PDA

View Full Version : Our First Heavy testing weekend on DWT mini mx tires

EthansDad
02-14-2011, 10:09 AM
We decided to try something new this year and give the DWT MX mini tires a go. We put a set on our 50 mod and 70 CVT bikes and took them out to a national track for some testing.

First observations - the DWT fronts have a excellent tread pattern, similar in weight to other top brands and seem to stand taller and narrower running at 11psi.

The rears - they sit a bit taller and wider than the snow hogs 18s with a very aggressive tread pattern. much more on the side wall as far as tread goes and much deeper nobs. Also came in a bit over weight compared to the snow hogs, but not by much. they are not at big as the maxxis 940s, and did not have as much "bounce" as those over sized tires either. we ran them a bit higher pressure at 9psi rather than the usual 4-5psi.

Track test - first run on 50 CVT/mod - rider hit 4 laps hard, no tips, spin outs or other traction issues. my observations - looks like in the corner the bike would slide in when driven hard, but unlike the snow hogs would have a hard "bite" point, throw a little roost, then hook and go. the same move on the snow hogs would generally give a longer drift/slide, more roost and overall a bit slower exit due to wheel spin and/or over slide that had to be corrected before getting back on the gas.

My biggest concern was the rears were going to bite too hard and bicycle/tip in the corners if driven in too hard. was surprised to see the slide is still there, just less of it.

My rider came off the track and first comment was "I don't like them". I think in 6 yr old speak that means "they are different". We talked about what I saw on the track and that it looked like the DWTs where giving him about 1 - 1.5 sec per lap advantage. He went back out for another riding session, this time 10+ laps. he had to change his riding style a bit, but was able to get the slide / corner charge speed he wanted comfortably. He was also exiting the corners straighter due to no over sliding, and was able to exit corners at a higher RPM since he did not need to lift to compensate for over slide.

When I asked my rider again about the DWT he said "oh yea, they are great!" Overall, we are pleased and will be running these at round 1 of the nationals in a few weeks.

raidernut
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
try 9 psi on the front, i think you will like it:)

EthansDad
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
will try that. Was just out looking at them, they do look a bit over inflated at 11psi. just very tall and narrow at the top. do you alike 8-10psi on the rears as well?

-EA

raidernut
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
We like 7-8 on the rears depending on track conditions. My son is pretty good about keeping his weight (what little he has :) ) on the inside of the bike when cornering, so cartwheeling is not a big issue for us. Just play with them a little. They are the most dominate tire for the mini's out there. Some have been too stubborn to try, at their loss.

thequadfather+2
02-15-2011, 05:51 AM
We have already worn a set out.....:D

We started with 5 psi and could not slide them and went to 7 then 8 and we run 8 now.

We have experimented with shaving the small outside lug. We shaved every-other lug about half way down.

We like them, have a couple more new sets ready to go on...