PDA

View Full Version : Burgard a arm question

riotact
02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
I got some Burgard +2 +1 a arms and had a question on mounting them.Is the top arm supposed to stick out further then the bottom?I know I have them on there right they just dont look right to me and wanted another opinion.Thanks for any help you can give me!

riotact
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM

riotact
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM

dustin_j
02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Are you asking if the top a-arm is too far forward? Take a picture from above, looking down at the spindle. The upper ball joint should be slightly more towards the rear than the lower (positive caster). I'm guessing here, but maybe 1/8 - 1/4" difference?

EDIT: same picture as #2, just where we can see both ball joints (at least their centerline).

sneaky11
02-23-2011, 01:30 PM
here's a little litterature for you my friend!! if you read it all, you'll be able to set you good!!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

Scro
02-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that upper arm is supposed to be on the other side. It looks like you have too much negative caster. Swapping it to the other side would fix this.

riotact
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I'm pretty sure that upper arm is supposed to be on the other side. It looks like you have too much negative caster. Swapping it to the other side would fix this.

Maby I have both on the wrong side then.If I just switch the upper arms,the other one sits about 2" toward the rear of the bike.Ill have to try and swap them.Thanks

riotact
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Here is a pick with the spindle removed so you can see the ball joints and the part circled in red is what I was mainly concerned with untill Scro said it might be backwards.

Scro
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by riotact
Maby I have both on the wrong side then.If I just switch the upper arms,the other one sits about 2" toward the rear of the bike.Ill have to try and swap them.Thanks

Make sure the other one is not upside down. According to the angle of the balljoint, that right upper is right side up. Just need to be swapped to the left side.

riotact
02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Ok.I'll give it a shot this weekend and see how that works out.Do you think I have them both on the wrong side or just the upper?

Scro
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
The more I look at it, the more I second guess myself. It's hard to tell where the caster is from pics. Have you tried calling Burgard? He could probably tell you fairly quick if the less curved side goes toward the front or back.

riotact
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
No I didnt yet.I figured I'd look around here first,because I remember seeing a thread with someone having a picture of them mounted but the pictures on the thread have been removed

dustin_j
02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
You have the bottom a-arm installed correctly, and I'm pretty sure the top is also. Since they're +2+1 arms, the ball joints are further forward than stock, and you installed both arms this way.

I wonder if the top a-arm was made a little off. I believe the ball joint stud on the upper a-arm should be perpendicular to the quad frame, but it's at an angle. Also, the curved sides of the upper a-arm don't mount meet very symmetrically. Does the other upper a-arm look the same at the ball joint mount?

riotact
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
I haven't had a chance to get the other side on but will this weekend.I stopped after getting this side on and looked at it and thought this doesn't look right.I didnt really pay to much attention to the ball joins,I was more worried about the part of the upper a arm sticking out over the bottom one circled in red.The upper ball join is sitting 1/8 to 1/4" toward the rear of the bike.Yes the other upper arm at the ball joint mount looks the same as this one not symmetrical either.

dustin_j
02-24-2011, 06:55 AM
I agree with you that it doesn't seem right for the front of the upper a-arm to stick forward more than the lower. I think my brother-in law's a-arms are burgard +2+1's, and his don't look like yours. I would think an a-arm manufacturer would want to build the arm close to symmetric (impossible with the +1 forward, but you know what I mean). Also, since ball joints are circular, you can maximize travel and minimize wear when the pivot of the ball joint is perpendicular to the rotation of the arm on the frame (not sure if this makes sense in words). Are these new a-arms? I don't think I'd want to run them.

riotact
02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
No.I got them used.Ill get the other side hooked up and see how it looks and go from there.I did post a pic of this in the Burgard site sponsor thread.If I cant get it figured out Ill probly give him a call and send him a picture through email and see what he thinks.

CJM
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I think they are backwards (on the wrong sides).

riotact
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll get the other side on and take a pic of the whole thing together then Ill swap them to the opposite side and take another pic and see what you guys think.If I do have it on the wrong side,when I switch it the ball joint will be further to the back of the bike.I sure hope this is just a stupid mistake on my end :D

crownandmonster
02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Looks to me as if it has been bent. I would lean towards that especially if you bought them used.

riotact
02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I dont think they are bent.If you set them on a table next to each other they are both the same.Well except one is right hand and the other left.

bkelley
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
This is the best picture I could take with where my quad is at.

http://i.imgur.com/ikxuU.jpg

riotact
02-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks B.Would you happen to have a pic of the same side but just a little further back? It looks like yours stick out like mine do,maby I do have them right then.

bkelley
02-25-2011, 01:26 AM
I'll pull it out tomorrow and get some better pictures for you.

82toyota
02-25-2011, 03:53 AM
are u running stock shocks with thou +2 +1 a arms

riotact
02-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 82toyota
are u running stock shocks with thou +2 +1 a arms

I have a set of Works triple rates that are going to go on there after I get them rebuilt but for right now yes.I just made them stiffer.

Thanks for all the help on this guys.Izzy got back with me a few days ago and said yes they were installed the right way.

bkelley
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Good to hear. I was just checking back in to see if you had figured it out. Never got around to pulling mine out for some photos. Been really busy.