PDA

View Full Version : Polishing old bolts?

bigmatt61
02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I thought I read on here a while back a thread about cleaning up older bolts. More specificly polishing or tumble polishing the to try and "restore" them somewhat.
I'm almost positive Troybilt was involved somehow, and had some info on this. I must be blind cause I can't seem to find it.
Does ANYONE have any info on polishing or tumble polishing bolts?

Matt

troybilt
02-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Yea I'll try and find the thread, but the moral was tumble polishing wouldn't work... rsss396 said that is doesn't work... I still want to try it though eventually, if not just for cleaning the bolts... I know in high volume production settings, the vibratory tumble polishing is the norm... but not sure if that gets you the same shine as what a rotary polish will do.... I know the brass on bullet cases gets pretty shiney and they use vibratory polishers to polish jewelry... but I have no personal experience. Just seen it done on precious stones and metals...

troybilt
02-20-2011, 07:19 PM
This thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=459386&highlight=bolts

Pumashine
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
The term polishing by tumbling or with a vibratory medium does not give high quality results. The term used by ebay sellers misrepresents what we in the real world consider polishing. They call it show quality polishing.

The best results are obtained by glass bead blasting all rust from the bolts. Then go through each one and polish the head being careful not to remove any of the flats used to torque the bolt down. Once they are cleaned and polished your local zinc plating shop will plate them for the minimum fee.

Troy researched the plating process but it is time consuming and costs more than taking them to your local platers.

The other option is to get them chrome plated. Big $$$.

DnB_racing
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Ive used the ultrasonic type cleaners ...they do a good job removing the surface debris and rust ,,but do nothing to remove the stains,

for that I use a dermal with the polishing wheels, very time consuming but this process doesnt destroy the bolts at all, they come out, not bad.
but not a show finish. but very respectable

but better then spending alot of money, its either time or money, it all depends on which you have more of

C-LEIGH RACING
02-21-2011, 08:11 AM
This is the cheap way, wont last forever though.

Go to Auto Zone & get a can of the yellow Anodize spray paint, (Anodize colors) it is like a clear tint paint, then take those bolts & nuts & clean them up good with a bench grinder has a wire brush.
Wire brush them untill they shine. After that take some carb cleaner that has Acetone in it & spray them down good to clean them then spray on a lite coat or two of the Anodize yellow paint.

What you end up with, is a bolt looks like a new cad plated bolt.

Heavier you apply the paint, darker it gets, so only do like coats.
Neil

250Rhonda
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
What about using a electrolytic technique?

Here is the link:Electrolytic Rust Removal (http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm)

DnB_racing
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 250Rhonda
What about using a electrolytic technique?

Here is the link:Electrolytic Rust Removal (http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm) that's the type I used, and it still leaves the stain, but does a nice gently job without rounding off any edges or threads.

clean but not nice and shiny!!