PDA

View Full Version : MX vs XC vs Trail vs GNCC, Define the differences for me

tri5ron
02-18-2011, 11:11 PM
over time, I have seen various threads started, that say "Show your MX ready Quad", or "Show your XC ready Quad", or "GNCC ready Quad", or whatever, (you get what I'm saying).

So it caused me to think, and ask myself,...
Just what exactly is it, that defines the differences ?

Can anyone here tell me what they feel the differences in equipment or accessories or modifications, that specifically defines what a particular quad is "set-up for"?

Just what exactly is it,... that makes one quad a "MX", another a "XC", another a "Trail", or another a "GNCC" ?

What does a "XC" have, that a "Trail" dosen't have ?

What does a "GNCC" have, that a "MX" dosen't have ?

What does a "MX" have, that a "XC" dosen't have ?

Can anyone draw up a list,
that gives the definitions and equipment requirements,
to clearly differenciate the various classes or styles ?

Why is a "Trail" not an "XC" ?
Why is a "XC" not a "GNCC" ?
Why is a "GNCC" not a "MX" ?

I'm just interested and curious, as to what people will say to these questions? I think it will be interesting.

I'm NOT asking for pics here, I'm asking for Descriptions and Definitions.
(there's already plenty of threads full of pics requests).

I'm also NOT asking you to define the styles or classes themselfs.

What I'm asking, is for you to define the actual differences in the QUADS THEMSELFS,...
the equipment from one to another that makes it a particular style or class.

So in your opinion,...
list the defining factors, the defining equipment, or mods, that a particular Quad would have,...
That makes it either one class/type, or another.

I think this will get interesting.

finsteratv
02-19-2011, 12:12 AM
all i know is a 400 can do it all :D
arent xc and gncc AND trails pretty much the same thing, with the exception of trails being tighter.
im tuned in to learn from this :cool:

400man
02-19-2011, 12:12 AM
well, XC and GNCC are basically the same. GNCC is just a racing series, its still XC (cross country). MX or motor cross is closed course racing with jumps, just like the motor cross dirt bikes and indoor stadium supercross racing. XC racing is like a long endurance race where MX is more of a short all out sprint race.

I'd say the difference between a "trail" and a "XC or GNCC" bike is the amount of money and aftermarket parts that are put into it. most average joe trail bikes are mostly stock with aftermarket exhausts and tires/wheels, and maybe aftermarket bolt on suspension. your XC or GNCC race bikes have just about everything possible done to them to make them handle better and ride faster in the woods

im sure someone can go into much more detail, this is just a basic idea for ya

UnderFire
02-19-2011, 12:42 AM
I'll try to point out some key features between xc and mx...

An MX bike usually has:

18" Rears, 20" Fronts for hard packed tracks
8" Rear wheels
A wide 50" Stance
Suspension tuned for jumping
Lightweight Tube Style Front Bumper
Lightweight nerfs
Little chassis protection
Cut fenders
No lighting

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Updated-ATV/017.jpg

An XC Bike usually has:
20" Rears, 21-22" Fronts with agressive tread
Larger rear wheels
A narrower 46-48" Stance
Suspension for rough terrain
Heavy bumpers with brush screens etc...
Full Skidplates
Full Fenders
Ligthing

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/gnccracer/400ex.jpg

jesshamner
02-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Underfire pretty much nailed it. A Trail quad can be anything from stock to a full XC racer. On the east cost, we usually don't ride a wide, 48" to 50" wide, quad in the woods because its too hard to fit between the trees. Now that UTVs, or side by sids, are popular, most of the trails have been widened to accomodate so riding a 50" quad through the woods has become easier but still not ideal.

jcs003
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
skill set of the rider defines it.

this is why there are different classes in racing.

suspension set-ups, along with wheel and tire combos are key.

as for engine builds. i think it has more to do with rider preference. i.e. are you someone who rides the torque curve or likes it bumping the rev limiter.

i personally dont know about motoX. but i used to race the C & B class XC and can tell you consistency is why the pros are pros .

tri5ron
02-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by UnderFire
I'll try to point out some key features between xc and mx...

