PDA

View Full Version : 04/05 450r starting issue?

dezertboyjd
02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
ive got an 05 450r. went out for a day long ride and about a mile from my truck i stopped for a second, went to take off and the bike died. it would not start, which resulted in a tow back. ive got 2- 04s and an 05.

upon returning home i swapped cdi, regulator, plug, checked all the connections etc. finally swapped the coil and the lights are lighting up now and it acts like it wants to start. spits and sputters. and no improvement with starting fluid. so i pulled the carb off and cleaned it, checked jets, etc (carb looked perfect). havent placed it back on yet, but could it still be the stator or no since it improved with the coil? or could it be valves?

also any advantage or disadvantages with an aftermarket coil vs oem?

05 has hrc cam, filter, full exhaust, hrc lid.

another similar question about my 04. only rode it twice. when i bought it, started 2nd kick. only thing i have done is a full maintence and put the spark arrestor/baffle back in. after a ride it would kick over and run fine. then a few hours later it would not wanna start unless i bump started it. came home, adjusted the valves, put in a new plug and still no improvement. it simply wont kick over now as it did before the valve adjustment. i was thinking it was the same issue as above(stator/coil problem). 04 is bone stock except a filter.

eastside 400
02-17-2011, 09:26 PM
on the first one, the coil has nothing to do with the lights going on, all the coil does is provide power to the spark plug. check the valve clearences, kinda sounds like that might be the problem

Pacheco_450r
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I had the same symptoms a while back, mine had a seized hot start cable. Just an idea.

Ruf Racing
02-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Pacheco_450r
I had the same symptoms a while back, mine had a seized hot start cable. Just an idea.

^^ Good call ^^ I had a stuck hot start plunger, years ago. It acted the same way as poster described. Check it out. :macho

dezertboyjd
02-18-2011, 07:52 AM
i just find it wierd that with the old coil in and i kick it over it dosent even act as if it wants to start and i get no current to the lights, and with the other coil it acts like its going to and powers the lights with each kick. im thinking valves as well

carb looked fine yesterday, hotstart as well

eastside 400
02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
check to make sure you have spark if you havent done that yet