PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Problem

kookennay
02-14-2011, 08:39 AM
i treid a search didn't really find what i was looking for but i got an 06 and it doesn't seem to want to shift down. i like have to pull the shifter up a hair and then back down to down shift. is this a common problem? how can i fix it?

Colby@C&DRacing
02-14-2011, 09:52 AM
sounds like it might be a shift drum or shift fork issue or maybe a bent shift return pin.

kookennay
02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
SO I WOULDN'T KNOW WITHOUT TAKING IT APART?

Limited Z_400
02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Check your shift pin first.Remove the clutch side cover,clutch assy. including the basket.Inspect all of the shifter mechanism and related parts.

kookennay
02-15-2011, 08:17 AM
WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR ? I JUST GOT THIS WHEELER THE OTHER DAY I NOT REAL FAMILIAR WITH IT YET BUT I GOT IT PRETTY CHEAP.

bigbad400
02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
someone jammed it into gears and prolly bent the shift fork. either that or you really need an oil change. false neutrals are more common with bad oil. :(

Limited Z_400
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
before you grip it a part check ,the shift lever is tight on the shift shaft.

Limited Z_400
02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
someone jammed it into gears and prolly bent the shift fork. either that or you really need an oil change. false neutrals are more common with bad oil. :(
false neutral=bad oil???? Please explain

bigbad400
02-16-2011, 05:37 AM
as the viscosity of your oil gets shotty it can slip between gears and fall into a false neutral. actually quite common cus people dont think you need to change a quads oil... i change mine like every 3 rides and i use full synthetic oil. i used to work for a oil change company as there inspector and i was sent to many classes and seminars on oil. i only use top of the line and if you like your machine to stay running you should too.

Limited Z_400
02-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Very interesting-We race MX with our 06 and it "had" the famous false neutral.In our case we fix it by installing the 08 LTR complete shift mechanism assy.(about $125.00).All I can tell you is WOW. The shifts are plusher and no false neutral.In our case it oil quality is not the issue.
I will send a photo of the parts we replaced when I get home later today.

bigbad400
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
oil viscosity can play a huge roll in shifting properly. if oil breaks down and is not changed it can actually burn without burning and brittle the metal that its supposed to be lubricating. you can actually dry seize a motor with oil in it if its bean ****ty oil for too long. the oil turns to almost water consistency. this is why you use synthetic. its more than 50% longer life and will not fluctuate viscosity with temperature changes near as bad as conventional oil. take a jug of 10/30 put it in ur freezer. take a jug of full synthetic in the freezer, the conventional oil will come out like jello... very thick and not lubricating well. were the synthetic oil will poor out like its room temp. now heat both to hot. the conventional turns thin and runny and not lubricating well, were the synthetic remains the same viscosity as cold or room temp. there is alot of pressure and hp going through them gears they need to be kept properly lubed up.

limited z also i am interested to see the dif in the shift mechanism you switched out with. could you see a reason why it would work better or do you think its cus you used a new one and your 06 could have bean worn?

i have never found false neutral on my ltr but i had an old blaster that would get this problem when time for oil change.

i have found this to be quite prominent in street bikes too. i have a honda v65 magna and the v45. both bikes will find false neutrals when about 1000 miles on the oil. change oil, problem goes away.

Limited Z_400
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
This unit has very low hour and has no wear on the shifter parts.As a Suzuki atv Tech. I have only seen SOME 2006 LTRs with this problem.I do not have pics of the new 08 to compare to 06 but there are several changes.
It amazes me how some people do not think oil changes are important.
We recommend hourmeters on every LTR and RMZ we sell so the rider can keep track of their oil changes and other maintenace.

Also bigbad400, how do you like the CCP stabilizer?

bigbad400
02-16-2011, 12:15 PM
great. thanks for the info.

i sold a precision base model and a pro and baught the ccp. its less than half the price and for how i ride it feels way better. i felt like i had to try to turn back to straight comming out of corners with the precisions. this almost feels like it has a centering assist or something, you let go of the bars it like sets itself straight and i just hated how it like over steered me on the precision.

kookennay
02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
IT NOT ACTING LIKE IT IT GOING INTO NEUTRAL IT JUST NOT SHIFTING DOWN IT SHIFTS UP FINE JUST NOT BACK DOWN

Limited Z_400
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by kookennay
IT NOT ACTING LIKE IT IT GOING INTO NEUTRAL IT JUST NOT SHIFTING DOWN IT SHIFTS UP FINE JUST NOT BACK DOWN
Have you checked anything out yet?

kookennay
02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
NO I BEEN BUSY WITH WORK AND THE WHEELER IS AT MY IN LAWS AND THE TRANS MESSED UP IN MY TRUCK SO I HAVENT GOT IT UP TO MY SHOP YET, REALLY HASN'T BEEN MY WEEK! GOING TO TRY TO MESS WITH IT SUNDAY.

kookennay
02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
I went and road it yesterday and actually road it hard and it only seems to to do it every once in a while. Not enough i think i need to take it apart.

bigbad400
02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
lmao and in a month when its all locked up cus something finally broke and jammed into your transmission youll wish you took it apart and changed the what 70$ shift rod thats most likely bent. lol or a 5$ shift return spring..... your choice but its prolly a bad one at this point.

Limited Z_400
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
lmao and in a month when its all locked up cus something finally broke and jammed into your transmission youll wish you took it apart and changed the what 70$ shift rod thats most likely bent. lol or a 5$ shift return spring..... your choice but its prolly a bad one at this point.
I agree-well said.

kookennay
02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I i think i make it sound a lot worse than it is. only one or two times in 6 hours of riding did it feel like it didn't want to down shift. it may need the oil changed like said before. it seems to only do it when i am in high gear and pull the clucth in and stop fast then try to go back to first is when it acts funny.