PDA

View Full Version : clutch basket notching

ronny
02-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I was looking around and can't really find an anwser. While replacing my clutch plates i've seen some grooving in my clutch basket and really would like to know how much grooving is too much before should replace my basket. Im not really sure at all whats too much or what just minor?
Thanks

DnB racing
02-20-2011, 01:19 PM
your right about not finding any limits.. from all the books and manuals the limit they set is (severe groves)...so I would say if its the worst you have seen then replace,

they all have groves, as long as nothing hangs up then run it,
its one of those personal preferences, how far will you take it,I put my discs and plates in and feel it if its sloppy i change

machwon
02-20-2011, 05:14 PM
ronny, one of the best ways to tell is when you let the clutch out, can you feather it out easy without it grabing instantly? A good basket will let you ease it into gear while on the gas. A bad basket will just be in neutral or bang into gear and stall the motor or give you whiplash.

If you need a new basket, always replace the clutch. The old clutch will be rounded like the basket, not square. This will trash your new basket faster. Hope this helps, otherwise post a good picture if you can.

Grande Huevos
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
iv also used a file on mine to try and smooth it out a little. it helps and might give u some more time before spending the $$$ on a new one???

250r__Ice
02-21-2011, 07:15 PM
I would not file it. I did that once trying to save a little and get by, and my basket literally exploded. Ripped all the fingers off the basket. Had to tear it down and split the cases to get all the metal out that when everywhere. Tried to save a little and ended up spending a crap load. I would wait and just get new. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Grande Huevos
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
i dont think that filing it could have made the basket explode because iv seen it done on multiple bikes, sounds like maybe there was another issue w somthing? or mayb it was just worn more then mine? but regardless i would agree if u have the money to replace it then that would obviously b the best rout

ronny
02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot guys, yeah i've read around and it seems there is deffinately two sides to filing and not, but either way im gonna go ahead and buy a new basket. I've been rebuilding this winter so im not in any rush, frames to jb for powdercoat and picked up a set of peps and clutch, and all the other works Going to finally do things the way I want since im finally making enough to spend on the old girl haha
Ronny

As she sat about about a year and half ago can't even remember.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa262/ronnyzuchowski/DSC01114.jpg

skyhighatv
02-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Take a gander @all250r's site,he has a great deal on a new clutch/basket setup..might as well just go new..

86 Quad R
02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
PE Performance Engineering has some great baskets for a good price. i have one in each of my quads, the oldest being 10 years old with no issues to date. :cool: