PDA

View Full Version : frame color

vinnytobasco
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, I have a 2002 400ex with the silver frame, I was wondering where i can get matching tuch up paint? I have googled it and read posts about it but none of the links end up haveing silver ? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Stark
02-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Don't know if you can read it, but on the exhaust side of my frame, there is a paint code tag. I have the silver frame as well. If you can read the tag, I'd take the code to a paint shop (CarQuest does me good) and see if they can match it up.

Hope this helps!

Stark

CJM
02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I bought smoke gray and used it to spray everything up. Its not an exact match, but once I sprayed enough you couldnt tell.

I did very light coats all over the bike and used a pc of cardboard to make sure I didnt hit the engine or whatever it was I was trying to avoid getting the paint on.

wnyoarider_724
02-17-2011, 07:56 AM
i would do red frame with metal flake ...i have an 01 400ex with that and yellow plastic ...it looks real sharp!

vinnytobasco
02-17-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm not looking to repaint my whole frame, just tuch up the areas where paint is rubbed off or is starting to chip.If I can find the paint code i will probally just take it to my dads body shop and i'l mix the colors.How would you guys go about tuching up the little spots without haveing to take the quad completly apart.I was thinking painting it on with a fine paint brush, then wet sanding away the marks from the brush , then clear coat over it.

Stark
02-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Since your pops has an auto body shop, you'll probably have access to the tools you need for touching up paint. But, if you don't, here's what I've done on my trucks:

1. Prep - Clean the area with alcohol until extremely clean.

2. Repair - Nicks and Scratches -
These are fairly easy to repair. If you are down to bare metal, use some sort primer to keep the metal from rusting. I like to use Rustoleum Primer in a spray can. Just spray a little in a plastic cup, and using a small paintbrush, just dab a little primer on the bare metal. After the primer has dried. clean the area with alcohol.

3. Paint -
Using the same style of small paintbrush as you used for the primer, dip the tip into your repair paint and dab a little paint on the repaired area. You will want the new paint to be slightly thicker than the original in order to get a good coat on . After paint has dried, clean the area with alcohol

4. Finish -
Using the finest grit sandpaper available, lightly wet sand the repaired area until it is flush with the original area. Clean with alcohol.

As for the clearcoating... dab some clearcoat on the repaired area after you get done sanding and cleaning the repaired and original area. If you lay it on a little thick, don't worry, just wet sand it till you are pleased with the results. Remember, the finest grit paper is the best.

Finally, get a good wax and wax the hell out of the repaired area and surrounding areas.

It sounds like a bunch of work, but this has worked for me for many years and many rock chips. I've seen guys just dab some paint on it and roll, but it sounds like you're like me and like stuff to be done correctly.

Hope this helps!

Stark

BlasterEaten250
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
For some reason I remember somebody using a paint from the website xrsonly or something like that.

vinnytobasco
02-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks stark that was exactly the answere i was looking for.

Stark
02-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by vinnytobasco
Thanks stark that was exactly the answere i was looking for.

Glad to be of some help!

Stark