PDA

View Full Version : Getting teeth pulled?

CJM
02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Ok so I hate the dentist, it is about the only thing im afraid of. Not sure why, just irks me sitting in a chair and someone poking at you teeth and gums with those sharp pointy tools-plus its very uncomfortable imho.

Was just there and they said I have to have some wisdom teeth pulled. Im 25 and he mentioned it might be worse since Im older since they are rooted in.

I called the oral surgeon and they explained they can sedate me and yank them suckers out.

How bad is the recovery tho? I need to have 2 pulled...Heard horror stories of people getting dry sockets, infections, etc.

Pappy
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
You will be sore and tender but its not that bad. I loathe the dentist.....literally have to take a chill pill before they work on me. But ive had teeth pulled in the middle of the day and went right back to work but im a tough SOB:blah:

flint250trx
02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
i had mine done and went to work a few hours later. I was not put out for the process either. not too bad man i wouldnt worrie too much

i hate the dentist also.

honda400ex2003
02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
if you do what youre told you will be all set. Going night night is the best way for sure. couple of deep breathes of the gas and you are in la la land till you are all done and ready to roll out. mine were not in yet so i was stitched up a bit when i had all 4 of mine done. getting 2 that are in wont be bad.

you will get to sit on the couch and watch tv for a couple of days and eat soup and such but thats not really a big deal.

:D no worries :D

steve

CJM
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
yea def waiting for spring break then to do this. The last time I went they said they were impacted and I chickened out. That was 3 years ago..ugh I hate the dentist.

derekhonda
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah no sweat man you are just thinking too much into it. Do something funny when you wake up. You could be the next "david after dentist"

CJM
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Gotta understand my aversion to the dentist..

When I was 5 they drilled 3 cavities and never gave me any novocain.

honda400ex2003
02-22-2011, 03:55 PM
lol bummer

gotta get numbed up thats half the fun. hahaha

def a spring break type of deal for sure imo. I was out a couple of days but i had all 4 done. you should be fine within a day or so but it sucks to miss school at all when you have to actually pay.

steve

CJM
02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Yea thats why I think spring breaks the ticket. Ill just sit and eat the pain pills all day.

honda400ex2003
02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
youll be sleeping most of the first day probably. good time to catch up on sleep thats for sure. haha after that, smooth sailing from there.

steve

rageatvsupermom
02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
You will be fine, as long as you follow orders like not drinking anything carbonated for at least 24 hours, no smoking or drinking out of a straw. Use the ice pack as directed and take your meds you should not have any problems.
People who have problems usually had infections to begin with and you can't get the full affect of the anesthesia and you will feel some of what the Dentist is doing.
You will have a dry socket if you drink soda's or smoke or drink from a straw before the clot has settled, and a dry socket is worse than any tooth ache.

Good luck and it is not that bad!!!!!

fastredrider44
02-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Are you getting them pulled at the dentist or cut out by an oral surgeon. Huge difference.

CJM
02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Oral surgeon.

honda400ex2003
02-22-2011, 05:06 PM
http://smilieshq.com/smilies/tongue0014.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

good to go then, you will be sleeping like a baby. just dont hit on the helpers when you wake up. they have the good drugs handy...

http://smilieshq.com/smilies/tongue0013.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

steve

fastredrider44
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
You might ask if you need to go ahead and get all four done. I've had a few friends only get two then have to go back and get the other two later. I didn't have a problem. Woke up, puked from the anestia, like I always do, started eatin again and was good to go. Do as they say and you won't have a problem. I hear dry sockets suck so I did exactly as they said.

400grl
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Are yours impacted? I had all 4 of mine removed when I was 17....it was HORRIBLE. They said they probably should have put me under, but that was after the fact. They had to cut mine out and mine were impacted, so they had to break each tooth up and remove them in pieces - they also had to remove small slivers of jawbone in the process. I could hear EVERYTHING - I can still remember it all vividly!

Recovery also sucked.....I threw up from the pain pills and ripped my stitches....my face swelled up like a marshmellow and I couldn't open my mouth for at least two days once my jaws were swollen shut.

