PDA

View Full Version : Those with sportbikes...what was your 1st bike?

mrusk
02-15-2003, 03:21 PM
I am really interested in getting a motorcycle. I been reading all the magizines and all the online forums i could find. I have been visiting the cycleworld fourms for a while and learned it isn't good to start on a 600ss. So i am not going to get a cbr, gsxr or a R6. My dad won't let me get any of those anyway.

So i narrowed it down to the sv650s or the yzf600r. I know the sv will be a good starter bike, but how will the yzf600r be? I know it is heavier and has less hp then the other 600's.

No matter what bike i get i will not go 100mph or ride like a jackarse. On my R i don't even do wheelies and endos, so i don't plan on doing endos at every stop sign. I plan on being a responsible rider and am taking the MSF course. So do you guys think i will be ok on the 600r? It will only cost me a few hundred more then the sv.

Matt

Ben
02-15-2003, 03:58 PM
A YZF600r is a fast bike - and a true sportbike, right up there with a GSXR600 and R6, but with a little older technology. As long as you have a good head on your shoulders, and don't think with your righthand, you should be ok on a 600 class bike, in my opinion of course. An SV650 would be a good choice as well. I recommend you check out the rec.motorcycle.sportbike group for lots of good information. Just for reference my first bike was a 97 GSXR600 and I loved it, very fast but I have a cool head (and a controled right hand) and didn't take chances.

Ben

jerry-89-250R
02-15-2003, 04:56 PM
My first street bike was a 1967 Honda 90 "yes i'm getting old" i have had at least 30 others since then, 750's, nighthawks,magna's, cbr's, vfr's, and now honda's first naked bike 95 cb1000. How old are you? any experience riding on the street? If this is your first street bike, a 600 is a very fast bike "any of them". They are not toys, and pavement hurts more than dirt. My son is a excellent dirt-rider "bike's and atv's", he had and could handle a cr-125 at 14, he wanted a street bike so he could ride with me. He took the msf course got his m/c license, after we had ridden some around 400 miles he said "this is not for me" these cars scare me too much too enjoy riding, he's 17 now stills loves the dirt, but hasn't ridden a street bike since. I have ridden 33 years now and i'm still here.

BrianWrightR6
02-15-2003, 05:06 PM
My first bike was and still is a Yamaha R6, I have rode many a streetbike and have not found one yet that compares in the handiling and feel of the R6.

mrusk
02-15-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm going to be 17 in 2 months.

One of my friends has a 02' R6 and he seems to be doing ok with it. He has had a few cloes calls but hadnt had any accidents or lay downs in 3k miles. I also know another kid with a ducati 996 as his first bike and hes doing ok too.

I think i wil be ok with the 600r as long as i keep a good head on shoulders. If my dad oks this bike i will get it over the sv.

I live in the country. We got loads of nicely paved back roads with little traffic. I plan to ride the first 1k miles ALONE.

matt

4punksdad
02-15-2003, 07:01 PM
there are a lot of good used bikes out there. I prefer the naked bike myself..............
motorcycles are cop magnets to begin with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why add to your troubles by riding something that will catch the attention of the cops?

Be careful on the road................not many cars look out for us road bike guys these days.

Glow Plug
02-15-2003, 07:06 PM
i would test ride bikes first to see which you feel more comfortable on but anyway have some fun with it :D

jerry-89-250R
02-15-2003, 07:44 PM
4punksdad is right the racing bike do attract the attention, and the cars sure don't look out for us 4punksdad here's a pic of my naked 95cb1000

4punksdad
02-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jerry-89-250R
4punksdad is right the racing bike do attract the attention, and the cars sure don't look out for us 4punksdad here's a pic of my naked 95cb1000

good looking bike jerry...........I wanted a cb-1000 but I came across my zr-1100 for around 2500 and had to jump on the deal. :)

jerry-89-250R
02-15-2003, 08:02 PM
that was a good deal, not many of them around either

02-15-2003, 08:04 PM
if i was gonan ride a streetbike i think it would be a cbr or a chopper

RytM1
02-15-2003, 08:24 PM
My first bike was a 1987 GSXR-750. Had to get rid of that after a year or so, and got 1998 FZR600 a few years later (not my first choice, but I couldn't pass up the deal). I now have a 2000 ZX-7R, and couldn't be happier. The MSR course is a good thing to take, and will also give you a small break on your insurance (and I re-emphasize, smalllll). The class is also nice because depending on what kind of bike you buy, it may not make it through the obstacle course portion of your drivers' license test, and you can get your license classification using the course's bike. Whatever you get, hopefully you stick to your word, and go easy on the throttle, it's realllllll easy to get carried away.

RAPTORLE
02-15-2003, 09:09 PM
My first bike was an R6.....awesome bike!!!!

Now I have a 2002 R1.......AWESOME-ER bike!!!

I look at this way. All bikes can be dangerous when you are dealing with traffic. I'm sure you will here this a million times, but ALWAYS watch what other cars are doing!!!!

Just be careful and start out easy. Take it slow until you get comfortable with how your bike handles.

And take the class too. It should definitely help if you are a beginner.

Good Luck!!!

Moded86R
02-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Right now I have a ninja 500 sitting in an old house trailer next to my house.I gaurantee you I can go start it up.I bought it for 100 dollars from a buddy of my brother in law.He got it and laid it over and it slide into a tree.Broke the fairing and the peices that cover the sides.I have rode it before and it has plenty of power for me.I haven't priced new sides and stuff for it yet.That is on my list to do.

I acctaully bought it to put the motor in a go-cart.But after I rode it I realized it was a little to much power for a go-cart.I am not sure what I am going to do with it.They sure are fun though!I also rode a 250 ninja that is the only bike I have rode on the street.It was pretty slow though.