PDA

View Full Version : Serious tire problem

remlapr
02-15-2003, 06:19 PM
I found a tire shop close by that was going to mount my new rear tires for me for $10 each(vs. the $31 each my local dealer wanted to charge!) I take the stock tires on stock rims, along with the new tires over there and they ...

CAN'T GET THE STOCK TIRES OFF???.

The guy said he has NEVER not been able to get ATV tires off the rims and he had changed hundred's of them. They tried every machine they had, they had THREE guys working to try to get one off at the same time. They worked on it for almost 30 minutes before they finally gave up. So now what do I do:confused: :confused:

-=Skot=-
02-15-2003, 06:44 PM
go pay the $31 at your local dealer

remlapr
02-15-2003, 06:51 PM
I am lookin for advice on getting the tires off - I have heard people talk about "cutting" the tires off, but I don't think just cutting the tires down the middle is going to do much:confused:

02-15-2003, 06:54 PM
.....local deaeler......

toby400ex
02-15-2003, 06:57 PM
try somewhere else, or cut em off:confused:

remlapr
02-15-2003, 10:15 PM
More input? - BUMP...

Braff1
02-15-2003, 10:17 PM
remlapr, did you find anything out with that place I told you about?

remlapr
02-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Hey - called, no answer, so I just started calling every place over in Clarksville - Michael tires said they would do it for $10 so off I went. I couldn't believe they couldn't break the beads. Do you know what is involved in cutting them off??

Braff1
02-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Did they leave the air in the tire? That is what I had to do to get it to break the bead.

remlapr
02-15-2003, 10:57 PM
reallyyy?? No - they took the air out of them first. Did it break easily WITH the air in it? How much psi? - They said they had 800 pounds of pressure on it, plus they were using a air hammer at the same time.

Braff1
02-15-2003, 11:07 PM
You need about 3-5 psi in the tire. Then it will come off. Just an old trick.

NavyDMO
02-15-2003, 11:22 PM
I just had this done today at a local place so I could install flush mount valves to flip the wheels. The guy had the same problem so he put like 30-35 pounds of air in and it worked. Try that and see if it works. Good luck.;)

ridered03
02-15-2003, 11:37 PM
That same thing happend to my one tire when i got them changed so they went ahead and cut it off.

remlapr
02-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by NavyDMO
I just had this done today at a local place so I could install flush mount valves to flip the wheels. The guy had the same problem so he put like 30-35 pounds of air in and it worked. Try that and see if it works. Good luck.;)

Thanks, I didn't know they could take that kind of psi. I am going to go over there and have them give it another try in the morning, if they still don't break - it's power tool time:devil

odie
02-16-2003, 12:35 AM
when I change customers atv tires you have to have air in the tire 10-15 psi,something around there,that will be able to get the first bead broken on the tire with a machine.after the first bead is loose the air will be out of the tire then you have to brake the second bead on the other side,that one can be a pain in the butt sometimes.some are real stubbern and you do what you got to do like use different tools or machines.

As for cutting the tire off,thats a waste of time,you can cut the tire of but the hard part is getting the beads of off the lip of the rim,there forced on by air pressure when you install the tire by putting 20-35 psi to seat the beads.if you have to cut them off be very careful not to cut the lip of the rim.

400MXer
02-16-2003, 01:23 AM
i agree 100% with what odie says. i've seen people take wire cutters and cut the bead off just to hurt the rim and not let the neew tire hold air very well. if you do cut the tire off the rim..be carefule not to mess up the rim at all.

400exRacerX
02-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Put air in it, I guess the tire shop by you has a bunch of idiots working there. Its common sense, if the bead doesnt break with no air in it, you put air in it and when the machine pushes down on the tire, the air gets compressed and acts as something for the machine to get leverage off of.

motoboy66
02-18-2003, 02:56 AM
try heating the rim. Honda uses that sealler on the tires and rims. Worked great for me with a manual tire changer.

QuadTrix6
02-18-2003, 11:10 AM
how hard is it to put a new tire on the rim yourself ? (tamers)

motoboy66
02-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Once the tire and rim are off the bike, I can do it in about 5 minutes. The hardest part is getting the bead broke. Once that is done all you need are tire irons and the tire comes right off the rim. I use an automotive manual tire changer my dad bought for $30.00, I think he got it from Harbor Freight. All I use this for is to break the bead. With the new tire on the rim, and some bead sealer it is all done. I have used a press to break the beads too. This takes a little linger though. I dont know of any other way to break the bead on your own. ATV tires are 10X easier to change than motor cycle tires. At least they are for me.

Todd

YLW400EX
02-19-2003, 12:01 PM
If you get the first side broke and then put some air back into the tire (but not enough to set the bead) it makes getting the other side off a lot easier. I use the same tire changer from Harbor Freight and it takes me about 5 minutes to change a set of tires.