PDA

View Full Version : not running like should

mad4106
02-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I got beat my a stock 400 with a slip on exhaust i have curtis sparks x6 full exhaust, 11:1 wiseco piston standard bore and stage 2 hotcam and he beat me by a nose. Something is definitely wrong we swap bikes i got on his and he rode mine and i beat him. Do yall think my timing can be off cause a mechanic said the cam lobes are suppose to be facing down any other suggestions wat mite be wrong?!

CJM
02-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Did you ever figure out why you were burning oil?

That bike should beat a stocker no problem. Im willing tobet your losing compression-test it and see.

And yes the cam lobes should be face down when the piston is at top dead center.

mad4106
02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
not yet im about to tear her down with the help of my dad since he is a mechanic i had forgot to check the oil and was racing like that so im assuming i fried the piston rings. Im never going to make that mistake again lol!

scottdom
02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
whats your gearing vs. his, what tires are you each using, whats the rider weight comparison. There's a lot to be said in racing about tire roll out and gearing and hp to weight ratio. If thats a non issue, meaning your the same then I'd look at jetting. By this I mean, I rebuilt my quad from ground up and never took it to a dyno for proper jetting. I was riding it one day and blew the gasket. We did a rebuild and took it to a dyno, here I found out that the whole time I was running 18:1 (horrible lean). After we properly jetted the quad on the dyno I gained a full 15-17hps on top end. All because it wasn't properly jetted. Most guys do mods and then look at the spark plug and tailpipe to figure out if they are "jetted" right. I learned a valuable lesson. If there is a dyno near you it would be in your best interest to know. Just a thought. Good luck.