PDA

View Full Version : Cr 500 link handling??

Conant19
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
i have a 05 jb framed crf with all the R geometry the rear is a stock length 89 swinger with a cr500 link does any one know how well they cr link works for flattrack and TT it also has a pep triple rate rear shock comp and rebound adjustment if that makes any difference thanks

Conant19
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
bump... has no one ever ran one on a tt or shorttrack???

mx Eli
03-06-2011, 04:01 PM
i know a buddy who has a walsh crf that has a crf 450 link and it works really good and if you had any quetions i would ask 97rocks he used to own that walsh and raced tt for along time

Conant19
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
ok thanks

MANIAK 88R
03-09-2011, 12:32 AM
The production yfz450 is basically a copy of laeger geometry. The link on the yfz is nearly identical to a cr500 link. There are tons of very successful TT/flat track yfz's out there.

To answer your question, under the right circumstances the 500 link would be excellent for TT or flat track.

The issue are basically how do you lower the height. You will need to fabricate a new longer lower link or have someone build you a short shock.

Besides the height issue, the CR500 link will work great.

mx Eli
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
if I could choose a rear end set up for flat track or tt I would by far choose a no link, lots of times they are easier to tune for differant tracks and they provide more direct traction.

you can get anything to work great with time and money. most of us just dont have either:devil:

MANIAK 88R
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Ya, the shop that I run with has had excelent luck on their Houser no-link. I have had issues with my Laeger bike. I need to lower my bike down alot more, I just haven't fabbed the link yet. On that Houser though, they just used a 17" front shock in the rear and it was perfect.

GOTFEAR
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
My buddy has a 250r larger with 500 link and the only racing he did was flat track and Tt won lot of races

mx Eli
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
the bad thing about fabing a longer link is it changes your leverage ratio and thats not good

talk to seth at sf racing he does amazing job on shocks

MANIAK 88R
03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I may be wrong here, not my specialty but here's my 2 cents.....

In the CR500 set up, the actual main linkage seems to be what determines the ratio.

The lower link simply attaches to the frame, by lengthening the lower link, the shock and main linkage would stay proportionate with each other therefore not changing the ratio.

The only thing I see possibly being affected would be the clearance from the linkage to the swingarm, or shock to the linkage. The linkage would rotate towards the rear of the bike.

It looks to me like about 1" in length would lower the bike almost 2" in height.

We did this on a YFZ linkage and it worked great, I haven't examined my Laeger to what I have for clearance though.

My plan was to throw a set of 17" shocks on the front and Ideally would be to have a 16.5" shock for the rear but cost may prove to be the most important factor.

gtilley45
03-10-2011, 03:08 PM
If you're talking about the part of the linkage that goes from the frame to the triangular piece with 3 holes in it......yes, it definitely changes the leverage ratio if it's longer. If you order an aftermarket linkage for a YFZ, that's all they send you and you have to run a rear shock that is built for that particular linkage. The length of that piece changes how vertical the shock is so I would think that would change leverage ratios.