PDA

View Full Version : 07 carb issues??

Sniper05
02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Well my motor is pretty stock except, pipe and intake! I'm runnin a 165 main, 45 pilot, and 1.5 out on the fuel screw! The problem is, when i go to give it fuel it cuts out, sometimes even dies, and all the time not just when its cold, and it idles real high and dont come back down until i put it in gear with the Rekluse! I'm not a carb guy, i can work on em but, they confuse the snot outa me! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Chad

midwi
02-14-2011, 09:03 PM
The bogging/dieing when you punch the throttle sounds like you need a 55 leak jet. It'll shoot more fuel in when you open the carb with the big gulp of air. The idling sounds like possibly an air leak. Hope this helps.

Sniper05
02-15-2011, 09:00 AM
So the leak jet is? Is that the pilot? Also where would be a good place to start to look for a air leak?

midwi
02-16-2011, 03:31 AM
The leak jet is in the bottom of the bowl of the Carb. It isn't the pilot. The leak jet controls how much fuel goes back into the bowl from the accelerator pump. Hence, the smaller the jet the less fuel back into the bowl and more into the engine. The air leak would probably be between the Carb and the engine.

Sniper05
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Where can I get leak jets? Do yhey come with a complete jet kit?

Sniper05
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I cant find any nowhere, please let me know where I can get one!!

quad2xtreme
02-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd go with the HRC carb kit...

comes with #162 jet, an HRC needle, and a #55 accelerator pump bypass.

16020-NLZ-610.

You may still need that #165 jet you have. just depends on your total setup.

There is an accelerator pump timing screw setting too. Mark where it is now and then come out another 1 and 1/8 turn.

Sniper05
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Can ya shoot me a website.to get it.from!

Sniper05
02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Where can i get the T-Handle fuel screw? Also do you guys recommend i run the HRC needle in the kit?

quad2xtreme
02-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Sniper05
Where can i get the T-Handle fuel screw? Also do you guys recommend i run the HRC needle in the kit?

Definitely run the HRC needle.

Sniper05
02-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Cool, which clip position should I run?

quad2xtreme
02-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Cool, which clip position should I run?

3rd groove from the top.

Sniper05
02-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Pretty easy.to get to? Do I have to take the carb off, or can I ckock it the side?

quad2xtreme
02-19-2011, 06:29 AM
If you bought the kit, you will need to remove the carb to put the accelerator pump bypass jet in. I never had any luck twisting the carb sideways.

Pretty easy to the airbox and carb off. If I were you, I'd clean it out with carb spray and blow out the jets while you are in there.

quad2xtreme
02-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Don't forget the accelerator pump setting that needs another 1 1/8 turn out from standard position.

The screw is shaped like the letter D. mark a line with a permanent marker so you know the factory setting. If you don't have the "D" tool to get in there, you can cut a nice straight slot through the part surrounding the screw and the screw. This will allow you to adjust with a flat blade screw driver.

All this would be easier if you had the setup manual for the HRC kit.

Sniper05
02-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Ok cool, so I could just use a dremel tool to cut the slot, and is that in the bowl to or when I take the bowl off? The kit should be here today, so I plan on doin it when I get off work, when I take the top cover off the needle should slide right out, correct?

quad2xtreme
02-19-2011, 08:20 AM
accelerator pump screw is under the plastic cover on the side of the carb where the throttle cable feeds in. I will be about 3/4 round but then have a flat side to it. Mark a line along this flat edge and that will mark factory position. I'd cut a slot across perpendicular with a dremel if there is room. I should have told you to order part 16030-NLZ-610. It is the little plastic tool that fits this screw.

The accelerator pump bypass jet is under the carb bowl.

The needle is under the top cover. There are a couple screws holding it into place. Be careful to get the clip, washer, spring in the correct order.

Sniper05
02-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks a bunch man! Ill let u guys know how it went lol

quad2xtreme
02-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks a bunch man! Ill let u guys know how it went lol

Do you live any where near Harlan, Kentucky? We ride Black Mountain about 6 times a year or so.

Sniper05
02-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I live in northern ky, i'm from barborsville ky, i know where u are, were headed to the gorge this weekend to ride, u get a chance stop up and hang out and ride for a while, Pm me if ya get a chance to stop out!

Sniper05
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Well quick question, I took my needle out to replace it with the hrc one, there is no spring and washer in yhere? Wtf is that, isnt there supposed to be one in there? I can here the needle move back and forth in there!

quad2xtreme
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Well quick question, I took my needle out to replace it with the hrc one, there is no spring and washer in yhere? Wtf is that, isnt there supposed to be one in there? I can here the needle move back and forth in there!

yep. sounds like you found your problem.

Sniper05
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
So was it a good thing stil to change yhe needle and leak jet? Cause I alrrady did that and went out another turn on yhe fuel screw!

quad2xtreme
02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
So was it a good thing stil to change yhe needle and leak jet? Cause I alrrady did that and went out another turn on yhe fuel screw!

