PDA

View Full Version : newbe clutch question

tmatthews4
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
never been into the clutch on this thing before but after removing the side cover the basket will wobble back and forth a little like it was loose but when i removed the preasure plate,and checked the nut it was tight,the basket is chewed up bad and needs replaced along with plates and springs,inner hub looks ok,is the wobble normal or should everything be tight,any advice on what else to look for while im in here would be helpful,also what would be my best route to take on parts,im on a tight budget right now,the motor has a 310 kit and makes good power,dont know if oem parts will hold up or not,help me out guys im an idiot on the r but love it,thanks

DnB racing
02-20-2011, 06:14 AM
a lot of clutches have that wobble,,

however that doesn't make it right! the stock has pillow bushings that are getting worn, and are non serviceable,

you will get chatter and a rough engagement, change out the basket as well.
no matter what brand you use its not going to be cheap,my advice is to replace with a outer that has serviceable bushings,...more money now but will save in the end!!
as far as plates going oem is fine,but that might not be cheap

tmatthews4
02-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by DnB racing
a lot of clutches have that wobble,,

however that doesn't make it right! the stock has pillow bushings that are getting worn, and are non serviceable,

you will get chatter and a rough engagement, change out the basket as well.
no matter what brand you use its not going to be cheap,my advice is to replace with a outer that has serviceable bushings,...more money now but will save in the end!!
as far as plates going oem is fine,but that might not be cheap good info,thanks,im not sure what you mean by the pillow bushing,is that the collar that the needle bearings ride on or something else?,im looking at the diagram in the manual but im not sure which parts you are refering too,just want to make sure i replace the right parts,thanks for the help

DnB racing
02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
if your talking about it being loose, here it the 7 rubber rivets that hold the gear to the outer basket ...this is from a 450 but they are built the same you can see the place im talking about on the flat back the 7 rubber inserts not the part thats circled...on the stock they cant be replaced but most aftermarkett they can..

more then likely if you can move the gear while holdind the clutch outer, the bushings are worn

tmatthews4
02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
i see what your talking about now,thats not the problem,that area is tight but did have one to fail on our 450,the gear broke off compleatly and ruined the cases and all, anyway the basket on the r is junk for sure so the wobble may be in the area of the needle bearings or the collar that they ride on,i have found a complete clutch kit for an 88,will that work on an 86 though?it will save me a bunch of money for now until i find out if i want to keep this bike or not,thanks again for the help