An MX bike usually has:

18" Rears, 20" Fronts for hard packed tracks
8" Rear wheels
A wide 50" Stance
Suspension tuned for jumping
Lightweight Tube Style Front Bumper
Lightweight nerfs
Little chassis protection
Cut fenders
No lighting

An XC Bike usually has:
20" Rears, 21-22" Fronts with agressive tread
Larger rear wheels
A narrower 46-48" Stance
Suspension for rough terrain
Heavy bumpers with brush screens etc...
Full Skidplates
Full Fenders
Ligthing

Underfire,
that's a pretty good observation and answer.
It all makes good sense, relative to the types of terrain one could expect to encounter while riding/racing.

Does anyone else have something to add to what Underfire has described?

Come on now, don't all be like Sheep,...
there's alot of views here, with only a few responces.
Don't be a sissy, use your brains and speak up !
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions.

This is just a thread to see how various people may see things differently, or have their own ideas and opinions.
It dosen't mean that any one person is either right or wrong.
It's simply an exercise, to see how different people, can have differing opinions, on a common subject.

Oh and remember,... NO FLAMING !!!
I respectfully request any mod's watching this thread, to delete ANY post, or portion of a post, that they feel is inflammatory, or undesireable. (That also includes anything I have said.)
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT my intention to start a negative, bashing, thread here.
I also invite any mods to participate, and include their opinions on the subjects.

Now, can someone explain the differences in the suspensions described above?
or more specifically the shocks themselfs ?

What makes a shock set up for Jumping,
different than,
a shock set up for Rough Terrain ?

Don't just say,
"It' the way they are set up"
or,
"It's the compression and rebound settings",

Give specific parameters ,
give examples of what comparative settings might be, from one terrain to another, and supports your opinions.

Or,
How about your positions on the tires and wheels ?
Stance widths ?
Gearing ?
Engine bores and compressions ?
Other engine mods ? (cams, intakes, exhausts, ignition timing changes ?)
Handlebars, Stems, rear links, skids, nerfs, pegs, swingers ?

Remember,...
if you are going to post an opinion,
include the reason WHY you think it applies to a specific style of riding as opposed to another.

Honda.rider5871
02-19-2011, 01:31 PM
A XC and GNCC quad are set up the same as mentioned above, with 20/22" tire combo with agressive tread, 46-48" stance, type of beadlocks usually, a stabilizer, full skids, nerfs or at least oversized pegs, cam wise hot cam stage 1s are most popular for low to mid end power, 416s or stock bore is common, and of course suspension is your main thing in these types of races. Or look at whats done to my XC built 400ex in my sig.

A MX quad has a 50" stance, 18/20" tire combo, smaller wheels, lightwieght nerfs, bumper, and sids(if they have skids). Im more of the XC type guy so i dont really know much about MX quads other than whats posted.

For the average trail rider they usually have stock bikes, with
aftermarket tires/wheels, Aftermarket pipe, and maybe some suspension.

jcs003
02-19-2011, 01:38 PM
this brings to mind. when is long travel needed??? is it overrated...is it a motoX thing...is it a just a desert set-up thats been adapted.

ron you got me in the classroom too.

jesshamner
02-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
this brings to mind. when is long travel needed??? is it overrated...is it a motoX thing...is it a just a desert set-up thats been adapted.

ron you got me in the classroom too.

The answer is stickied in the suspension forum. This thread has a lot of good information in it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

sneaky11
02-19-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm not an expert, but ths is what I think

An MX bike should have a stiffer supension setup for jumping, compensate on hard landing, grip like a go-kart in burns, no needs for a smooth ride cause they just ride short fast heats and then they can rest before next heat...

An XC, GNCC or trail bike (all the same for me) will have a softer supension setting for more absorbing on unequal trail, rocky, wood, etc... that will meen less fatigue for the rider because the races are usally longer in time and didn't have 100ft jumps like MX...

The MX bike will be the lightess possible to keep a better control in the air, more grounded with a 50'' stance, lower center of gravity, rev fast for better impulse before jumping, ...

The XC bike will have an higher ground clearance, skided, tighter stance for sharp tight cornering in the wood, the motor will be builted for torq, low end power for hard accelerations, ...

sorry for my not really good english...