I'd say yes. The HRC is a much better needle.

Sniper05
02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I took the spring outa my spare motor and stuck it in there, I didnt get to ride it, but the bog is still very much there, I did everything I adjusted yhe fuel screw and the leak jet, but it still boggin?

quad2xtreme
02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I'd move down to the 162 main and put the stock 42 slow jet in to see if it gets better or worse.

You are running with the air box lid off, correct?

Sniper05
02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Would i benifit from stock jetting with a aftermarket pipe and filter? I dont mind, but i dont have the stock slow jet! I put the clip on the needle on the 3rd groove down, correct? The fuel screw was 1.5 turns out and i adjusted it another full turn out for a total of 2.5 turns out, replaced the leak jet with a #55, i didn't adjust the acc pump screw, cuase i couldn't really get in there with a dremel tool, so i'm just gonna get the tool sometime this week! This is why i hate carbs, i just cant seem to get em figured out lol!

quad2xtreme
02-21-2011, 08:17 PM
turn the fuel screw in until it starts to stumble then turn it out 1/2 turn. If it pops when slowing down then turn it out a 1/4 turn more.

3rd groove down is correct. You are sure you have all the right parts on the needle...in the correct order?

DnB_racing
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Would i benifit from stock jetting with a aftermarket pipe and filter? No you will not see any benefit from this!!!unless you fell the motor bieng rebuilt is a benefit!!

running lean is very bad, running rich is also bad...

we can only get you close, but to have it right you really need to understand carbs.. there are some good carb jetting guides on the net do some research and carbs will become very simple to work on

here is a good article on jetting but there are many more
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

Sniper05
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
turn the fuel screw in until it starts to stumble then turn it out 1/2 turn. If it pops when slowing down then turn it out a 1/4 turn more.

3rd groove down is correct. You are sure you have all the right parts on the needle...in the correct order?

When i first opened my carb there was no washer and spring in there, so i snagged the one out of my spare motor, but it didnt seem to help, i need to get a aftermarket fuel screw so i can tune it, right now i have ti take the carb off to get to the screw, so its a pain! I'm just lost, it still hangs in idle also, not really sure whats goin on!

DnB_racing
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
make sure you dont tighen the The A/F screw to much its soft brass and will flaten out and never seat properly if tightened just snug it to find bottom

Sniper05
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Not sure guys, i put the spring and washer back in the carb and its still the same way! I'm lost!

nick15
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
hey man im just throwing this out there i have a 08 and thought i was having all kinds of carb problems to just like u are i took it all apart cleaned it all changed jets fuel screw everything still didnt work went round and round with it turned out there is a little sensor button in your carb were your throttle cable comes down into that button wore out i replaced it and runs great now maybe something to look into

DnB_racing
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by nick15
hey man im just throwing this out there i have a 08 and thought i was having all kinds of carb problems to just like u are i took it all apart cleaned it all changed jets fuel screw everything still didnt work went round and round with it turned out there is a little sensor button in your carb were your throttle cable comes down into that button wore out i replaced it and runs great now maybe something to look into are you talking about the switch thats part of the t.o.r.s.???if so that will only keep from running if not working properly, it wont affect performance at all

Sniper05
02-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I was gonna say, mine is bypassed!
Not sure if I have to have it or not?

DnB_racing
02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
no you dont need that!!! its only a safty incase something sticks to kill spark, if it runs then its fine!!!

Sniper05
02-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok thanks, I gotta do something, it runs great besides that bog!

quad2xtreme
02-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Ok thanks, I gotta do something, it runs great besides that bog!

From the start, I thought your main was too large given your mods. It is so hard to help over the net. Stock main is #120. HRC kit which mods the exhaust, headpipe, no lid on box, and a cam change only goes to 162 main.

I even think the 45 slow jet is too big bu that one is an easy tell just based on how many turns out you need to set the air/fuel mixture ratio.

Do you have like a 155 main to just throw in as a test?

Sniper05
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
No I sure don't, but I'll get one to see! I have the 162 that cane with the kit? But that's not a big difference, but u think all the other things I did were ok, thinkin maybe my jetting is just a little to big?

quad2xtreme
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
No I sure don't, but I'll get one to see! I have the 162 that cane with the kit? But that's not a big difference, but u think all the other things I did were ok, thinkin maybe my jetting is just a little to big?

I do.

what is the intake mod you mention in the 1st post? I assume it includes no lid, right?

Sniper05
02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Yup no lid with a no toil filter! And full LRD pipe!

DnB_racing
02-24-2011, 08:39 AM
are you sure there are no air leaks in the boot??? usually slow to come back to idle indicates a lean condition, with your mods and jetting it should be close enough not to hang like that

Sniper05
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I'll check first thing tomorrow when i get home about the air leak!