I had this done three days before I started college......should have been three WEEKS.

Good luck....mine was probably a worst case scenario - yours will probably go just fine! :)

CJM
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I only have two wisdom teeth, lucky me..

400grl
02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Well, there ya go! Only half the trouble! :)

kt1148
02-22-2011, 05:55 PM
I had all 4 removed when in the Air Force at 19yrs old. Took about 2 hours, wasn't put out, just local anesthesia. Honestly, the best experience with a dentist that I can remember. Ended up with one dry socket because of the angle the tooth was at, no biggie, a local oral surgeon packed it with gauze/medicine (free of charge) and I was fine.

ricksmx865
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I had mine out last year... I dont know what the hell they gave me but i sure was f'd up when I left.

when I went for a check up after the doc. asked me about my quad... appearently I went on a rant when they woke me up about how im always breaking the sob lol

of course i dont remember anything

finsteratv
02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
You will be sore and tender but its not that bad. I loathe the dentist.....literally have to take a chill pill before they work on me. But ive had teeth pulled in the middle of the day and went right back to work but im a tough SOB:blah:
i guess im a tough one too
i had 4 wisdom teeth pulled out and braces put on the day before...2 days later i was packing out an elk :muscle: ohh yeah!

hondariderdylan
02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I had all 4 of mine taken out last tuesday and it wasnt as bad as i figured. They gave me gas, then a needle in the arm for an I/V sedation and i woke up about 7 hours later with my mouth crammed full of gauze. Stopped bleeding a day or two after and as long as i kept up with the 2 tylenol 3 times a day i felt fine unless i bit down on something around that area.

The worst part for me was not being able to eat like normal. But hell, i went to a japanese steak house 3 days after the procedure, looked at the menu, said **** it and ordered a NY strip. Just chew with the front of your mouth for a while and you should be set.

madskrillz2
02-23-2011, 12:23 PM
It will probably suck but hey they'll probably give you some feel good pills so you won't even care.

slainwarrior
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
i had all 4 out this past saturday... every 8 hours or so i take a few advil and im good.. after 2 days i was eating normal food again just have to make an effort to chew more in the front of my mouth and swoosh water around when ur done eating to clean out the sockets... and ive been told u only get dry sockets if u suck on straws or smoke ciggs..

buck440
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
i went with it because the give me a big bottle of percasets. man i love my opiates:blah: :eek2:

madskrillz2
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by buck440
i went with it because the give me a big bottle of percasets. man i love my opiates:blah: :eek2:

Lol I wasn't gonna just come out and say it. Glad you did first. :chinese:

buck440
02-23-2011, 07:31 PM
lol, i would not shower a few days before you go though. some/most dentist like to feel your junk when your knocked out.

finsteratv
02-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by buck440
lol, i would not shower a few days before you go though. some/most dentist like to feel your junk when your knocked out.

come again :huh

honda400ex2003
02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
didnt see that coming... i would def shower, you dont want to have them all sick from stink when they are next to you trying to work on your mouth.

steve

buck440
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
these things do happen people. if its a girl doing it then its all good.

Sjorge450R
02-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Ive been putting this off for 2 years now and I am actually getting nervous. The longer you wait the worse it is. All I know is that I am not getting them removed if I am not knocked out.

As like you, CJM, I had 3 cavities filled when I was younger with no Novocaine.....terrible experience. I will go between oral surgeons until I find one that will sedate me, because I have heard that some just use numbing agents and keep you awake....no thanks

woodsracer144
02-27-2011, 11:51 AM
depends on your dentest, I got two pulled out in DEC and they wernt bad, i took the day off from work cause i didnt know how bad it would be, he also loaded me up with drugs if i felt pain i just had to raise my hand and i got a little more novacane. i get my last one pulled tomorrow. thats the worst one cuase my gums are really high around it.

CJM
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Welp its done, they put me out and I dont even remember waking up. It doesnt hurt to bad and Im not bleeding horribly either.

