PDA

View Full Version : Pulse Trigger Lead for Killswitch?

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Okay, so I have had a Tusk killswitch sitting around, and its time to install it. The directions say to attach one of the wires to the pulse trigger lead? But you have to take the side cover off to probe for it, and i refuse to do so....... Or is there an alternate method to install the dang thing.... Its getting real aggravating.

Here is what the directions say...

"ATV’S WITH BATTERY IGINITION SYSTEMS
• Connect one of the wires coming from the kill switch to a clean (bare metal) location on the chassis.
This will be the “ground”.
• Connect the other wire from the kill switch to the pulse trigger lead from the stator. To locate the pulse
trigger lead refer to your service manual or do the following:
1. Remove the spark plug from the engine.
2. Using a test light, probe the stator wires while rotating the engine by using the electric start button.
The test light will indicate which wire is sending a pulse signal.
3. Connect the kill switch wire to this lead."

Thanks!!

NacsMXer
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
You want to look for the black wire with the yellow stripe on the wiring harness. It should be coming off of the coil on one end and you can trace it to a good point where you can tap into it. Years ago when I installed my Pro Design kill switch, I tapped into the end that comes out directly behind the CDI box.

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
You want to look for the black wire with the yellow stripe on the wiring harness. It should be coming off of the coil on one end and you can trace it to a good point where you can tap into it. Years ago when I installed my Pro Design kill switch, I tapped into the end that comes out directly behind the CDI box.

But am i just re-routing the black and yellow wire through the killswitch? or am i just making like a three way harness dealio?

Stark
02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
You are just grounding the wire before the juice gets to the coil. Not running the coil wire through the killswitch...

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Stark
You are just grounding the wire before the juice gets to the coil. Not running the coil wire through the killswitch...

So i'll just be running the killswitch into like a three way style hookup?

Stark
02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
So i'll just be running the killswitch into like a three way style hookup?

A quick sketch...

NacsMXer
02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Good post Stark

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Stark
02-17-2011, 05:51 PM
My pleasure fellas!

honda400ex2003
02-17-2011, 06:12 PM
is it the tusk one that looks like the pro design setup or the handlebar one that has a rubber grommet that goes on it?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=411015

that is for the normally open switches like all have been discussing above and like the pro design one and some others.

if it is a normally closed switch then it has to get wired in like with the coil not grounded to the frame.

it all depends on the switch though, i dont recall what the tusk one is but by the directions it sounds like a normally open. the install above does not require any cutting of wires.

that schematic is pretty nice stark! Can i put it in my install procedure?
steve

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't know, but i hooked it up just like you guys said, and it works great. So thanks!

Stark
02-18-2011, 06:58 AM
that schematic is pretty nice stark! Can i put it in my install procedure?
steve

Go for it man!

And trailrider894, glad you got it working!

Stark

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Sounds cool thanks! I will put it in there sometime then.

steve

rinconrider
02-19-2011, 02:21 PM
good info in this post, i forgot about the install thread above. :D thanks!