PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking with nicotine-patches

rbgnwa45
02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
I just want to let ya'll know that you don't have to smoke anymore! It's not hard to do with nicotine patches. I'll suggest keeping smokes around, just in case you want to have a guilt-puff as I do every 6 hours.

I'm 23 and I've been smoking about a pack a day for 4-5 years. The longest I've gone without a smoke is when I sleep, which is maybe 8 hours. I'd light up about every 20 minutes.

I tried champix pills. They made my brain feel weird, I thought differently, perception was different, and they gave me the worst nightmares I've ever had, but I couldn't wake up from them. It was senseless torture. I stopped after less than a week. My mom said she liked the dreams it was giving her, but I don't think she experienced being held captive by Jack Nickolson & Anthony Hopkins, while they go into the next room to cut your sisters' legs off. The screaming was the worst. You can see why I stopped taking the pills.

This is my third day on 21mg patches. They help a lot, you don't have cravings for more than 3 minutes (instead your body reacts with a nice cold sweat - this is when your brain is freaking out), no headaches or shakes. You quickly realise that you're also addicted to the physicality of smoking. I feel at ease when I've got an un-lit smoke in my mouth. If you try smoking on the patch than you'll feel as if you've had ten smokes at once. You can make 1 smoke last for 8 hours. I've cut down from 25 to 1-3 a day, taking one puff at a time and putting it out. If I wasn't using the patch, I wouldn't have been able to cut down to three maximum. I've been eating more, and drinking like ten times the amount of liquids (you really do have to, think about it :ermm: ). The best thing is that last night I had the craziest dream, which was totally nicotine-patch induced. It wasn't scary or horrible like when I took champix, but it was on another level of consciousness that I've never experienced. It was wild, and I hope it happends again, and again.

Copied from my facebook:

"Day 3 on the nicotine patch. My dreams last night were the most vivid, longest, and unusual that I've ever had. UFOs, people hit by lightning, tornados, Nicholas Cage died of leg trauma (I tried to help him - we ended up euthanising him - I'm a Dr.), I could put a glass of water upside down and it wouldn't come out unless I wanted it to, I could also make white light shoot out of the water when gravity was opposite (and I was running around my house telling my family to pay attention to it), telepathy. In a room full of people dining, I asked for my angel. I looked around at random people wondering if they were it. From my left, with big, warm, and larger-than human somniferous eyes, she appeared before me, wingless, and in a dress. We walked around a little, in this large, advanced-architectural building, with flowers and nice plants everywhere (it was like a really nice mall). We stopped on a flight of stairs, alone, and I held her face in my hand while brushing my thumb across it, and I told her that everything was so clear as if I was dreaming, and she looked at me as one would if they knew you were dreaming but you didn't - humoring me with her slight smirk, in a loving way. She pulled her face towards my hand, and I knew I would miss her. I had the feeling that she was one of my favourite entities. She was like a beautiful sagittarian alien. I could fly, and I pushed someone off of a building as a joke (I knew he could fly too - I saw him land safely lol). I had a cell phone, and used it a bit, calling people, and people called me (someone named "R"). I got lost in a city after I bought a house so I called my parents, and I knew I was lost and began to wake up (into another dream!). I once (actually) woke up on command by rushing out of doors full of light. Light sabers, siths, evil feelings, great feelings, isolation and too many people. Realistic guns & knife fights in highly technologically advanced rooms with such detail (I rule lol). Tits, schools, and this TV screen that you could telepathically send images to so that everyone around would know what you're thinking about. I ended up thinking "123 mountain street", a place in Hamilton. I dunno if it's a real place. I fell asleep on that spot, and then a new dream started as if I was double-dreaming in two locations, unaware that I'm *actually* dreaming. People were telling me that I was talking in my sleep, and told me things that I was saying, which made me paranoid. That's less than half of the events. As I was dreaming, I kept telling myself that everything was so clear as if I was dreaming - and when I woke up every few hours I felt as if I was living a double life, and was more or less surprized to wake up to this life, and happy that the madness was over. The clarity I tells you... it was like being fully conscious. Honest to god, it was like being in the movie Inception. What are the next 2 months going to be like?!"

redrocker
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Man up and quit cold turkey
it's the only way

CJM
02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
My mom used the chantix pills, she said they were fine for her but made her constipated. Cousin of mine took them and got the dreams, he thought he won the lotto the dreams were so vivid he said.

My brother just quit, he used those e-cig things that deliver nothing but nicotine and you can buy smaller shots of it or something.

More power to you if you can quit, I never smoked so I have no idea how bad the withdrawls are tho (whats its really like btw?) You save a ton of cash if you dont smoke. Only issue is everyone I know that smoked and quite finds they dont know wtf to do with themselves now cause smoking took up time and they have all this extra time now.

rbgnwa45
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
When you come to the conclusion that you can't ever smoke again, your body instantly starts to sweat from every orifice, as if you had ran for 30 minutes flat-out. I can feel sweat coming out of the top of my head and my feet, it's that bad. It's cold or hot, and you can literally feel your thoughts shifting from accepting not smoking to physically wanting to break everything in sight, as if you're a crackhead and there was crack in the walls and you need to smoke it, and you're willing to bust up every wall in your house to find where it actually is. It's like turning into the hulk for 5 minutes. I change my patch at 3pm, and right around 3pm I started getting headaches that feel like nails were driven into my head. Sharp and dull at the same time. I already know that I'm going to take $5 from my mom whenever I can to go and buy a pack (she refuses to buy them now), but this time I'll make it last either a week or a month, not 16 hours. I can't for the life of me quit out-right, I will bust you in the mouth if you stand between me and my addiction. This is with help so imagine cold turkey. My dad is "quitting" cold turkey (LIES, ****'IN LIES! - PISSES ME RIGHT OFF!). I gave my mom my last pack of smokes, and she gave them to my dad, and when I ask my dad if he has a smoke he tells me that he doesn't have any, even though every hour he goes outside for one, like does he think I'm a F-ing idiot? For 3 days he's said that he doesn't have any, yet he's smoking mine. So from now on I'm going to be plotting against him in anyway that I can. I'll start with blocking his favourite website: pokerstars.net, that'll F with his head.

