PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors.

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
So, how many of you own one???

I am a criminal justice student, i recently was riding along with a MSHP Trooper on I-70 in St.Louis. I asked him whether Radar Detectors Actually work.

The answer? Yes.

The problem? MSHP does not run a radar at all times. The Radar is turned on for a split second to get the speed then shut off. It is such a fast process that your radar detector will not even pick it up half of the time.

So I asked him, " then why do people buy them? ". He said " People buy them because they think it is going to help them avoid the police, but in reality they paid $200+ dollars for something that will alert them that they were just caught speeding. My advice to you is to save the money for the lawyer, because any good Trooper will get you anyway."

Scro
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I had one at one time, and can say that it alerted me most of the time when a cop was coming. For the times that I was speeding and it didn't alert me, the passing patrol man never tapped his brakes. That trooper's technique would work, but I would guess most aren't going to go through the hassle of doing it.

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I had one at one time, and can say that it alerted me most of the time when a cop was coming. For the times that I was speeding and it didn't alert me, the passing patrol man never tapped his brakes. That trooper's technique would work, but I would guess most aren't going to go through the hassle of doing it.

Yeah... hence his " any good trooper will get you. ".

honda400ex2003
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
lol never used one and dont have one in any of our cars. i just dont really speed more than 506 over most of the time.

steve

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
lol never used one and dont have one in any of our cars. i just dont really speed more than 506 over most of the time.

steve

Ha, same here....... Except i typically go 506.1mph over the speed limit..... not to be better than you are anything.... lol :devil:

honda400ex2003
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
you just dont get hit by the radar. i see how it works now. ;) thanks for the tip. Ill try it next time i am on my cbr. lol steve

ZeroLogic
02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I have an idea, don't speed.:eek:

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I have an idea, don't speed.:eek:

ha ha never heard of that one.... lol I actually don't speed unless i am passing someone. lol

400exrider707
02-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I run a valentine radar detector, which is more than $200 new hahaha.

There are not many cops around here who use instant on, most leave it running and troopers use laser. The detector by itself wont help against laser, but when coupled with laser jammers, it works wonders. You can still pick up instant on in traffic. Obviously if you're the only vehicle traveling down the highway, your chances of detecting and slowing down are decreased anyways.
Here's a good site for more info on radar detection.

www.radardetector.net

CJM
02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I can say I never got cited for speeding ever.

Maybe its the vehicle I drive, maybe its the fact I never exceed 10 over?

Also you learn alot of the time when driving for many hours where they would likely sit, its kinda obvious usually.

Another thing: when i drove a tow truck and the AAA service truck they would often ignore me or just spotlight me to warn me-hardly ever got pulled over.

Lasher
02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I live and drive most in CT but many years ago I had a good radar/laser detector.

At first it worked great. Then "instant on" radar detectors hit the market and all CT state cops had them. I could pick them up with enough time to slow down because they were trigger happy.

Then the "cancer scare" hit the cops. I guess there were a couple cops that got cancer down there and it might have been caused by the detectors. Cops were putting the instant on radar guns on their laps waiting for the next car to shoot. In order for the gun to be ready to fire, it was still charged in some way. In any event, shortly after all cops either had to have static radar guns mounted on the outside of the car or get laser.

Almost all the radar guns are now laser in the state. And without a jammer, the radar detector would tell me when I was shot. Which happened when I was doing 75 in a 65 (highway) and the middle car of a group. I saw the cop, she pointed it at me and then the detector went off.

Overall, I get less tickets without the detector than with it. I drive the same speed, but the difference is I slow down just a little before a curve or hill where I cannot see if a cop is hiding.

buck440
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
veil paint temporarily jams the radar. i'm considering doing this to my bike. it's pretty expensive.

http://www.buyradardetectors.com/products/veil/laser-veil.aspx

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 09:08 PM
I am not talking about hand-held guns. There mounted Radar's have remotes that have the feature.

fastredrider44
02-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Troopers have Lasers around here. I just get tickets.

slightlybent47
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
All they do lure you into a false since of security. Common since works much better. It’s real simple, they have to be able to see you to radar you and if they can see you, then you can see them. Don’t speed and you don’t have anything to worry about or at least only speed where they can’t catch you. My truck came with one built in but I never use it.
Driving an 18 wheeler for so long has taught me to be patient.

