View Full Version : Roll chassis and precition stabilizer mount

K-Dub
02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I read on here where some guys are using the KFX450 mount on the Roll frame with some modification. I ordered one and can see no way of using the KFX ,mount. It is not wide enough to get a good grip on the frame rails. Can anyone post a picture of how they did this.

Thanks in advance.

Higgy87TRX425
02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
I bought one of those WER stabilizers mounts for my LOBO, but I'm not sure how it mounts up. I have a regular PEP steering stabilizer, however I've nener mounted it up before? I've never mounted any steering stabilizers up before. I figured that I'd need one due to the power of the Puma. I'm interested in the Kawasaki one that ur talking about though because I have the same Roll frame. I'm gonna watch this thread top see what you come up with?

troybilt
02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a KFX on my Laeger narrow frame:

...obviously not a LOBO but may or may not help you...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/Project%20Elsinore/DSCN1043.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/Project%20Elsinore/DSCN1041.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/Project%20Elsinore/DSCN1050.jpg

Higgy87TRX425
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks man, its good to see how things mount up. I still need to research my WER stabilizer mounts to see what type of stasbilizer to run? Sorry to hijack your thread.

addictedtomud
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Here's a pic of a WER stabilizer mounted on a Laeger narrow frame. Should mount up the same on a LOBO.

addictedtomud
02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry about the poor quality, these are pic of pics!!

addictedtomud
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
K-Dub, what length is your stem? If it's plus 2" you could switch to a setup like this: ( I have a spare)

addictedtomud
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
But with a MX gas tank, you might bust your chin on it!

addictedtomud
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Your lobo should have a mount built in for an el cheapo stick type stabilizer too. I know this is not helpful toward your original question about using a KFX mount on a Precision stablizer, but at least you have options and your thread is back on top!

Higgy87TRX425
02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
My mount looks nothing like those. Maybe its not a WER mount. I wish I had a pic to post. it looks like it has to mount to 4 frame tubes, because it has 4 mounting brackets one on each corner of the set-up then it has a a big hole and some linkage that comes off of it. It was forsale on E-bay about 4 months ago for like $225 it was suppose to be for a LOBO chassis only. Thats why I bought it. I think that its for the GPR style sabilizers that I've seen in this thread? I'll post pics later on this week when I get out to my garage. Thanks for the help so far. It will be easier to figure out after I get pics up! Higgy.

K-Dub
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Higgy: Not a problem, highjack all you want if it helps you also.

Troy: Thanks for the pictures. The Leager frame rails must be closer together than the ones on my Roll where you have the mount. When I put the KFX mount across my frame the way you have it, it barely catches the frame rails. I would be afraid that a hard hit would just spin the mount in the frame. This gives me some ideas though.

Addicted to Mud: Ive been meaning to get a hold of you, expect a text tomorrow or Thursday. Your pictures of the WER mount also give me some ideas, the one that mounts on the bars scares me that I would end up with a metal chin. And yea dont wanna end up with a stick type, but thanks for the bump.

Gonna go measure the distance between the frame rails on my 450R from looking at some of these pictures.

Thanks for the help everybody.

89trx250r
02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
hey man im pretty sure we just got this figured out over in the hybrid section your best bet is to call precision and ask them what there recommendation would be on which stabilizer to get the guy in the hybrid section had a walsh frame and you have a roll frame on the website it says they have option for aftermarket frames and list laeger,lonestar and arens so im sure the roll has to have similar geometry to one of those.

trx293pv
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Alright guys...I just had a custom upper mount machined for this exact setup and the lower is pretty easy to build with a drill and a saw. It cost me $160 for the upper mount. The guy who did it got it wrong the first time and I had to have it redone but he got it perfect the second time. I can have a couple more made and send them out to you both if you want. You'll also need to have an adjustable link arm. If you need the lowers made I can also arrange to have that done.

Higgy87TRX425
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah my WER mount has an adjustable link arm connected to the base so I really need to get pics of it up so we have something to go on. I think that my mount will work I'm just not sure what kinda Stabilizer to buy. I will put pics up real soon! So you guys can help me figure this thing out. Thanks guys. Higgy.

Mony25
02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
I can probably get you a pic this weekend coule questions for you are you mounting it in front or behind stem? Mine is on the front as far forward as the frame rails will allow. As far as being to narrow my mount measures about 4 1/4'' wide. The 12mm bolts on the bottom of the stabalizer i had to grind the rib that holds it in between the rails almost all the way into the bolts. There is only about a 1/16 of material left before the bolts. without doing this on mine the mount wouldnt fit between the rails. I hope you can understand this kind of hard to explain.