Mike

Scro
02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by sneaky11
I'm not an expert, but ths is what I think

An MX bike should have a stiffer supension setup for jumping, compensate on hard landing, grip like a go-kart in burns, no needs for a smooth ride cause they just ride short fast heats and then they can rest before next heat...

An XC, GNCC or trail bike (all the same for me) will have a softer supension setting for more absorbing on unequal trail, rocky, wood, etc... that will meen less fatigue for the rider because the races are usally longer in time and didn't have 100ft jumps like MX...

The MX bike will be the lightess possible to keep a better control in the air, more grounded with a 50'' stance, lower center of gravity, rev fast for better impulse before jumping, ...

The XC bike will have an higher ground clearance, skided, tighter stance for sharp tight cornering in the wood, the motor will be builted for torq, low end power for hard accelerations, ...

sorry for my not really good english...

Mike

That sums it up pretty well.

tri5ron
02-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Jesshamner,
Thanks for posting that link.
It's been a long time since I have read that thread, and will probably go back and read it in it's entirety once again.

It's a long read,... but a VERY GOOD read. Especially for all of the newbies and youngsters who truely want to learn the intricacies of the physics and geometry involved, when setting up a suspension.

Sneaky11,
Also a very good observation, as well as your explanation is quite clear and concise.
No need for apoligies. Your english is exemplary compared to many we've seen here.

Come on people, cat got your tounge ?
There MUST be some more of you, who have something to contribute,...
or at least some questions you would like to ask ?

I'm in no way or means suggesting that I have all the answers.
That is not the intent of this thread.
(notice that I'm only asking the questions)
It's the other knowledgeable and experienced members, who are giving answers and opinions.

The intent is to make people THINK.
Hopefully it will stir some brain cells, and provoke some thoughts and intelligent questions, which in turn will result in intelligent answers and/or ideas.

Bring on your ideas.
Raise the questions.
Get involved in the game, rather than just sitting on the sidelines.

It dosen't necessarily have to be about suspension.

It can be about ANY component or function, that you want to know more about.

It can be ANYTHING, that will be advantageous to you, and your machine, tailored to your preferred riding style.

I mean God-Forbid ! We ALL might learn something useful !
Imagine that !

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
heres my info on it now that i finally have a bit of time to sit down and type something up.

an mx machine has a 50" setup, stiffer finish rate shocks, 18 and 20" tires on it, full nerfs, and 416 or higher with a 11 or 12:1 compression in it, lower bar setup with a lower CG, no lights most of the time

an xc machine would have a higher cg with higher rise bars, 20 or 22 backs with 21-22 fronts, softer shock setup, hand guards, lights, bigger front bumper, skid plates all around, and a 10-11:1 comp to keep the heat down for longer runs

desert usually has long travel imo with a very soft setup susp, taller bars, dune 20s or 22s back and 22 front, bigger bore motors with higher comp, and an all important FLAG.

other than that i guess i am not real familiar all of the different setups and was curious to find out some more also thanks for asking the question!

steve

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Okay.. well i am an MX guy so i'll sum it all up for MX for you.

MX:

- 50" in wide front and rear usually.

- 20 to 19" in front tires Non- Beadlocks

- 18" rear Bead-locks.

- Usually run 14/39 or 14/38 Sprocets.

- Motors Designed around top-end power. Usually High Compression 426's, stage 2 cams, p&p... etc.

- Usually triple rate zero-preload for standard travel shocks, and quadruple rate long travel shocks.

- normally dual rate zero-preload rear suspension setups.

- a slightly extended swing arm to help with weight balance.

There are tons more things, but i am suffering from a long day of work and stress.

I don't wanna argue with whoever said that we use stiffer shocks, that is mostly true, but our triple rate setups and things that create a very comfy ride until we start hitting our main springs.

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 07:51 PM
BTW Underfire... Why did you choose my atv?? lol I was shocked to see it.

I guess i am one of a dying breed... I am one of less than half a dozen people with EX's geared ENTIRELY toward MX and i am one of the very very few that actually compete on a above c class level.

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
One other thing to add... MX is a high suspension travel and low ride height.