400exrider707
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Laser beams are just light that bounces back and gives a reading, anything you can do to reduce the area the laser can hit or the way it bounces back will reduce your chances of getting caught with laser. The veil stuff works well. Chrome bumpers are terrible, as they reflect right back. If you don't have to have a liscence plate on the front, get rid of it. Here in NY we have to have them on the front and back. Also if you ever take a picture with a flash of your car, notice how the liscence plate is ALWAYS lit up no matter which way you take the pic? They're designed this way so the light reflects directly back at the direction it's coming from. Not like a mirror where it bounces off a different direction. This is so they can hit it with laser and get an accurate reading.

A flat black car with a sleek design has better chances of not getting caught. The front end of my F250 with chrome bumper/grill is like a magnet for laser...

trailrider894
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Laser beams are just light that bounces back and gives a reading, anything you can do to reduce the area the laser can hit or the way it bounces back will reduce your chances of getting caught with laser. The veil stuff works well. Chrome bumpers are terrible, as they reflect right back. If you don't have to have a liscence plate on the front, get rid of it. Here in NY we have to have them on the front and back. Also if you ever take a picture with a flash of your car, notice how the liscence plate is ALWAYS lit up no matter which way you take the pic? They're designed this way so the light reflects directly back at the direction it's coming from. Not like a mirror where it bounces off a different direction. This is so they can hit it with laser and get an accurate reading.

A flat black car with a sleek design has better chances of not getting caught. The front end of my F250 with chrome bumper/grill is like a magnet for laser...

I asked about this exact thing... I would save your words and ask an officer to try to laser you some time while driving, with that veil paint or something like that... He will still get you. That stuff doesn't work. If they shoot the glass on your car, it will still read on the gun.

slightlybent47
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM

The reason the plate reflects so well is so they can read the plate. It has nothing to do with radar. The fact that it reflects so well is just a coincidence and it was never designed to reflect radar. The plates were designed well before radar or laser was even invented. All the myths were busted on myth busters. None of the trickes they used worked.

400exrider707
02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I asked about this exact thing... I would save your words and ask an officer to try to laser you some time while driving, with that veil paint or something like that... He will still get you. That stuff doesn't work. If they shoot the glass on your car, it will still read on the gun.

If you follow the link I originally posted to radardetector.net, you will see they actually have "track" days to test their equipment, yes it works. Mythbusters isn't going to air on national television a way to beat radar/laser detectors IMO.

400exrider707
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
The reason the plate reflects so well is so they can read the plate. It has nothing to do with radar. The fact that it reflects so well is just a coincidence and it was never designed to reflect radar. The plates were designed well before radar or laser was even invented. All the myths were busted on myth busters. None of the trickes they used worked.

Well they were designed for high visibility, most vehicles require a certain amount of area to be reflective. This is why registrations for snowmobiles and other vehicles work this way too.

A lot of things reflect light, but the liscence plates are unique in that they reflect it back at the exact angle it comes in at. Nothing else on your car does this, and is why when you take a pic with flash, the plate is lit up no matter what direction you're aiming. I guess I worded it wrong to make it sound like they were designed to work with laser, they were just designed to reflect light, and laser works very well with it!

If you don't think the VEIL stuff works, go on the radar detector forum and do some reading. You'll be surprised. A lot of members there own their own radar/laser guns for this reason, they TEST all of their equipment. Think what you want, there are ways around everything.

slightlybent47
02-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Well they were designed for high visibility, most vehicles require a certain amount of area to be reflective. This is why registrations for snowmobiles and other vehicles work this way too.

A lot of things reflect light, but the liscence plates are unique in that they reflect it back at the exact angle it comes in at. Nothing else on your car does this, and is why when you take a pic with flash, the plate is lit up no matter what direction you're aiming. I guess I worded it wrong to make it sound like they were designed to work with laser, they were just designed to reflect light, and laser works very well with it!

If you don't think the VEIL stuff works, go on the radar detector forum and do some reading. You'll be surprised. A lot of members there own their own radar/laser guns for this reason, they TEST all of their equipment. Think what you want, there are ways around everything.

Ok I can agree that they are not going to air something that will defeat radar. Just like the show Cops never show someone getting away, they only show the ones they catch.
But also anything you use to defeat a radar or laser is or will be illegal. Some states already outlaw radar detectors. They already are illegal in commercial vehicles.
Just drive the speed limit and you won’t have anything to worry about.lol It’s really not that hard.

I see some people flashing there lights to warn other drivers of a radar trap. Well excuse me!!!
It’s not my responsibility to warn you of a speed trap, and if they get you they will overlook me.lol I’ll help you if you need it but I won’t help you speed.

buck440
02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
old people lol

400exrider707
02-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Ok I can agree that they are not going to air something that will defeat radar. Just like the show Cops never show someone getting away, they only show the ones they catch.
But also anything you use to defeat a radar or laser is or will be illegal. Some states already outlaw radar detectors. They already are illegal in commercial vehicles.
Just drive the speed limit and you won’t have anything to worry about.lol It’s really not that hard.

