PDA

View Full Version : Any RC guys in here?

Dan_Guetter
02-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Just started working at HPI Racing as an graphic designer, just wondering who all out there has trucks/cars?

Pretty stoked I can get my hands on this - /http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/105231/

hontrx265r
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
That should be a sweet deal..What exactly does an art director do? I rc a good amount. I run an rc8be, on its way to tekno v4 land.. 1550 tekin on 5 and 6s.

CJM
02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Very cool! I used to have some of them cars, only issue I found was not to many places to play with them-so I got bored and sold them.

dan harris
02-16-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm looking to put a short course R/C track in at the Proving Grounds. I haven't had an r/c in a long long time, looking for a good durable racer. The HPI looks pretty cool ! anyone have ideas of pricing? I liked the idea that it ran on pump gas and will be easily available. We don't have a hobby shop anywhere around here in Breezewood !

chucked
02-16-2011, 05:28 AM
That kit is probably about $1200. Ive had a few 1/5 scales but no one lets you run them anywhere so I got rid of them. I have all sorts of rc's

dan harris
02-16-2011, 07:05 AM
chuck what would you recommend as a good durable runner??

sly400ex
02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Thats funny, I just ran across that HPI model on youtube this past weekend, fell in love with it! My bro and I are thinking about each getting one.

01 400EXer
02-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I have always admired the trophy trucks. I currently have 2 Traxxas EMaxx bashers. One is mine and the others is my sons. I thought I dumped a lot of money into quads but the same can happen with these things and it is very addicting.

RATPACK Z400
02-16-2011, 08:41 AM
I have a MT2 thats four wheel drive only problem is I need differental hubs that aren,t plastic(break all the time in crash) but it runs 45-50mph but the best Ive seen is the new JATO that things the best R/C Ive ever seen my cousins does 60+mph check it out on youtube vids they are awesome R/C,s to have ! If Iwere to buy a R/C it would be the JATO 3.3 !

chucked
02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by dan harris
chuck what would you recommend as a good durable runner??

The slash 4x4. I have one that I race, there are better set ups but it is bullet proof, plus parts are cheap and they are easy to work on. Theyre about $400, you can get the fully upgraded one for $500

chucked
02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Btw, it is electric

witech
02-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Working fot HPI eh? See if you can find me some chassis for the rs4mt electric laying around in the back room. Ive got a whole fleet of those babies.

wilkin250r
02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
1/5 scale is big stuff, I never got that far into it. I've got a 1/10 scale Traxxas Nitro Stampede that I scream around the yard every so often, but it's nothing fancy like what you guys are talking about.

flyboy1294
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
When I was younger (early teens) I had a few nitro gas vehicles.

Started off with an old Pro. 15 T-Maxx, then built my own big block Revo and raced it. Had a Mach 427 from an Losi Lst2 in it. Like I said, it was build from the ground up, I never saw another 1/10th nitro truck even close to the same level on the track.

I really had a knack for those things, I miss it even today. Maybe more so than quads. :eek:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Rc/P10105013.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Rc/P10105001.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Rc/P10105002.jpg

Dan,

It's been 3-4 years since I've really been into the whole RC scene, but it doesn't seem to have changed much.

First off, buggies are the die-hard racers of the RC scene. But imo they aren't as fun, and you often times have to build them from the ground up. I was into monster trucks, so I will give recommendations about them mostly.

You can't really, imo, get a competitive racer right out of the box. You can get a decently solid truck/car/buggy, but it is difficult to win races with a stock machine.

Traxxas is a a decent brand, but I would stay away from they're electric RC's for a few more years. The brushless motors aren't really up to par with nitro yet. (There are after market brushless motors that can actually out perform nitro, but they are pricey and it gets complex fast.)

Also stay away from they're T-maxx series - the entire chassis design is outdated.

Revo is a great starting platform, and should do decently on a track.

Also, Team Losi makes great racing trucks, but many have been discontinued. Look for the Lst2, and Muggy on eBay, you can find them used for great prices. The engines, suspension, radios, and over-all quality is next to none. You just have to pay.

___

So in a nutshell, I say

Traxxas Revo

Team Losi Lst2

Team Losi Muggy.

