PDA

View Full Version : stocker exhaust

finsteratv
02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
i was wondering what other kinds of mods you can do to your stock exhaust beside baffle etc. i was thinkig is it possible to possibly weld together your own exhaust tip? maybe not to gain much performance but what about just a deeper better sound. the last thing is if you modify a stock exhaust dont you need a certain amount of backpressure. sorry for the long winded question haha :p

AtvKid4Eva
02-16-2011, 08:08 PM
you can fab up anything you can build..but by the time you buy the steel or aluminum you could buy a decent slip on and get some power gains :D

PLF
02-16-2011, 08:08 PM
I've done what can be done to a stock exhaust;

- Big Tip without spark arestor.

- Drill holes through chamber wall to decrease backpressure.

Stock 400ex Exhuast (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/exh_flow.gif)

VS

Modified 400ex exhaust (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/mod_exh_flow.gif)

I've done all this because around here you can't have a pipe in the trails its very severe.

Is it worth it ? NO

Why ? The sound is horrible and I don't feel like its pulling that much more, It sounds like it is but I think its very very minimal...

Solution ? I put my stock spark arrestor back in yesterday while I find myself a beautifull 06+ 450r muffler :)

finsteratv
02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by PLF
I've done what can be done to a stock exhaust;

- Big Tip without spark arestor.

- Drill holes through chamber wall to decrease backpressure.

Stock 400ex Exhuast (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/exh_flow.gif)

VS

Modified 400ex exhaust (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/mod_exh_flow.gif)

I've done all this because around here you can't have a pipe in the trails its very severe.

Is it worth it ? NO

Why ? The sound is horrible and I don't feel like its pulling that much more, It sounds like it is but I think its very very minimal...

Solution ? I put my stock spark arrestor back in yesterday while I find myself a beautifull 06+ 450r muffler :)
can the 06+ 450r mufflers fit then? whats needed to make them work?

PLF
02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
can the 06+ 450r mufflers fit then? whats needed to make them work?

I have not done it yet but from what I read you need to modify the mouting point on the frame, you make a braket or modify your frame or modify the muffler. And I read a guy saying you need to bend your stock pipe and some said you don't...

finsteratv
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
well if its just a bracket fabbed up that would be awesome. if you end up finding one be sure to post a thread on it! you have me interested :cool: haha

yellow02400ex
02-16-2011, 10:21 PM
the person who owned my 400 before me hollowed out the stock pipe and but a power tip on it sounded like ****

Mr-Sleeper-34
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Are there any goood aftermarket mufflers to buy that sound like stock? I don't really want it to be louder. I just picked up a HOTCAMS stage 2 cam and I read where a stage 1 would have been better since my motor is stock after the fact, but I hope I pick up some HP's after the cam install, but I'm still on the stock muffler.

trxPOWER
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
honestly, i had a stg2 hc on a stock engine and it was a dog, i think its just to much cam for the 9.8 to 1 compression ratio on the stock engines. Now that i got that 440 kit on there it runs great though!

Duf6
05-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I have a stock piston with a stage 2 hot cam and it's faster than an all stock ex,it's does lack a little on bottom but not much. A friend and I ride on the weekends and his ex is all stock and mine's quite a bit faster, but it helped when I lightened my flywheel. It now revs and gets into that cams power range faster. The lightened flywheel was the best thing I've done so far and cheapest.

Mr-Sleeper-34
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Duf6
I have a stock piston with a stage 2 hot cam and it's faster than an all stock ex,it's does lack a little on bottom but not much. A friend and I ride on the weekends and his ex is all stock and mine's quite a bit faster, but it helped when I lightened my flywheel. It now revs and gets into that cams power range faster. The lightened flywheel was the best thing I've done so far and cheapest.

^This is good to hear. Gives me hope the stage 2 cam will pull harder on the stock pistons. How did you go ago getting the flywheeling lightened?

Duf6
05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I took it to a shop that was close by that does atv work and they did it for me, it took 2 days to get back and cost me $50. I took it out my self which was easy. I'll still get a high compression piston when I get the extra money,but the flywheel was a big help.