K-Dub
02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
A picture would be great. I measure my mount width in morning. But it just barley catches my frame width ways. It would never hold through a hard hit. I understand about machining were you mean, but I wouldnt have to cause it drops in the frame. It only catchs like 1/4 of each rail. I wonder if the upper fram rails are different widths on different years of Roll frames? Been trying to talk with Doug for a couple weeks but he is never in when I call.

Higgy87TRX425
02-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Thats funny I can never get ahold of Doug when I call Roll either! Maybe like 1 in 10 tries. See he confused me the very first time I called him he answered the phone. Ever sinse then its been hit and miss. The reseptionist I think her name is Paige, sounds hot though! Lol. So I don't mind leaving a message ha ha! Yeah I'm gonna try and get out to my bike tomarrow to post pics up. Until then goodnight!

dtowndiesel
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Higgy87TRX425
Thats funny I can never get ahold of Doug when I call Roll either! Maybe like 1 in 10 tries. See he confused me the very first time I called him he answered the phone. Ever sinse then its been hit and miss. The reseptionist I think her name is Paige, sounds hot though! Lol. So I don't mind leaving a message ha ha! Yeah I'm gonna try and get out to my bike tomarrow to post pics up. Until then goodnight!

Yeah seriously I'm pretty sure she's smoking hot too. I never have a problem getting ahold of Doug and even when I can't he always calls back or emails right away, and he's always more than helpful no matter what the question is. He seems to remember every detail about every version of his Lobo's, I'm sure he'd be very helpful with your steering stabilizer questions. I know he was when I had stabilizer questions. I had a WER that mounted behind the front bumper just like addictedtomud posted a pic of but I sold that a few years ago. Since then I have only ran the true Roll Design stabilizer that the frame is set up for and it works great. Good Luck!

SilverLake250R
02-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Ohhh f'k yeah Paige.

Higgy87TRX425
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Dtowndiesl, I would be interested in looking at pics of the True Roll Design stabilizer. Because thats what I thought I had purchased. Well at least the mount for it. I thought that I bought the one that I'm suppose to run with this frame? Yeah, I always end up getting ahold of Doug and don't get me wrong I'm not bad mouthing him. He's always helped me. It's just been kinda hard for me to get in touch with him the last few times that I've tried. Great guy though and he definately has his @#*% down.

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
IDK if this helps

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:48 PM

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Mony25
02-20-2011, 07:53 PM
these pics are small and not real good was hard to get a good one my shocks are in the way in the front and rad in the back but hopefully you get the idea.

Higgy87TRX425
02-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I just got back from San Diego Supercross, it rained but it was still sick!! I'll have top get those pics later this week. The ones I just looked at of your bike Mony25 don't look anything like my mount? Maybe I'll drive out there tonight and get those photos taken so we can clear this whole thing up. Thanks for the input though!

troybilt
02-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Here's a good pic of a WER stabilizer mount on a Roll chassis:

(see what you think)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/0471.jpg

K-Dub
02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the reply's gentlemen, its been a big help. I have my blue print layed out.

Troy I was looking at making the stabilizer mount in that location but in a different way, but decided that it would be hard to get all the angles correct.

Thanks

Higgy87TRX425
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Now thats what my WER mount looks like. Thanks for the pics. I was wondering how it mounted up!! Could I get a few more close up shots of it. This will give me a great excuse to buy a new stabilizer. Since I don't have the correct one for my set-up!!! LOL!!

troybilt
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Now thats what my WER mount looks like. Thanks for the pics. I was wondering how it mounted up!! Could I get a few more close up shots of it. This will give me a great excuse to buy a new stabilizer. Since I don't have the correct one for my set-up!!! LOL!!

I'll see what I can do, that wasn't my bike... though.. LOL!

Higgy87TRX425
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Cool, at least I can see some of it. At least I know where to mount the mount now!! Thats a start!! Now I just need to make sure that I buy the correct stabilizer.

dtowndiesel
02-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Dtowndiesl, I would be interested in looking at pics of the True Roll Design stabilizer. Because thats what I thought I had purchased. Well at least the mount for it. I thought that I bought the one that I'm suppose to run with this frame? Yeah, I always end up getting ahold of Doug and don't get me wrong I'm not bad mouthing him. He's always helped me. It's just been kinda hard for me to get in touch with him the last few times that I've tried. Great guy though and he definately has his @#*% down.

Here's a pic of the stabilizer that would have came on your Lobo when it was new. It's a Bilstein shock. Doug told me once that its the same shock Volkswagon uses on one of their hatchback cars to lift the rear hatch (I forget which model, maybe a rabbit). You can buy this shock at any automotive parts store for $15 and all Doug did to it was cut the end of the shaft off, thread it, put a heim collar on it, attach it to a billet clamp and put a ROLL sticker on it. BOOM, you have a $100+ stabilizer.

