PDA

View Full Version : ESR TRX5 vs. Duncan Race Pipe

danhung11
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on this above pipe comparison? I want more mid-range for my new build and want to get some feedback on this. I currently have the TRX5's.

The motor will be ported to whatever pipe I choose to run, 38A/S, V-Force 3, CT310 Pro-X jug, No AirBox, Etc.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

danhung11
02-22-2011, 05:25 PM
I know I hate these types of posts, too. 39 views, no replies???

That said, any one shed some light on a Duncan Race Pipe? I'm building an MX/play bike.

Thanks,
Dan

mx91a
02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I used to run the Duncan race pipe, the 89 TRAX RACE, still have it actually. It had great low and mid power but you had to shift it early as it wouldn't rev out too well. I switched to the FMF Fatty and that seemed to work better overall, similar low and mid but much better top end. I remember overshooting jumps after switching pipes when I was used to hitting them pinned with the race pipe, took a little getting used to! I think Paul Turner fixed the lack of top end though with the 2003 version of the pipe, try to get the newer version if you can find one. Hope this helps.

Also I am interested in what people have to say about the TRX-5 and the new version 5R. Supposed to be a good all around pipe.

danhung11
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I've had some experience with TRX5's, both regular and centermount. They have great low to mid, and all around mid range just want some more up top. Plus, I just want to try something else out - regret selling my Type 6 I received with a bunch of spare parts. I like both 5's though, better than the CT mid range and FMF fatty I've had.

Any others out there?

troybilt
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Sparks MX won this shootout... good read on pipes.
Article:

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

Dyno Charts:

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_charts.htm

danhung11
02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Sparks MX won this shootout... good read on pipes.
Article:

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

Dyno Charts:

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_charts.htm

One of the dyno run comparison files actually shows the two pipes I'm considering, or now have. Interesting, to see them so close in power but have heard the PT Race gives a little more top end.

Looks like I'm changing graphics after already purchased. :mad:

dtowndiesel
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
You'll save big $$$$ buying an ESR pipe.

I'd also take into consideration where your money is going. ESR is doing everything it can to keep 250r aftermarket parts available to us. And look at how many new parts they're developing, (cylinders, quick change covers, billet parts etc.)

What is Duncan doing for our 250r community?

I'd go ESR all day long.

danhung11
02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
This is just a nice used pipe I stumbled across. I totally hear what you are saying about ESR, and have given them my money and probably will continue to do so. I have two TRX5's now, might part with the regular mount. I want a TRX9 centermount for my other bike, but want to try a PT pipe for the mid-range.

I will add, they need to get someone else working the phones instead of Tom. That guy just sounds disorganized when talking to on the phone, not to boot the hold time. Finally, I just hung up.

matt250r21
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Dan, I switched from a Sparks TT pipe to the older ESR TRX-5 pipe and noticed the 5 pipe had more low end and reved out about the same or better. It must have been a difference to me because at the time I remember yelling out hell yeah when I shifted into 4th. I'm pretty sure the Sparks MX pipe and the Duncan 89 Race pipe are very similar. I know the Sparks MX pipe, I've tested it and prefer the TT pipe over it for MX racing.

I would say get the ESR TRX-9 pipe but get it bare no cheap chrome and ask them to weld the logo on, not to pop rivit it.

wild250rman
02-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by dtowndiesel
You'll save big $$$$ buying an ESR pipe.

I'd also take into consideration where your money is going. ESR is doing everything it can to keep 250r aftermarket parts available to us. And look at how many new parts they're developing, (cylinders, quick change covers, billet parts etc.)

What is Duncan doing for our 250r community?

I'd go ESR all day long.
It is a 2 way street...

danhung11
02-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by matt250r21
I would say get the ESR TRX-9 pipe but get it bare no cheap chrome and ask them to weld the logo on, not to pop rivit it.

That's what I plan to do. I have a nice ESR TRX5 Regular Mount for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Dan

Michael88R
02-23-2011, 10:14 PM
I've been thinking about the same comparison. I run the trx5, std. mount. I have a PT 03' race pipe, but have never tried it out yet. I was thinking/hoping to gain a bit more low and midrange with the PT race pipe. If you want more top end, you might consider the Eliminator.

mx91a
02-24-2011, 05:11 AM
What port durations does the TRX-5 pipe seem to work best with for you guys?

danhung11
02-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by mx91a
What port durations does the TRX-5 pipe seem to work best with for you guys?

I'm not educated enough on 2-stroke porting to answer your question.

Matt - spoke to Tom today regarding a bare TRX9, those will be ready in about 2 months. They just sent out a large batch to the plater. I did ask if it was the same, he said yes. As far as a price for bare, it wasn't bad.

Becareless06
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
what are you asking for the trx 5 pipe dan?

danhung11
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Becareless06
what are you asking for the trx 5 pipe dan?

$275 shipped. It's SOLD though.

pinitatv
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Dan,

I think the eliminator could be something to consider and if interested I have a BRAND NEW one on the shelf Chrome of course never mounted.

danhung11
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
PM sent.

mx91a
02-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Nice Eliminator pipe! I was bidding on one a few weeks ago on ebay but lost at the last second :( How do you think it compares to the TRX-5? I was thinking they would be pretty similar in power, maybe less bottom since it is a mid-top end pipe, probably more like a Sparks TT pipe.

danhung11
02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
PM me method of payment, I'll take the pipe.

Thanks,
Dan

Grande Huevos
02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
i have a brand new esr trx 5 pipe only been used for about 5 hrs i would be willing to let go or trade for a trx9 if anybody is interested

danhung11
03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
The quality of these Paul Turner pipes are top notch, blow any pipe out of the water when it comes to quality/finish. I've had ESR, FTZ, CT, FMF, and this PT is a work of art compared to the others. Let's hope the performs!

Thanks again Jody!
Dan

mx91a
03-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Yes they are very nice pipes! I was comparing my old race pipe to the Sparks MX pipe I just got and like how the PT uses three springs at the big joint versus 2 on the sparks. I never had a problem with that joint leaking but did have to have some spring hooks made and brazed on because a few of the originals broke off and the mount is a little cracked at the pipe weld but racing is hard on the equipment!

I'm curious how it performs compared to the TRX5 when you get it installed, let us know!