If you want anymore of my useless knowledge, let me know. It's not much good for anything than helping others. :chinese:

Burns310r
02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I run a Team Associated MGT that i converted to BL.

Running Proline Powerstrokes, TEKIN RX8, 4s 5000mah lipo.

The thing is insane...even when i hit second gear it will still wheelie at any speed.

chucked
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294

Traxxas is a a decent brand, but I would stay away from they're electric RC's for a few more years. The brushless motors aren't really up to par with nitro yet. (There are after market brushless motors that can actually out perform nitro, but they are pricey and it gets complex fast.)

What makes you say that? I bet I could whoop any of your nitros with my slash with the stock motor on it.

flyboy1294
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
What makes you say that? I bet I could whoop any of your nitros with my slash with the stock motor on it.

The Slash isn't even really on the same scale as a nitro or even brushless truggy, buggy or MT setup for racing.

- Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing it or anything. It's simply a 2WD RC - that alone gives you less control in a racing scenario. Also it's just got a 550 12 turn motor in it, that's a few steps behind the performance level of a Revo 3.3 or Lst2. Even if the drivetrain were identical, you also have to look at the suspension systems. The Slash does the job just fine, but you're not going to the the adjust-ability or travel you can get with the more expensive suspension designs that other models offer.

Again, I'm not dissing it. I've driven a Slash at my LHS parking lot before and I thought it was pretty fun. It's just a $200 RC being compared to a $500-600 one. Different leagues entirely.

BlaineKaiser450
02-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm saving up to buy an all aluminum t maxx from one of my friends to mess around with in the yard. They look super fun

chucked
02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Fly boy its 4wd. Hence "slash 4x4".

rollie
02-17-2011, 09:08 AM
i've been looking into getting an HPI crawler king:cool:

i had a t-maxx and just sold my slash 4x4 a couple months ago because i was always fixing them haha

hopefully with a crawler ill drive less like an idiot and not just hit the biggest jumps i can find haha

RATPACK Z400
02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
That Revo 3.3 looks like my cousins Jato 3.3 but yours has four wheel drive his has 2wd . how fast is the Revo 3.3 out the box? the Jato say 60+ mph im guessing the Revo does 50+mph ?

chucked
02-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Comparing the jato to the revo is like comparing a mustang to a jeep. The jato is designed to go fast on pavement. The revo is designed to go off road and jump. I think they advertise 50 mph for the revo. Ive more or less worked at the local hobby shop for 4 years or so.

flyboy1294
02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Fly boy its 4wd. Hence "slash 4x4".

My bad, I was thinking of the original Slash that Traxxas released awhile back.

UnderFire
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I've got a bunch of that crap, most of the cars I got were in pieces, and the ones that are together dont run.

I've got

2 Tmaxx 2.5's
1 Upgraded Duratrax WarHead
1 Losi XXX-S
1 Duratrax Evader EXT Nitro
1 AXE Ez Helo
and a lot of XMOD cars

The one RC i have that runs and I like is my Losi Micro Desert Truck, otherwise, I just dont like it, and wish I could sell it.

honda400ex2003
02-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I run a t-maxx with some stuff done to it. they are def fun toys, i used to have an rc-10 gt also that i gave to my buddy to play with.

my maxx has big joe tires, spiked ones, and stock ones. (big joes stay on it usually)

factory traxxas tuned pipe

different oil in all 8 shocks

different bodies

metal drive shafts all around

different bumpers

I used to race it every weekend so i have it set up for a short track mx style jumping with tight turns and quick jumps after.

def alot of money invested in that thing! I cant imagine how many thousands i have in it.

steve

RATPACK Z400
02-18-2011, 10:10 AM
You gonna tell me this isn,t off road its the same thing as the Revo BUT this has 2wd same chasie design/suspention/motor can go on road and off and will out accelerate most R/Cs! look at the specs on this ! and the reviews.it may not be as good track racing but still rides tracks pretty good .if you dont race tracks this IS the R/C to get ! 65+ mph with gearing changes and you can put the same off road tires on.

