PDA

View Full Version : Over range spring question ?

JIM GRACE
02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I have talked to alot people about spring selection when running the mallossi over range kit.

From a Red mallossi spring that you have to change every moto.

A koso 1500 spring that lasts 3 races or so.

And a very fast 90 quad we know runs a
2200 spring

Any input would help, but leaning toward koso 1500

jplltz50
02-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Pmed you Jim

EthansDad
02-16-2011, 07:15 AM
you can run a malossi red or a hebo red just fine with the overrange on the 70. on ours, it holds up for 6 or more motos, very reliable. if yours is giving out that soon, you might have other problems besides the springs.

Check this:
-variator to rear pulley alignment - when you put the over range variator on, you need to change out the spacer behind the variator, and possibly shim behind the variator a bit to get the alignment right. you want, when looking from front to back on the quad for the pulleys to be on the same plane. if they are off, it generates excessive heat, losses power, and goes through springs quick.

-stall to high? - if you are up there on stall, same deal can generate too much heat and wear the springs out too fast. could also be the brand clutch you use does not slip enough on engage and is causing high heat.

-too tall final gearing? if you are really running a smaller rear sprocket (say under 30T), you might be putting too much "work" on the CVT and again generating excessive heat. could try coming up on rear sprocket and getting your top speed back with increase in roller weight.

JIM GRACE
02-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the info, 6 motos on a red mallossi - wow.
I am installing the overrange now and have
Never ran one before.

I did fabricate a spacer so the variator leaves just enough splines for the kicker
Pinion to bite.

How about roller weights for mx?

EthansDad
02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
on the variator spacing, don't focus so much on the spacing on the crank shaft by itself. focus on getting the front varitator to rear pulley aligned. If I recall for the malossi over range var, it needs to go in closer to the motor for the malossi over range pulley. Any fine tuning can be done with shims, but I can tell you being off 1-2mm will mess your day up and eat springs all day long.

We actually use the red hebo, but have used the malossi red in the past with the same results on our over range 70.

This is what I am talking about for alignment:

thequadfather+2
02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
He is correct, we run the malossi over range and we can get numerous motos out of the red malossi spring.

quadrider79
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Last year. I replaceed the torque spring every Moto. You would be surprized how much is lost in just 4 laps. I guess that is why I have 40 new springs for this season.

edwardsp&b
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Ill tell you another little trick I learned. Break the new spring in! I like to get it hot in the pits, then let it cool before the moto. Seems to hit just a tad harder after being broke in.
Bryan

JIM GRACE
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Lots of good info, the red mallossi I was told would get a better holeshot then the stiffer springs.

nordic quad
02-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
Ill tell you another little trick I learned. Break the new spring in! I like to get it hot in the pits, then let it cool before the moto. Seems to hit just a tad harder after being broke in.
Bryan

This is a good advice,the springs also seam to last a bit longer when they get broken in.
Stein A