Amazing they put me out and 20 mins later it was all done. i was thinking it was gonna be a heck of alot worse. Drilling cavities was worse than this.

honda400ex2003
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
congrats bro! its no big deal, gotta love the gas. :D cheers to being goofed up when done with that.

steve

finsteratv
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
congrats bro! its no big deal, gotta love the gas. :D cheers to being goofed up when done with that.

steve
haha can say that again
when i had mine done i was all trippy and talking about riding then i started dry heaves :p

honda400ex2003
03-11-2011, 02:03 PM
lol i woke up talking to everyone in the hospital after my arthro i had done on my knee in may. lol they said i was hilarious cause i just kept talking to everyone. :D gotta love that stuff man. steve

finsteratv
03-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
lol i woke up talking to everyone in the hospital after my arthro i had done on my knee in may. lol they said i was hilarious cause i just kept talking to everyone. :D gotta love that stuff man. steve
haha same here, i broke my nose and needed surgery because it was wayyyyyyy outta wack to the side. :D

CJM
03-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Wish it was gas, they gave me an injection but IDK everythings ok. Yea it hurts a bit and Im swollen a bit and the novacaine is taking a long time to wear off but Im fine otherwise.

I had heard horror stories from so many I expected the worst.

axellmusic19
03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Good job! I had 5 wisdom teeth pulled a week ago and I thought it would be pretty bad but nope it took a day to recover and was back at it with very little pain. After all though, I am a veteran with 13 total pulled teeth now. :confused:

RedSonya
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
If you do get dry socket, no pill will help that pain. You'll go back to the oral surgeon, and he will pack it with a little sponge soaked in eugenol. Eugenol is the medical term for clove oil. If you can't get to the surgeon right away, or if the packing falls out, you can get clove oil at pharmacies - it's non-prescription, just ask the pharmacist for it. Just dab a little bit on the socket and it feels better right away. Symptoms of dry socket are acute pain and insanely bad breath. I got it a couple of days after I had one wisdom tooth pulled (just novocaine and it didn't hurt). More women than men get it and it's usually a lower tooth.

bens250ex
03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
Ive been putting this off for 2 years now and I am actually getting nervous. The longer you wait the worse it is. All I know is that I am not getting them removed if I am not knocked out.

As like you, CJM, I had 3 cavities filled when I was younger with no Novocaine.....terrible experience. I will go between oral surgeons until I find one that will sedate me, because I have heard that some just use numbing agents and keep you awake....no thanks

hell i would do it again, that stuff they give you is insane. One sec your talkin the next you are wakin up sayin WTF happened :p . i have had teeth pulled while awake it sucked, the sound is the worst. Just tell them you want to be knocked out or your not doin it, its well woth it lol :blah:

Aarons 01 400EX
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I had all of mine pulled while in the Army. One during basic training. I missed the grenade throwing practice, that morning and was able to go later that afternoon with another unit. I didn't miss any work, nor did I have discomfort.

The other three came while stationed at Ft. Hood. I sat in the chair they said breathe this, and the next thing I remember was waking up 3 hours later in the same chair with drool running out of my mouth. They told me not to drink any alcohol for a day or two, but I went out partying that night without any problems.

My brother on the other hand had a horrible experience with his. His cheeks were swollen for a week and had several issues.

HondaRacing83
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
never had wisdom teeth pulled. but about 2years ago i had a permanant front tooth pulled. i was playing golf and i hit a ball and somehow it came straight up and sheared over half of the tooth off. had to sit through a root canal when the dentist thought they could jus fix it. then when the root canal was over they realized it wasnt gonna work so they just pulled it out. now i have a fake tooth. that comes in and out. it hurt like hell after the numbness wore off. and bled like a *****.

CJM
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
So far everythings good, the one is still a bit tender but the other ones fine.

I refused to do it while I was awake, its the mental picture you see when they grab those pliers and the noises of things being ripped out of you. Coincidentally ive hurt myself far worse than most people and got stitched up and it was no big deal, but teeth bother me like the dickens.