PDA

View Full Version : Painting frame

eprovenzano
02-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I have the engine out of my son's quad to replace the crank. Since its out, and the quad is 90% dismantled, he suggested we repaint the frame. The frame is factory silver and we run all black plastic with a red seat and hubs. He wants to paint the frame red to match the seat and hubs. I would prefer to keep it silver. I worried the after 1st few scratches the silver and or primer will show through and then it will look terrible.

For those that have painted their frames, when you changed the frame color, what were the results, good / bad. Just an FYI, powder coat is out of the question until next year. If he pushes me on it, I was thinking about trying to find red primer and then the top coat of red. I was also thinking of using engine paint to help hold up to the abuse. Also we will be painting the frame with a rattle can in the garage. Yes, I'm cheap... errr frugal...

Any and all suggestions welcome...

PLF
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
IMO powder coat is the only wayto go..

not as expensive as one could think.

eprovenzano
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Unfortunaly after a complete engine rebuild, crank, big bearning, timing chain, tensioner cylinder rebore, new piston rings, gaskets, swingarm bolt, bearing, drive chain, sprockets... etc... therte is no more cash for power coating. (I'm scraping enough to finish the rebuild)

DragonGunner
02-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Powder coat...but if your going to paint...you HAVE to do sanding, all of it, everywhere, lots of work before painting, if you just try an clean it up an spray it with cans, it will soon start to flake off with riding time, mud an dirt, washing...I've seen guys do this an then it looks sick...no $, I would leave it as is or save up for a powdercoat...

eprovenzano
02-19-2011, 07:41 AM
We've already started the sanding process. Ive also started to clean / degrease the frame Yes every nook and cranny will receive attention. I'm thinking a quality primer followed by a quality paint (silver) is the way to go. I'm still thinking a high temp paint may hold up better than standard paint

It won't be perfect but it's not supposed to be... I'm more about running conditon than looks. I pride myself on bikes that are reliable. She may not be the beat looking bike out there but she will not leave you stranded either.

So I think it going to be lot of sanding, cleaning, mode sanding and cleaning, followed by a good primer and two coats of high temp paint.

AtvKid4Eva
02-19-2011, 07:51 AM
if your going to go the paint route i recommend using a spray gun so you can add a hardner to the paint to make it more durable..but then again by the time you buy all that you at about the cost of getting it powdercoated lol..post pics when its done!