PDA

View Full Version : 235 main jet

togup
02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Im running a 235 main in my 42mm keihin with the e clip third notch from the bottom and still lean my next move will be to index drill the jet up to the next size unless you carb experts know some carb tuneing tricks, I will list the engine mods that I beleive are of consequence;
460 stroker with 11.5.1
heavy port and polish
larger valves
jug milled .005
yoshi hedder and pipe
42mm keihin
intake bored to match carb
velocity intake (no box)
K&N filter

CJM
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
I dont think there is much you can do at this point besides drilling it yourself. Unless you find some other jet that works and you can get larger sizes.

trx400Rider
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
How fast is that EX????

82toyota
02-21-2011, 01:14 AM
go have it dyno that way it done right and find out how much power it make.......it like under 100 dollar that way u dont lean it out.......not trying to be rud or anything just saying

togup
02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by trx400Rider
How fast is that EX????

I have'nt let it rip due to the lean issue but when the tires catch traction it hurts ,a neck brace should be recommended

togup
02-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 82toyota
go have it dyno that way it done right and find out how much power it make.......it like under 100 dollar that way u dont lean it out.......not trying to be rud or anything just saying

sounds like smart advice although im not very familiar with dyno's wouldnt know where to start,are they the same for a car or are they different for an atv or motorcycle?

togup
02-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I dont think there is much you can do at this point besides drilling it yourself. Unless you find some other jet that works and you can get larger sizes.

I dont know Ive always just got lucky with jetting ,nowhere close to being an expert besides it being lean it starts with 2-3 pumps with no choke will idle almost instantly (im at sea level by the way)so really dont want to screw that up!

Scro
02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by togup
sounds like smart advice although im not very familiar with dyno's wouldnt know where to start,are they the same for a car or are they different for an atv or motorcycle?

They are different for ATV's. DC Cycle in Red Bay, AL has one, and is probably closest to you. He also has an air/fuel meter to get your jetting perfect. His prices are very reasonable. Tell him I sent you.

tri5ron
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Just some food for thought here, but 235 is huge and your still runnunig lean?
I would first double check for any intake leaks between the carb and head. Start it up, and before it warms up, spray a little starter fluid around the rubber intake manifold boot to check for any cracks or leaks.

maybe you don't have any air leaks, but you surely want to verify that before spending money on dyno time. the last thing you want, is to get set up on the dyno, only to discover that you have a simple problem that needs to be fixed first.

All I'm saying, is it can't hurt to check it out.

Also, when getting ready to head out to the dyno, make sure you have just adjusted your valves, cleaned your airfilter, changed your oil and filter. adjusted your throttle cable, and have fresh fuel in the tank.

Wheelie
02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
The largest production Keihin main is a 230, anything larger than that you have to drill your own. There's a conversion chart online that crosses Keihin's size over to thousands of an inch. IIRC the main jet orifice size on my 240 is .098.

82toyota
02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
there have to be one some where around where u live......i go to the one in Tulsa Ok sandtrax.......

togup
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
The largest production Keihin main is a 230, anything larger than that you have to drill your own. There's a conversion chart online that crosses Keihin's size over to thousands of an inch. IIRC the main jet orifice size on my 240 is .098.

your motor is in the same ballpark as mine but im not running E85 does the E 85 effect the jetting much and if so which direction, thanks for the info its very helpful

togup
02-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Scro
They are different for ATV's. DC Cycle in Red Bay, AL has one, and is probably closest to you. He also has an air/fuel meter to get your jetting perfect. His prices are very reasonable. Tell him I sent you.

thanks Scro ill do that, appreciate the info

Wheelie
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by togup
your motor is in the same ballpark as mine but im not running E85 does the E 85 effect the jetting much and if so which direction, thanks for the info its very helpful

E-85 drastically affects jetting. On 50/50 gas/race gas I was running a 48 pilot and 200 main. My sig shows what I'm running with the corn blend.

togup
02-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
E-85 drastically affects jetting. On 50/50 gas/race gas I was running a 48 pilot and 200 main. My sig shows what I'm running with the corn blend.

I see what you mean I wont be running E85 (due to its current unavalibility on the coast ) I was just wondering what the differential between the two fuels and jetting were ,so thanks for the info anyway