I see some people flashing there lights to warn other drivers of a radar trap. Well excuse me!!!
It’s not my responsibility to warn you of a speed trap, and if they get you they will overlook me.lol I’ll help you if you need it but I won’t help you speed.

One of those high speed chase shows actually had a special air before called "the ones who got away." Only saw it once... Probably wont ever air again either.

Not everything is illegal in every state. Again, following the link I referenced they have a section broken down state by state to explain what is and what is not legal in each state. Radar jammers are illegal in almost every state, but laser jammers are not in all. Most cops would never know what a laser jammer is anyways, and the good ones double as a proximity sensor so you can tell the cop they're there for pulling in your small garage so you don't hit the wall.

You're 100% right, drive the speed limit and nothing to worry about! Believe it or not, there are actually people out there who consider this a hobby, not just for beating a speeding ticket. There are also people out there who feel the government shouldn't dictate how they drive with their vehicle. Just food for thought...

slightlybent47
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
There also talking about raising the speed limit again to 75 + on some roads. That’s fine for those who have newer vehicles that drive and handle great but you need to consider that not all cars and trucks are worthy of traveling safely at that speed. Not to mention that not everyone takes care of there car and drive them when there unsafe ie. bad breaks or bald tires. The speed limit is governed by more then just weather it’s a good road or not. You have other factors that go into setting the speed limit. Yes there are roads that are set to low but there are also some that are set too fast.

If there was no speed limit it would be crazy out there. I think there are some that just do it so they can feel like a bad boy and get there jollies putting the average public at risk.
If you want to drive fast then go to a track, it’s legal there!

fastredrider44
02-25-2011, 01:50 PM
slightlybent, you are absolutely right that not all vehicles need to be going fast. Some old vehicles with worn out bushings, tie-rod ends, steering boxes, pitman arms etc are hard to drive in a straight line above 45, and a lot of the people that drive those kind of vehicles don't have the money to fix them or even understand what that means. On the other hand, just because some people drive faster than others doesn't necessarily mean they're doing it to endanger the life of others. No excuse is a good excuse, blah blah blah, but not everyone is trying to get their jollies up endangering others.

slightlybent47
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I can only go by what I see. Sure there are those that obey the speed limit and sure I have been guilty of speeding myself, we all are. I live on a dead end street that has a trailer park at the end. Most everyone that comes out of that park, floors it all the way down my street and the speed limit is 30 but they routinely go 60-70 with kids riding bikes and walking down the road. There’s a time and place for everything but speeding around kids is not one of them. I don’t care how big of a hurry you’re in. There are many drivers that can’t handle the speed that is in place now!
Sure there are some drivers that have more skills than others but you have to set everything so the beginner driver can handle it.
It won’t mater what you post the speed at there will always be some that want to go faster.
For over 20 year I have driven an 18 wheeler from one end of this country to the other and everywhere in between. So I have some good experience and have seen more than most. And let me tell ya I have seen some crazy things!

goldfish
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a radar detector. Got it for $90. It's saved me from multiple tickets so its more then paid for itself.

One thing I think people do wrong with radar detectors is think that once they hook it up they will see every cop coming from a mile away and can do whatever speed they please. Which obviously isn't true.

My detector has spotted cops shooting radar around corners(neither of us can see each other) and you'd be surprised how many cops drive with their radar on. It's not foolproof by any means but the whole "by the time the detector goes off its too late" is not always true.

400exrider707
02-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by goldfish
"by the time the detector goes off its too late" is not always true.

It is with laser. Once the laser detector goes off, you've already been hit, now the only thing that could save you is laser jammers.

MO-EX-RIDER
02-27-2011, 02:29 PM

i have had 2 of these and it has saved me thousands in speeding tickets i did not get b/c it knew there was a cop with radar on miles before I could see him! worth every penny if your a commuter

400exrider707
02-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER

i have had 2 of these and it has saved me thousands in speeding tickets i did not get b/c it knew there was a cop with radar on miles before I could see him! worth every penny if your a commuter

Same one I'm running:macho

goldfish
02-28-2011, 08:03 AM
It is with laser. Once the laser detector goes off, you've already been hit, now the only thing that could save you is laser jammers.

well yea that's why I said "not always true"

stuntin andy
03-01-2011, 08:26 AM
i have radar deflectors