PDA

View Full Version : Installed new starter clutch and having problems starting

DVXracer
02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I installed a new starter clutch that i got from a member off here, and no when i try and start it, instead of it making a severe metal on metal sound, it just sounds like its slipping, and wont turn the motor over. If i take the small cover off the starter gears, and try and move the flywheel gear with my finger it is very tough to move, shouldnt this gear roll very effortlessly? What did i do wrong?

My only guess would be over tightened it? All i know is that im pissed i just wasted a fresh gasket and brand new oil. :mad:

Pipeless416
02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
the flywheel should not really roll effortlessly. think about it.. when you turn the flywheel, you're moving the piston, creating compression, unless you spin it backwards, which is why the starter clutch is a one way bearing. it sounds stupid, but are your battery terminals connected right? when i installed my new starter clutch, i accidentally had it reversed, so the starter motor spun the opposite direction and it just spun everything backwards.

edit: did the timing key fall out when you had everything apart?

DVXracer
02-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
the flywheel should not really roll effortlessly. think about it.. when you turn the flywheel, you're moving the piston, creating compression, unless you spin it backwards, which is why the starter clutch is a one way bearing. it sounds stupid, but are your battery terminals connected right? when i installed my new starter clutch, i accidentally had it reversed, so the starter motor spun the opposite direction and it just spun everything backwards.

edit: did the timing key fall out when you had everything apart?

I tried rolling the gear backwards so that the crank wouldn't turn and it was still tough. The battery termimals are on correctly. Not sure about the timing key, but I don't recall anything falling out...