PDA

View Full Version : coil questions

pmg8134
02-23-2011, 08:05 AM
hey everybody! looking for some help with the coil on my ex. went to go change the plug twisted the boot to free it up and as i was pulling the boot off it seperated frm the wire. fiquire no big deal, go to push out the terminal inside boot to reconnect to the wire. it won`t come out and I look inside the wire I don`t even see wire.

1. new coils on e-bay don`t have boots on them as pictured, does this mean i can fix this with a trip to napa?
2. aftermarket coil or oem replacement?, there are a few out there with some claims of improved performance. any worth it?

thank you

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by pmg8134
hey everybody! looking for some help with the coil on my ex. went to go change the plug twisted the boot to free it up and as i was pulling the boot off it seperated frm the wire. fiquire no big deal, go to push out the terminal inside boot to reconnect to the wire. it won`t come out and I look inside the wire I don`t even see wire.

1. new coils on e-bay don`t have boots on them as pictured, does this mean i can fix this with a trip to napa?
2. aftermarket coil or oem replacement?, there are a few out there with some claims of improved performance. any worth it?

thank you

Not familiar with this problem, but i know that those " claims " are false... there is no improvement to be found with those aftermarket coils.

pmg8134
02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
appearently the boot threads on... thanks anyways

pmg8134
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
those claims sound great don`t they! thanks bud

rubbersdown
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
the boot itself is 400ex specific. You will have to re-use your old rubber boot. The terminal inside the boot, that should be on the end of the wire (cap that snaps onto the top of the spark plug) is generic, you should be able to get a new one from napa. It will come out of the boot, just tug a lil harder.

pmg8134
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
so.. i got it off. is that a fuse in there? thanks for the help I try and ask questions before i go tugging too hard at something....

trailrider894
02-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134
so.. i got it off. is that a fuse in there? thanks for the help I try and ask questions before i go tugging too hard at something....

No there is no fuse in there. :) Its better to make sure first... i broke more stuff in a day than i have in 4 years since i joined this forum.

pmg8134
02-23-2011, 12:57 PM
definately helpful! yeh there`s this little sealed fuse looking piece between the metal part the spark plug connects to and the plastic pice that connects to the coil wire.

togup
02-24-2011, 08:21 PM
The little"fuse" is not a fue its a ballast resistor ,it drops the amperage down to save your plug from dammage and your coil from over heating .there is a bunch of coil threads try the search