PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust studs

mikeB
02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I decided to heat wrap my header and got it off but i snapped 2 of the studs.. i got one out already by welding a 3/8's nut on the end and got it out that way but the last one will not budge..

I've been spraying it with PB blaster and tried to weld a nut on the end of itt but nothings happening.

If i cant get it out this week im taking the head off and putting it on a milling machine and drilling it out nice and slowly. as a last resort.

Any suggestions?

tri5ron
02-20-2011, 08:11 PM
sounds like it's stuck pretty good. Here's a cut'n'paste from an old comparison test I once read.
Maybe it can help...

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!
They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ............ ......... 516 pounds

WD-40 ............ ...... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............ ..214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

If this dosent work for you, then about the last resort would be heat and vibration with a air hammer. Be careful not to damage anything, and good luck.

CJM
02-20-2011, 08:29 PM
If you do drill it out dont even bother helicoiling it, drill and tap it for a different size.

I had a similar issue, finally drilled and tapped to fit the next size up bolt, cut the head off the bolt and made my own stud.

sneaky11
02-21-2011, 06:01 AM
HAve you try to just make a little weld spot at the end of the stud? that will tighten the molecule of the iron and probably after that you can take a bolt extractor and pull it out... in between try the home brew mix (that is something essential in a garage) it will be easier...

mikeB
02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
thanks guys, the helps greatly appritiated. im gonna have totry that thiss week. THANKS!!