CJM
02-19-2011, 09:21 PM
MX:
Wider stance, like others have side not uncommon to find 50" or more front and rear. Usually + axles and +arms, smaller tires, 20" front and 18" rears, suspension is setup to absorb jumps, hard impact landings, usually has nerfs to protect the rider, no lights or other nonessential extras to keep weight down.

XC:
Most width people will run is +2 and thats stretching it from what I gather and most run +1 or even +.5. Tires and wheels are generally larger 21-22" fronts and 20-22" rears for ground clearance, skids all around to protect the underbelly, Suspension is made to be softer and more forgiving, nerfs usually to protect rider, lights, perhaps a rack of some sort depending on the quad.

I find MX to not be enjoyable. Ive never competed but my idea of fun isnt racing around a track doing jumps, its riding trails, pits, open dunes, etc. Today I went riding and as usual loved flying down the trails-besides the EX's bane of existence horrible rear shock setup that makes the backend buck like a bronco if you go to fast over whoops.

BenHonda400ex
02-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM
MX:
Wider stance, like others have side not uncommon to find 50" or more front and rear. Usually + axles and +arms, smaller tires, 20" front and 18" rears, suspension is setup to absorb jumps, hard impact landings, usually has nerfs to protect the rider, no lights or other nonessential extras to keep weight down.

XC:
Most width people will run is +2 and thats stretching it from what I gather and most run +1 or even +.5. Tires and wheels are generally larger 21-22" fronts and 20-22" rears for ground clearance, skids all around to protect the underbelly, Suspension is made to be softer and more forgiving, nerfs usually to protect rider, lights, perhaps a rack of some sort depending on the quad.

I find MX to not be enjoyable. Ive never competed but my idea of fun isnt racing around a track doing jumps, its riding trails, pits, open dunes, etc. Today I went riding and as usual loved flying down the trails-besides the EX's bane of existence horrible rear shock setup that makes the backend buck like a bronco if you go to fast over whoops. But isn't the bucking fun?:D

CJM
02-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by BenHonda400ex
But isn't the bucking fun?:D

Not when you have to go over a section of whoops for like a mile like I do. Enter the trails where I ride and you have a mile of whoops thanks to the dirtbikers, go over other areas some whoops but not to bad. But man my arse hurts after a long day of riding them things..

BenHonda400ex
02-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Well I'm just going to try to guess on this.. My preference on MX is mostly high end and mid range torque and power, but I mean it could be different for alot of people because it could matter on what kind of track you are racing on? Is it short straight ways and lots of corners? Or is it Long straight ways and barely any corners? Mostly the bores I would thinks is 426 or 440, stage 2 or stage 3 hotcams, geared higher a little bit like a like a extra sprocket tooth on the back sprocket. It also matters on how the track is setup track wise. Is there alot of whoops and barely and whoops? If that would be the case I would probably have a softer suppsion just because I wouldn't want to wear myself out in the first couple of laps. Is there tabletops and 70 foot jumps? Then I would rather have a harder suppsion because it wouldn't feel to good bottomy out :D... XC: Well mostly I would think they would want a power low end and mid range, a Four-Wheeler they can bog down and it won't die as easy, a more mudding/take anything Four-wheeler. Probably stock bore or 416. Stage 1 or stock cam. They would probably want there power band to be in 2nd, 3rd, and a little bit in 4th gear, where as in MX they would probably want it through 4th and 5th if they are jumping and not corning. I ride trails alot and I always want the gear that I can bog and still have acceleration and have some what speed, because I hate trying to shift while going down a bumpy trail. I would say you would want some pretty big tires like Maxxis Rzr 2's, something with a bigger treads, where in MX you would want small tight treads that give you the grip while they still let you fish tale it.. It's like Sand dunes tires, would you rather a V shape or Flat blade like Haulers. V shape is more corning and whiping it around, flat blades are meant for straight driving probably hill climbing if I'm guessing right... XC GNCC and trails are pretty much the same to me, except XC and GNCC you're racing for something :D.. That's what my perception on it is!

BenHonda400ex
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Not when you have to go over a section of whoops for like a mile like I do. Enter the trails where I ride and you have a mile of whoops thanks to the dirtbikers, go over other areas some whoops but not to bad. But man my arse hurts after a long day of riding them things.. Have you ever been to Little Sahara.. There's a camp site that's not on the State park, well I think so.. Well you have this huge road of whoops, and it's just horrible because I'll get in to the whoops but then after a while I feel like a grandpa because my back and legs are killing me, and then some effin Razrs will pass you going about 60 guilding over the whoops? How is that possible?