:huh This isn't the real me. It's just my addiction. In short... don't F with a man and his nicotine. I'm *almost* willing to break the law for it. It's giving me violent thoughts, and I can't take it anymore.

Lasher
02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I will chime in here, since I am a smoker, never been more than a pack a day (except for special occasions).

Many years ago I tried the patch. I was working as a mechanic on a stock car and race day was one of those "special occasions" where you had to have at least 2 pack for the races. When I tried the patch, I physically did not want a smoke, but my brain was telling me that I should.

After the races, at the bar across the street, I would hold a smoke in my hand, but if I took a drag, as rbgnwa45 said, it was like smoking a pack at once. Stomach got sick, felt like crap generally. So I would just hold the smoke for the mental part of the addiction.

Then an EMT walked over and asked me if I was on the patch. Told her I was and she commented about the number of people that she had to attend to due to nicotine overdose. Cardiac arrest and what not. I guess the patch supplies a constant level of nicotine to your body and when you have a smoke, that extra boost is what cause the nicotine overdose (ie...crappy feeling).

I pulled the patch off right there and never went back on it.

You know that your body is only addicted physically to the nicotine for a little over 48 hours. After that it is all mental, which is the hardest part of quitting. I can beat the 2 day addicition...but not the mental yet.

That is why people (like my wife) that quit cold turkey usually have the best success. Because the brain is ready to quit and beats the addicition for those two days and it is smooth sailing after that.

rbgnwa45
02-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I didn't do anything, I went to sleep after drinking a liter of water, I was more or less venting and letting you know what your thoughts can become, nicotine can change you into someone who isn't yourself and it can take a lot to stop yourself from buying smokes again. Some of the withdrawal I actually enjoy because it can tire you out and make you want to sleep it off. I caved though, I bought rolling tobacco. I had one (.1 gram) pinch in a pipe about 1.5 hours ago and I feel like I'm good for the next 6 hours - it's better than buying a pack to join the circus all over again. It's all mental, and you notice that after or while you do certain things like take a crap, eat, and get frustrated because that's when you smoked. I find myself wanting to smoke when I do these things, it all comes to light and has your thoughts all tangled. I've tried holding an un-lit smoke but I know I'll eventually want to smoke it so I'm not buying them. The worse I make it sound, the more good I will have done LOL.

I learned the hard way. On the first day, I decided to do something active as everything suggests, so after playing my drums I cleaned my room. I found a bit of weed (like .1 of a gram - I quit weed about a month ago, and with zero withdrawal, personal choice) and 1 cigg. I smoked the weed and the cigg and I felt so dizzy that I had to lay down. I felt sick enough to ponder just how addicted and in what ways I was, and I've never really cared until then because I never noticed. Nicotine keeps you on the down-low. Now that I went from 25 grams a day to about .5, I'm starting to cough up more tar. I actually feel a little stoned because I've been drowsy all day, and that helps a lot. I've been eating all day, and I do feel like I'm replacing putting ciggs to my mouth. It's weird how the brain looks for similiar avenues like that.

The mental addiction is like one of those pictures that tricks your brian when looking at it a certain way, you know what's going on but you can't help but be tricked and you're like aw damnit :scary:.

I'm not even ready to quit, I'm 23 and I enjoy it. I'm doing it because my parents are.

"If you say you can't do it than you can't. If you say you don't than you don't" - I heard that on Oprah today and as much as I'd rather have not started smoking, I can't help but agree with this wisdom even though I'm sitting here telling myself that I can't quit. I have the choice to do it, and I'm going to have to re-wire my wants in order to get through this. Goals don't really help, they're just goals. You need to absolutely want to quit, and know when you're ready. I feel like I'm throwing myself into this, but that's fine because I do that with everything :ermm:.

Maybe I'm smoking a bit in a pipe because I was smoking un-regulated native cigarettes for a long time, and maybe they have way more nicotine in a pack than regulated ones. They ought to make a beefed up version of the patch for people like me, the Bill Hicks special edition. My last name is Hicks :chinese:.

Don't learn the hard way! I started because I was curious, and because my addicted friends weren't smart enough to say DON'T DO IT!!!! After I felt the warm feeling all over my legs it was all over. I suppose that's what heroin feels like.

arsenal35
02-16-2011, 05:35 PM
go get some st johns wart that helps with the cravings and irritability it takes 72 hours for the nicotine to get out of your system. do it cold turkey its the best way trust me have done it twice

buck440
02-16-2011, 08:01 PM
try being a drunk an going more than a day without alcohol lol:ermm:

Brauap
02-16-2011, 08:10 PM
123 Mountain St
Philadelphia, PA 19148

It's a place. :huh

suck my pipe
02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Cold Turkey! Worked for me, it is very hard but you just have to say i'm done and then be a man and not break.