Sorry I don't have a pic of it mounted, my Lobo's in storage. But it mounts directly to the frame on the left side in front of the motor. There's a mounting hole in the frame that goes all the way through the frame and then obviously the billet clamp goes around the steering stem on the lower part of the stem.

It's obviously not adjustable but it does work very well. Mine came with a WER rotary style stabilizer that was on a plate and mounted directly behind the bumper using the top two bumper bolts. I sold it on ebay shortly after I bought my Lobo, Its way less clutter mounted to the frame and if yours looks like the one troybilt posted it looks like it blocks the radiator somewhat. The Roll unit just tucks under the frame nicely and looks like it belongs. I just really like having the actual Roll Design stabilizer:)

I personally own two of them and they do pop up on ebay from time to time. Hopefully this is somewhat insightful.

Higgy87TRX425
02-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Here's my WER mount I just got it installed today.

Higgy87TRX425
02-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Hers a photo of it on the bike.

Higgy87TRX425
02-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Thats funny Doug used a stabilizer off of a VW to put on the Lobo. I don't like the idea of my bike using parts that used to be on a Volkswagon seeing how they're built like snap together models and they seem come apart just as easy!! How about a part off of tank now that would make me feel a little better about it. At least a Cadilac. LOL. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new stabilizer. I already have one that looks like the Roll Design one in your photo. I guess I could use my PEP one. I think the one thats suppose to go with the WER mount looks alot stronger and like its better quality, Man I can't wait for the Lobo to run!! All I need is race gas and I can kick her over and listen to her purr!!!

K-Dub
02-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Dtown

Thanks for the info, wasnt aware thats what Roll used for a stabilizer. I like learning as much of the history about the 250R as I can.

I went with Precision for protection, they seem to take the most shock out of the feed back. Ive had surgery on my right elbow twice to fix the ligament and tendon, so Im just wanting some protection from the bars jamming my elbow or I wouldnt be running one. Ive never ran a stabilizer before. So I went with the Pro model, figured if I was gonna run one Id make it the best one.

MANIAK 88R
02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey, anyone on here have any quality comparison between a high end linear stabilizer and one of the rotary stabilizers?

My protrax has the linear and I still get the twitchy feedback in the bars.

I was just wondering if a rotary stabilizer was a huge difference or only mildly better.

I am looking for something with about double the dampening that I currently have.

I have a PEP stabilizer on the bike now.

It is in perfect condition, and adjusted as hard as it will go.

troybilt
03-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by MANIAK 88R
Hey, anyone on here have any quality comparison between a high end linear stabilizer and one of the rotary stabilizers?

My protrax has the linear and I still get the twitchy feedback in the bars.

I was just wondering if a rotary stabilizer was a huge difference or only mildly better.

I am looking for something with about double the dampening that I currently have.

I have a PEP stabilizer on the bike now.

It is in perfect condition, and adjusted as hard as it will go.

I heard to pro's used to run 2 stick stabilizers on the Protrax... That's why I opted to go for the Precision Pro puck style stabilizer.

89trx250r
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
it was my understanding you used to have to run 2 stick style stabilizers due to the fact that one would handle the turning and one would handle the center kinda like the way the precision has both built into one

MANIAK 88R
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Ah, I guess I'm short a stick then.

No wonder my wife is never satisfied after riding my bike.

Thanks for the info guys.

K-Dub
03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
LOL at above.

Well got my mount about half finished today, hopefully complete tomorrow or thursday. I post a picture of it before I mount it to stay, and another when its all mounted.

K-Dub
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Well I got my mount made and the stabilizer on my Roll, here are the pictures.

http://jb.zippytech.com/~kevin/Roll%20Lobo/stab1.png

http://jb.zippytech.com/~kevin/Roll%20Lobo/stab2.png

http://jb.zippytech.com/~kevin/Roll%20Lobo/stab3.png

http://jb.zippytech.com/~kevin/Roll%20Lobo/stab4.png

http://jb.zippytech.com/~kevin/Roll%20Lobo/stab6.jpg

Higgy87TRX425
03-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Thats looks pretty good man. You did a nice job on that! You just need to polish it up now and it will be perfect! lol!

Mony25
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
I have to agree that does look really good looks like it would take a beating to.

K-Dub
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the compliments. It took alot of work and trail and error fitting to get it to fit tight. Yes I went for more beef than the Precision mount. Didnt want any chance of it spinning in the frame.

I dont know how much polishing the mount will get, this is getting MX raced, not a show piece. I had it to the track sunday, and got some guys telling me the frame was to nice to race. Buts that why I bought and hunted a low hour one that no one else has beat to death.