PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning of engine cases before rebuild.

eprovenzano
02-15-2011, 06:08 AM
I've recently split the cases to replace the crank and bearings on my 99 400ex. I've scraped all of the gasket material off the cases in preparation of the rebuild. The cases are now filthy from the old oil, residue from the gaskets, and from years of use and abuse... My question, what does everyone use to clean the cases, both inside and out? My 1st thought would be to use a parts washer, but I don't have access to one.... In the past I have resorted to using the laundry tub with dish detergent, and then blowing off the water with my air compressor, and finally spraying everything down with WD-40.

Sooooo what are the forum's suggestions….

trailrider894
02-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Use Eagle One Etching Wheel Cleaner. It will do a perfect job. Use Brakeleen on the inside. It will require some scrubbing, but it i will get them near spotless.

400man
02-15-2011, 07:00 AM
I use carb cleaner alot to break down nasty stuff in the motor, then wipe it all out with a paper towel or shop rag or something.

CJM
02-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Brake clean is basically acetone in a spray can, it leaves no residue. Crab cleaner leaves an oily residue.

I like using brake cleen and simple green on the non critical stuff.

slightlybent47
02-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Gas in a bucket works well, also Chem Dip will do the job as well.
Some cleaners will etch the aluminum so be careful with trying new chemicals.

eprovenzano
02-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Yep back in the day, (damn I'm showing my age) gas was the cleaner of choice...

slightlybent47
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by eprovenzano
Yep back in the day, (damn I'm showing my age) gas was the cleaner of choice...

Well back then gas was under $1.00 a gallon, now at $4.00 it’s not so cheap anymore.

under $1.00 a gallon........Oh crap I really am showing my age.lol

trailrider894
02-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Well back then gas was under $1.00 a gallon, now at $4.00 it’s not so cheap anymore.

under $1.00 a gallon........Oh crap I really am showing my age.lol

Lowest i remember was $1.56. But a gallon of gas is 2.89 here. So its cheaper than brake cleaner and choke cleaner.

eprovenzano
02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes I do remember gas being less then $1.00... I remember when gas pumps only had two digits (they didn't think gas would be more than $0.99.) Its currently $3.11 now... but its still one of the best cleaners, and the one I'll probably use.

CJM
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
You guys are old farts for sure :D

When I started driving gas was still a buck tho, and Im not even that old.

slightlybent47
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Back then I would work all week for some money to go out on Saturday night. For $30.00 I could fill up the car, it took 20 gallons because they all had large tanks. And usually put in a quart or two of oil, buy something to eat, go to a movie, get a pack of smokes and a beer or two and run around town all night.

Now it takes $50.00 just to fill up.

CJM
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
id be happy for 50 bucks, my toyota has a 25 gallon tank and it takes about 60 to fill when the light comes on (I still have 5 gallons left always which is nice so I dont usually run out). Still at around 15-17mpg mixed city/hwy I aint doing so good. Probably shouldnt have junked the ford taurus I had that needed a fuel pump and brake work..

hocman123
02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
my gas tank in my bronco is 34 gallons it sucks to fill it up from empty. it would cost me around 80.00 dollers now when the price is 2.89. but back when prices were 4.30 or so it needed 60 to get a half a tank and it was my every day work truck back when it was 4 something a gallon

CJM
02-15-2011, 04:03 PM
^ I remember that, it sucked so bad too. That sucker eats gas as well :(

eprovenzano
02-23-2011, 07:55 AM
I was able to find someone with a parts washer (although I needed to clean the wash area before I started). I scrubbed the internal and external of the cases thinking I did a decent job... While waiting for the new bearings to arrive, I was wiping down the inside of the cases, and was still not happy with the cleanliness. I found bits of material from the scrapping of the gaskets that were still in nooks and crannies of the case. So out of desperation (and boredom while waiting on the bearings) I took the case to the laundry tub. I scrubbed the internals down with dish soap and hot water, yes dish soap and hot water... There was a lot of stuff I did not get with the parts washer that came out with the hot water wash...

I took the cases out to my air compressor and toughly sprayed all water out the cases, and then sprayed it down with WD-40. The next day they were wiped again, and another coating of WD-40... Let’s just say the internals are now OEM factory clean, and when I pull the bearings out of the freezer for installation, everything will drop in without a problem... I hope.