CJM
02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Have you ever been to Little Sahara.. There's a camp site that's not on the State park, well I think so.. Well you have this huge road of whoops, and it's just horrible because I'll get in to the whoops but then after a while I feel like a grandpa because my back and legs are killing me, and then some effin Razrs will pass you going about 60 guilding over the whoops? How is that possible?

Never been to little sahara but im sure the pits I ride mimic the road of whoops. I get so beat up over them I take it SLOW after awhile and let the machine go and use no throttle alot.

Suspensions different, EX has to short a swinger really. it could benefit from a +1 or +2, but many dont bother due to cost (its rather high). As for the razrs and stuff those things ride like Cadillacs.

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
got any sin waves for that sweet whoop section, ill help you guys out with some dampening. just let me calculate it for you...

lame i know. just bored and learning vibrations this semester. haha

steve

BenHonda400ex
02-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
got any sin waves for that sweet whoop section, ill help you guys out with some dampening. just let me calculate it for you...

lame i know. just bored and learning vibrations this semester. haha

steve Haha. I have no idea what you're talking about? If you're talking about dampening the shock? I kinda like getting wore out because I don't like everything to be perfect on my quad because it wouldn't be as fun riding

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 10:28 PM
not really, just talking a bit of vibes terminology. sin waves are used to mimic whoops and studder bumps. they can be looked at and can be calculated from a sin wave because of this and can show all of the properties of the system that can then be dampened to make the ride smooth for that section.

the common term for shocks is dampening by compression and rebound. there is alot of work that goes into correctly valving a shock. this is some of that work.

steve

BenHonda400ex
02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
not really, just talking a bit of vibes terminology. sin waves are used to mimic whoops and studder bumps. they can be looked at and can be calculated from a sin wave because of this and can show all of the properties of the system that can then be dampened to make the ride smooth for that section.

the common term for shocks is dampening by compression and rebound. there is alot of work that goes into correctly valving a shock. this is some of that work.

steve Ahhh now it make's since because there was a guy on a Yfz and I was moving pretty fast and some how he was aleast hitting 60 and he was sitting down. Maybe he's smart like you, this make's no sence to a 14 year old.. So you could calculate how my shocks should be dampened if I wanted to go like 60 over the whoops?

finsteratv
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by CJM
MX:

XC:

I find MX to not be enjoyable. Ive never competed but my idea of fun isnt racing around a track doing jumps, its riding trails, pits, open dunes, etc. Today I went riding and as usual loved flying down the trails-besides the EX's bane of existence horrible rear shock setup that makes the backend buck like a bronco if you go to fast over whoops.
i know exactly what you mean. after our last sand trip i was ready to go pick up some 450r shocks atleast and play with my rear. getting back we did about 4 miles of whoops in the dark in rain and wind :devil: fun stuff.

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Ahhh now it make's since because there was a guy on a Yfz and I was moving pretty fast and some how he was aleast hitting 60 and he was sitting down. Maybe he's smart like you, this make's no sence to a 14 year old.. So you could calculate how my shocks should be dampened if I wanted to go like 60 over the whoops?

i could... lol steve

tri5ron
02-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Steve,
What are the comparative frequencies or values, for a MX sine wave vs. a XC sine wave ?

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 10:59 PM
you may have to wait for a couple of weeks there ron! Im not that far in the book yet. im glad to see you back my man!

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/jumping0002.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

ROTF,

steve

CJM
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
i know exactly what you mean. after our last sand trip i was ready to go pick up some 450r shocks atleast and play with my rear. getting back we did about 4 miles of whoops in the dark in rain and wind :devil: fun stuff.

I tried 3 different preload settings, near none, 1/4 inch down and 1/3 inch down. So far im liking 1/3 down, it still bucks but its not nearly as bad. If it wasnt such a paint to get the shock off and on I might try setting preload to 1/2 down from the top but I doubt i makes much of a difference. Im gonna do the GT Thunder XC link and revalve sooner or later.

