PDA

View Full Version : What Slip On Exhaust

RugerShooter
02-14-2011, 08:35 AM
My bike is a 2001 400EX, the only after market is a K&N filter & a 13 tooth sprocket.

I am looking to get a s/o exhaust for my bike. I have looked at the FMF Power Core IV & a Lexx MXe (the Lexx comes with a mid pipe) & the Lexx is about $40 cheaper.
Which one would be the best one to get.

Also would I have to rejet my bike with the new exhaust on it (Utah).

Thanks for the help

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by RugerShooter
My bike is a 2001 400EX, the only after market is a K&N filter & a 13 tooth sprocket.

I am looking to get a s/o exhaust for my bike. I have looked at the FMF Power Core IV & a Lexx MXe (the Lexx comes with a mid pipe) & the Lexx is about $40 cheaper.
Which one would be the best one to get.

Also would I have to rejet my bike with the new exhaust on it (Utah).

Thanks for the help

I would do the FMF personally... there is no real reason, because the pipes will not have much of a noticeable power difference. The Lexx is more customizable with different tip's and things that like that.

YES!! You will have to re-jet for pipe!! This is something you have to do right away, because the engine will run lean if you don't re-jet.

finsteratv
02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
ive heard mixed things about the lexx but thats what im looking at. ALOT of guys on here hold some kind of nasty grudge against FMF??
personally i think i'd go with the lexx not only because of price but its quieter for where i ride.

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by finsteratv
ive heard mixed things about the lexx but thats what im looking at. ALOT of guys on here hold some kind of nasty grudge against FMF??
personally i think i'd go with the lexx not only because of price but its quieter for where i ride.

Yeah, FMF wasn't the best brand back in the day. They have a few good pipes, but thats it.

AtvKid4Eva
02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Look at HMF they make excellent power and are relatively cheap. Id stay away from LEXX since they take additional hardware to mount..Ive ran several HMF's on 400exs and they run great and saound good too.

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 10:36 AM
If you want the best all around sounding pipe it goes to the BIG GUN or MOTORWORKS.

426kidz
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Best pipe out there for the money is a hmf, You may wanna save up and get a full system I know alot of people think a slip on is all they want than end up selling for a full system something too think abou, try not too jump into something...HMF!

Rkangel7
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I've found the Lexx to be a nice pipe. Much better than the White Bros E-series that I used to have.

The only additional hardware I picked up for my Lexx was a 2" exhaust pipe clamp from NAPA auto for $3. It solved any "problems" I had with my pipe.

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Rkangel7
I've found the Lexx to be a nice pipe. Much better than the White Bros E-series that I used to have.

The only additional hardware I picked up for my Lexx was a 2" exhaust pipe clamp from NAPA auto for $3. It solved any "problems" I had with my pipe.

Why was it better than your E-Series? :huh

CJM
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I like the lexx, nice sound, good price. Bad news is it doesnt fit very well on the header pipe. 1 is due to design of the collar that goes over it and 2 is the way the midpipe of the muffler connects to the frame.

I been meaning to fix it right, for now its got an exhaust clamp on it, im gonna expand the header to fit the mid pipe or get a custom necked down midpipe section welded on or something. That will cure all the issues, then it can connect like the stocker does.

426kidz
02-14-2011, 11:50 PM
yeah...the HMF fits like a glove;)

wnyoa400ex
02-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Bills Pipes!

atvextremerider
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
go with hmf becayse of the power and sound or if u want a full go with curtis sparks

426kidz
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
yeah curtis sparks was my first choice...$$$$$....so i went with the HMF love it:)

Rkangel7
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Why was it better than your E-Series? :huh

My experience with the e-series: Cracked and broken welds. Inner core broke completely loose. Screws holding the discs would seize or break. Seemed to go through packing quickly. Noise tended to buffet the rider.

My experience with the Lexx: Mid pipe leaked at the connection with the header. Fixed with a $3 exhaust clamp. Other than that the build quality, can thickness, inner core all seem to be more robust than the e-series. Packing seems to last well and screws (rather than rivets) make repacking much nicer. Plus not as much noise buffeting.

Again, that's just been my experience.