PDA

View Full Version : SELVYS TRX pipe & silencer / anyone ever seen one?? Take a look!

k10seibel
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
I just purchased this pipe off a kind member who is looking to sell his quad with a stock look. Traded a very nice stock exhaust system/ plus $$. This fully sectional Selvy pipe and matching silencer will go on my future Steve Wright "SELVY" retro racer build. Anyone else ever seen one, or own a copy. Personally have only seen one picture in a magazine pipe test/shootout. Pretty rare, but made it worth his while!
Thanks again BTW!
-Andy

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/SelvyTRXpipe1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/SelvyTRXpipe2.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/SelvyTRXpipe3.jpg

jcs003
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
thats similar to an atc pipe. correct me if im wrong. in appearance of course.

89trx250r
02-19-2011, 02:24 PM
wow nice another rare find maybe one day youll find that mugen rear shock for your atc :)

k10seibel
02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
All taken care of..... Excited to get the Mugen trike going.
Got it a couple weeks ago.
Can you say OUCH!!! (LOL)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140498286378&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

bigE28
02-19-2011, 06:50 PM
OUCH is right! but if t is what you needed and wanted you have to pay for it!!

wild250rman
02-19-2011, 06:59 PM
hand built pipes are always amazing to me. I personally always liked that style of pipe better than the low boy design. bet it sounds good especially with a big bore behind it.

TLR-Online
02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I love it andy!! Have NEVER seen one before

89trx250r
02-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Congrats on the shock haha i thought i remembered seeing one on ebay sometime ago before the post i saw on your atc. You should post that over here sometime for people to check out

dquarton
02-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by k10seibel
All taken care of..... Excited to get the Mugen trike going.
Got it a couple weeks ago.
Can you say OUCH!!! (LOL)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140498286378&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Andy, what did Mugen do to these shocks?? Valving??

machwon
02-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
I love it andy!! Have NEVER seen one before

X2, never seen one or heard of Selvy. The welds and cone sections look great so It looks like a good running pipe for retro. Good Find!

C-LEIGH RACING
02-21-2011, 08:16 AM
When you get ready to do the resto on the pipe, look me up, cause I got a process will make it look like a brand new one off build, like it looked after the last weld was made.
:) Neil

1promodfan
02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Thats a sweet find Andy. You always seem to find these rare parts!!:D

k10seibel
02-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by dquarton
Andy, what did Mugen do to these shocks?? Valving??

Honestly,....... Got me???
I'm sure it must be great, cause me and a bunch of other idiots were willing to sell the farm over it!
Seriously, I'm guessing it's all internals (valving) and a stiffer spring rate. Haven't even put it on yet. Still just sitt'n in the box. Sorry, I really can't say the rear shock is worth it's weight, but it IS painted gold. (LOL)
The front Mugen forks have clickers on the bottom of the fork legs. The stockers aren't adjustable other than shimming the springs for preload. I have installed NASA preload fork caps for easy preload adjustment.

DnB_racing
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
When you get ready to do the resto on the pipe, look me up, cause I got a process will make it look like a brand new one off build, like it looked after the last weld was made.
:) Neil any secrets for this??

k10seibel
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
:) Neil

Thanks Neil!

I've seen another guy clean the pipe with steal wool and WD-40, then trace all the welds with a fine tip torch to bring out the heat patterns. Run it for a while for a nice golden brown patina, then high temp clear coat it......Anything similar? Maybe you don't want to divulge your secrets publicly....If so, I understand. :)

pilotpete
02-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Nice find Andy.... only ever seen one of them TRX exhausts in mags before......
check out this badboy i found on egay.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170604577983&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1182

TLR-Online
02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by pilotpete
Nice find Andy.... only ever seen one of them TRX exhausts in mags before......
check out this badboy i found on egay.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170604577983&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1182

Good Score Pete!

C-LEIGH RACING
02-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
any secrets for this??

No, not a secret.
Theres just something about a fresh new look of a one off pipe.

I did a lot of trying this & that to get the look like its suppose to be.

I wire brush the whole pipe with a bench grinder & brass wire wheel, weld joint & all till its shinnie metal. Then with the propane torch, heat the weld joints paying attention to the amount of heat, just enough to blue the weld joint edge.

Once thats finished & cooled I acetone clean the outsides & then clear coat the pipe & let it dry.
After it has dryed completely I take a hot air gun & heat the weld joints to turn it the lite brown.

The pin torch like K10 talking about, will work so much better because it not as wide a flame when blueing the weld joints.
Neil

k10seibel
02-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys!

Pete, $70.......???
Worth half that in scrap aluminum. (LOL)
Nice buy there, congrats!

pdxbigfoot
02-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I basically did the same thing on my Arlen pipe. Took a bit of good old fashion elbow grease but the end result is stunning.
I LOVE raw pipes!!!

dtowndiesel
02-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
I basically did the same thing on my Arlen pipe. Took a bit of good old fashion elbow grease but the end result is stunning.
I LOVE raw pipes!!!

That is one sexy pipe!

1promodfan
02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
No, not a secret.
Theres just something about a fresh new look of a one off pipe.

I did a lot of trying this & that to get the look like its suppose to be.

I wire brush the whole pipe with a bench grinder & brass wire wheel, weld joint & all till its shinnie metal. Then with the propane torch, heat the weld joints paying attention to the amount of heat, just enough to blue the weld joint edge.

Once thats finished & cooled I acetone clean the outsides & then clear coat the pipe & let it dry.
After it has dryed completely I take a hot air gun & heat the weld joints to turn it the lite brown.

The pin torch like K10 talking about, will work so much better because it not as wide a flame when blueing the weld joints.
Neil

Neil, is there still maintance on the pipe after this is done? My new Shearer is raw, but its hard to keep it clean.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Yes,
The header part, from the cylinder out to the bend of the pipe, will see high heat & not long before it will start to rust again.

Now if there was a type of high temp clear coat, that would be the ticket & the look would probably last longer.
Neil

troybilt
02-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes,
The header part, from the cylinder out to the bend of the pipe, will see high heat & not long before it will start to rust again.

Now if there was a type of high temp clear coat, that would be the ticket & the look would probably last longer.
Neil

You can use high temp clear ceramic coating. That's my plan, I talked to my coater and he said it should work great for that application.

See link:

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/Clear_Ceramic_s/303.htm