PDA

View Full Version : differences in silencers???

Grande Huevos
02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
i was just curious what if any the differance in silencers??? is it correct that they have nothing to do w power they just create differant tones????? so one silncer next to the other when used on the same motor and pipe selection will not change anything other then sound???? i kno its prob a dumb question but i have never really checked it out

Pumashine
02-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Some silencer's are about looks and performance so they are on the loud side. All silencers use a screen with some sort of packing material around it. The screens are different and the packing materials are different. Then different companies set them up with different characteristics.

The FMF "turbine core" uses a turbine shaped piece of metal to diffuse the sound inside. The FMF "quiet series" uses a china hat along with the turbine to force the exhaust into the packing material. This reduces power output by restricting the flow.

There are spark arrester silencers. Some have a fine wire mesh to keep burning material from exiting. These too can cause interference in the exhaust flow reducing power output.

The FMF "power core" is a straight through design which does not reduce power output but does not reduce the sound as much either.

I am all about power and quiet so I use a larger stinger diameter and have no restrictions through the silencer. The silencer itself is a bigger size 4" compared to most that are around 3" diameter. The size and number of the holes in the perforated material allows more or less sound into the packing. I make my own perforated tubes which are packed full of 3/16" holes at odd relationship to each other. Meaning they are not in straight rows.

Rich250RRacer
02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Pumashine
Some silencer's are about looks and performance so they are on the loud side. All silencers use a screen with some sort of packing material around it. The screens are different and the packing materials are different. Then different companies set them up with different characteristics.

The FMF "turbine core" uses a turbine shaped piece of metal to diffuse the sound inside. The FMF "quiet series" uses a china hat along with the turbine to force the exhaust into the packing material. This reduces power output by restricting the flow.

There are spark arrester silencers. Some have a fine wire mesh to keep burning material from exiting. These too can cause interference in the exhaust flow reducing power output.

The FMF "power core" is a straight through design which does not reduce power output but does not reduce the sound as much either.

I am all about power and quiet so I use a larger stinger diameter and have no restrictions through the silencer. The silencer itself is a bigger size 4" compared to most that are around 3" diameter. The size and number of the holes in the perforated material allows more or less sound into the packing. I make my own perforated tubes which are packed full of 3/16" holes at odd relationship to each other. Meaning they are not in straight rows.

All Turbine cores are spark arrestor silencers, I believe.

2-330s
02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
i thought the length of the silencer played into the tuning? shorty more mid range,longer more top end? not sure if this is correct or not but something i was told.

leager-n-ky
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 2-330s
i thought the length of the silencer played into the tuning? shorty more mid range,longer more top end? not sure if this is correct or not but something i was told.

X2

wilkin250r
02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't believe the length of the silencer plays a significant role in the power output, especially when pipes of the same length still have different flow characteristics due to their internal structure and particular method of sound damping.

Stinger length can indeed have an effect on your power characteristics, and I guess the muffler is just an extension of the stinger, but I was always under the assumption that stinger diameter and length just combined to create a certain backpressure for the expansion chamber. I would assume a shorty would be more top-end, and a full-length would be more mid-range.

I know pipe theory, but never got into the fine details.