PDA

View Full Version : hhhheeeellllllllpppppp!!!!!!!

PottersRacing22
02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
i cracked my frame last week . had it fixed and gusset and befor i took it in i took off the cdi . got it done now no spark. i switched out the stator changed wire harrness,spark plug wire and the ground for it. changed the cdi to another . i dont kbow what it could be im lost.....

DnB_racing
02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
are you saying that you did or didnt remove the cdi before welding??

your motor mounts might have to much paint on them to complete the ground... make sure that wherever your grounds go to the frame its down to bare frame and if necessary just to make sure run a temporary ground from block to the coil ground

Balaz_73*00
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
DnB- what exactly do you mean by the motor mounts having to much paint to ground? i have a race cut harness and I have it grounded in 2 spots and the coil grounded. Should i still have to worry about the motor mounts being scrubbed to bare frame.

DnB_racing
02-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
DnB- what exactly do you mean by the motor mounts having to much paint to ground? i have a race cut harness and I have it grounded in 2 spots and the coil grounded. Should i still have to worry about the motor mounts being scrubbed to bare frame. yes!! the block needs a good ground to frame, the coil is grounded to the frame, p/c ed frames or newly painted frames and mounts need a good ground

if you dont have good continuity to ground the motor spark will go to ground through the pivot, which a pivot isn't a good connection and when this happens you end up not getting a good hot spark and it will oxidize your pivot bolt and cause your pivot to seize,

grounding is very important!!!

or run a jump wire from block to a clean bare frame,,
and if your race cut harness has had some of the greens removed to save weight the you should definitely run the jumper

the original harness has several grounds to handle the impedance to ground, if they have been removed then your system could turn your pivot bolt into a cathode

one of the best things to do is on the pivot use a non conductive grease(dielectric) to remove it from the ground circuit

and on your ground points use a conductive lube(NO-OX) in between the frame and the ground connector to keep out oxidation and allow good continuity

the ground system is all figured out by the engineers at the factory and the bolts are all treated with the proper treatments, the problem comes in when we start modifying our toys

PottersRacing22
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
i removed it and i got the paint off . still nothing

DnB racing
02-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by PottersRacing22
i removed it and i got the paint off . still nothing take a multi meter with every thing in the run position, at any connector that has the black wire and see if you have continuity to ground,
and also check the black with white stripe wire and do the same,, if you DO have continuity to ground with everything in the run position then you have something shorted to ground.... the only time these wires will have continuity to ground is when its in the off position

eastside 400
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
if you have a teather, disconnect however you have it ran to your harness since its a normal open switch. check power to the coil also, you might have a bad coil

DnB racing
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
if you have a teather, disconnect however you have it ran to your harness since its a normal open switch. check power to the coil also, you might have a bad coil the Honda uses a normally closed kill switch when in the off position,. meaning making contact to ground when off..

the only time you would use a normally open is in place of the key switch using the teather between the red and black ...

other then that its best to use the normally closed type between the black with whit stripe and green, from the handlebar on off switch

eastside 400
02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
that would actually be a normal open switch, if closes when shut off, which is how the teathers work, the switch is open until the teather is pulled, then it closes the contacts completing ground. unless im switching up the meaning of normally open? still works the same though

eastside 400
02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
haha kinda thought that after i started thinking of it, but it will still work with what i said about disconnecting it from where you have it into the harness, just wrong wording on the name of the switch