PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear went today

nkillian9
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
well i have been bragging about my 08 lasting well i got to insert foot in mouth today got almost a yr and aa half out of it can pick up stock gears new on ebay for 100 compared to the atps at like 600 as much as id like to get the atps my broke but gonna have to settle with the stockers and hope i get another yr and a half out of them it will be the first time ive ever tore into the bottom end of a four stroke so wish me luck just gonna go step by step with the shop manual and hope for the best if all ends well should only cost me around 200 after gaskets and all with some labor thrown in the mix is there anything i should know be4 getting this project started any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

blholtz
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Pay very close attention to the the way the oil pumps go together, other than that it will be just like taking apart a two stroke bottom end.

nkillian9
02-21-2011, 08:12 AM
gotchya thanks i will keep a close eye on this i have a ggod size table in my shop that way i can pull everything out and laid out in the order taken apart

bigbad400
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
clean that mother... goood real good... real real good. u should pull your clutch apart and clean it, pull anything apart that could have got a metal shaving in it and clean it, you want that baby spotless, one shaving gets in your crank bearings and you loose your whole motor. clean clean clean.... and clean some more, leave no used oil in anything or on anything it could have shavings. and once more just be very careful to lay things out how they come apart like you said. you should be fine. its not rocket science but it does require attention to detail.

nkillian9
03-01-2011, 02:24 AM
well third gear drive and driven came in today got it busted apart and gears replaced. Tired now imma button the cases up tomorrrow and wait on gaskets to come in to finish up. Not bad at all.

nkillian9
03-03-2011, 01:31 AM
gaskets came in today and motor is back together imma clean frame and everything up tomorrow and have motor back in by friday i broke third gear and replaced it myself and only missed one weekend of riding imma have to give myself a pat on the back lol

nkillian9
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
well didnt get up in time to finish be4 work, all i have left is topping it off with fluids and putting pipe, tank coil and plastics man almost makes me wanna call in today lol