm using the engine to spin the flywheel.

1promodfan
03-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by quadfmx
my bike had a full esr engine when i got it, supposed to have cr250 iginition,
whats an easy way to check to make sure, what should i remove and what should it look like,'
just want ot be positive its there

The flywheel is really small, and there will be a plate behind it attached to the motor.