PDA

View Full Version : Melted the oil cap?

Unverfehrt400ex
02-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Anyone ever had this happen to them or heard of this happening? I went out to go ridin today(haven't ridin in two weeks) and when i hopped on i saw this. Not sure how the hell this happened.

eastside 400
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
is your pipe tight? it wouldnt of melted like that from just engine heat since the bottom really isnt melted. no chance you took it off and sat it on something hot and never noticed it when you put it back on? if it did melt from just getting hot then your engine is getting way too hot

RATPACK Z400
02-20-2011, 11:20 PM
If thats the pipe above the plug in picture you first should check your jetting if pipe gets that hot! cause that pretty far for heat to melt something at normal temp,s .

Bradracer18
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I see little bits of oil in there....I'd make sure that hose behind the pipe isn't melted too!

And....I agree on checking your jetting

MX450
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
It does look like there is a little stream of oil coming from that black hose to the oil filler cap. I would imagine if your jetting was that far off, and it was getting your pipe hot enough to melt that then A. you would have burned your boot/leg as well, and B. your motor probly would have blown.

DnB_racing
02-21-2011, 08:16 PM
are you sure someone didnt swap out the cap?? like from a snow blower or lawn mower??? does anyone have access to the quad(little brother) pot smoking friends??

if you jetting was that far off to melt the cap your whole pipe would be glowing red and it would be obvious

Scro
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I've seen this happen before to a pro bike. But it was 100 degrees, wide open for 2+ hours. Check to make sure you radiator is flowing properly. Make sure you change the oil regularly. Also, if it got hot enough to melt the cap, it probably also got hot enough to melt parts of the stator. I would check that before riding again.

Unverfehrt400ex
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the reply's guys. i'm away at college and wont be home for two weeks so i'll have to check it out then. Everything seems to be running fine and i'm pretty sure the jetting is good. Little brother aint supposed to be riding it but i will definetely be giving him a call tomorrow to find out.