JForestZ34
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
You gonna tell me this isn,t off road its the same thing as the Revo BUT this has 2wd same chasie design/suspention/motor can go on road and off and will out accelerate most R/Cs! look at the specs on this ! and the reviews.it may not be as good track racing but still rides tracks pretty good .if you dont race tracks this IS the R/C to get ! 65+ mph with gearing changes and you can put the same off road tires on.

A jato is more for on-road racing.. The revo is for off-road/on-road.. Change the tires and set the suspension a little and you'd be good to go.. A 4x4 buggy is the way to go if your going to run races or want to have any kind of competative edge.. 2wd is fun but on a dirt track you will have a hard time controlling it if it has some power...
It will tend to want to spin out a lot...

I've been into RC for 20 years and I still have a hard time with a 2wd car on dirt... Maybe I just suck.. LOL

James

Dan_Guetter
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuRKQQljgwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuRKQQljgw

This will be the weapon of choice personally working at HPI. 1/5 scale Baja 5SC. Already have my graphics mapped out.

Super pumped. This thing is so big and badarse!

JForestZ34
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Dan_Guetter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuRKQQljgwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuRKQQljgw

This will be the weapon of choice personally working at HPI. 1/5 scale Baja 5SC. Already have my graphics mapped out.

Super pumped. This thing is so big and badarse!

THe HPI 5SC is an updated version of the BAJA 5T.. I have a 5T and you will love the 5SC.. It is huge and wait till you get it out of the box..:D

James

Dan_Guetter
02-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I know its huge, we got a ton at work. I was blown away with the size. I would prob drive myself on this thing. Hahaha

JForestZ34
02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I know its huge, we got a ton at work. I was blown away with the size. I would prob drive myself on this thing. Hahaha

DAMN I envy you SOOOOOOOOOO much...

James

Dan_Guetter
02-18-2011, 08:33 PM
:D

chucked
02-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400

Its NOT the same chassis as the revo. it is WAAAY different!!!! For christs sake the shocks on the revo are horizontal!! They are 2 different machines!!! Aside from a few screws NO PARTS INTERCHANGE ON THEM!!!

BTW: I've had a Jato, and 4 revos, one small block, 2 big blocks, and one converted to brushless. I've also had a slayer I converted to a big block that I drag raced.

witech
02-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Good lord those are huge . If I had to go to a track that size to race RC it would be sitting in the truck and Id be riding the wheeler on that track.
Hey there you go . Radio control a full size quad and strap volunteers on to ride them. It could be a new sport. You heard it hear first .

JForestZ34
02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
I was surprised at how big these were.. I was used to seeing 1/10th and 1/8th scale trucks and buggies, and I thought those were BIG...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/JForestZ34/IMG_0038-3.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/JForestZ34/IMG_0035.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/JForestZ34/IMG_0019-2.jpg

I took a picture of mine with a beer bottle to show some of my friends the scale of this thing..

When the Fedex guy came he said he couldn't find the box.. The box was almost as tall as him.. HOw could he not find it.. I ordered some upgrade parts from davesmotors.com They have everything for these trucks.. If you want to upgrade your truck def check them out.. Good prices too..

James

flyboy1294
02-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Its NOT the same chassis as the revo. it is WAAAY different!!!! For christs sake the shocks on the revo are horizontal!! They are 2 different machines!!! Aside from a few screws NO PARTS INTERCHANGE ON THEM!!!

BTW: I've had a Jato, and 4 revos, one small block, 2 big blocks, and one converted to brushless. I've also had a slayer I converted to a big block that I drag raced.

+1

I have no idea how he thinks they're built on the same platform. TOTALLY different MT :eek2:

Dan_Guetter
02-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
I was surprised at how big these were.. I was used to seeing 1/10th and 1/8th scale trucks and buggies, and I thought those were BIG...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/JForestZ34/IMG_0038-3.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/JForestZ34/IMG_0035.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/JForestZ34/IMG_0019-2.jpg

I took a picture of mine with a beer bottle to show some of my friends the scale of this thing..

When the Fedex guy came he said he couldn't find the box.. The box was almost as tall as him.. HOw could he not find it.. I ordered some upgrade parts from davesmotors.com They have everything for these trucks.. If you want to upgrade your truck def check them out.. Good prices too..

James

Awesome!

Dan_Guetter
02-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Quick design for my future 5SC