Longdong
02-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I tried 3 different preload settings, near none, 1/4 inch down and 1/3 inch down. So far im liking 1/3 down, it still bucks but its not nearly as bad. If it wasnt such a paint to get the shock off and on I might try setting preload to 1/2 down from the top but I doubt i makes much of a difference. Im gonna do the GT Thunder XC link and revalve sooner or later.

If I understand you right. You don't have to take your rear shock off to adjust the preload. If you use a long punch you can tap the nuts to adjust them. I just bought a gt link and sent my rear shock in to get revavled. It will make a plush ride.

Scro
02-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Longdong
If I understand you right. You don't have to take your rear shock off to adjust the preload. If you use a long punch you can tap the nuts to adjust them. I just bought a gt link and sent my rear shock in to get revavled. It will make a plush ride.

Correct. Just set the quad on a stand so that it takes as much tension off the adjusters as possible.

CJM
02-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Correct. Just set the quad on a stand so that it takes as much tension off the adjusters as possible.

While this does work, I find it much easier to remove the shock as you have alot more room to work.

bullett
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a question sorry if it sounds dumb, but what are the differences between say a shock setup for MX and XC? Like if I came across a shock setup for MX could it just be adjusted to XC for a reasonable price? I've come across a few quads that are setup for MX and are selling their shocks for a reasonable price, but I don't race I ride my quad in the woods. Thanks

trailrider894
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by bullett
I have a question sorry if it sounds dumb, but what are the differences between say a shock setup for MX and XC? Like if I came across a shock setup for MX could it just be adjusted to XC for a reasonable price? I've come across a few quads that are setup for MX and are selling their shocks for a reasonable price, but I don't race I ride my quad in the woods. Thanks

They will have to be revalved and re-sprung... So no, they will not be cheaper.

The XC shock setup:

- Plush ride

- Setup for a higher ride height

- Less Bottoming Resistance

The MX shock setup:

- Harsher Ride

- Setup for low ride height

- increased bottoming resistence

They are two different beasts...

Longdong
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by bullett

Most shocks you can changed over cheap. In most cases a revavle and respring. Revavle is about $18 a shock and springs are about $60 to $90 a shock. If e your weight is close to the setup you might not need to change the spring. To set them up right It will cost about the same whether they are xc or mx. If you buy xc shocks and set them up for your weight for xc they will still need revavled and maybe resprung.

trailrider894
02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Most shocks you can changed over cheap. In most cases a revavle and respring. Revavle is about $18 a shock and springs are about $60 to $90 a shock. If e your weight is close to the setup you might not need to change the spring. To set them up right It will cost about the same whether they are xc or mx. If you buy xc shocks and set them up for your weight for xc they will still need revavled and maybe resprung.

IMO, i've never ever ever ever ever found a place to do quality re-valves for 18$....

400exmxrider15
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 400man
well, XC and GNCC are basically the same. GNCC is just a racing series, its still XC (cross country). MX or motor cross is closed course racing with jumps, just like the motor cross dirt bikes and indoor stadium supercross racing. XC racing is like a long endurance race where MX is more of a short all out sprint race.

I'd say the difference between a "trail" and a "XC or GNCC" bike is the amount of money and aftermarket parts that are put into it. most average joe trail bikes are mostly stock with aftermarket exhausts and tires/wheels, and maybe aftermarket bolt on suspension. your XC or GNCC race bikes have just about everything possible done to them to make them handle better and ride faster in the woods

im sure someone can go into much more detail, this is just a basic idea for ya

Not to bust your balls, but its motocross, not motorcross..They sound just about the same...

Longdong
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
IMO, i've never ever ever ever ever found a place to do quality re-valves for 18$....

Jet. http://www.jet-motorsports.com/www.jet-motorsports.com/id8.html

I couldn't find gt's rates on there site but I know it won't be over $20.

trailrider894
02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Jet. http://www.jet-motorsports.com/www.jet-motorsports.com/id8.html

I couldn't find gt's rates on there site but I know it won't be over $20.

Sorry man... I guess i didn't do enough re-search... :blah:

Longdong
02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Sorry man... I guess i didn't do enough re-search... :blah:

There is nothing to be sorry about. This is a forum for learning.