PDA

View Full Version : Dodge diesel what is a good chip?

Longdong
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I pull a 24' race trailer and i am looking for a good chip or programer. I looking for something with a little power and mpg increase. What are some good options?

400exrider69
02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
in my option Edge would be best along with a bahf= big air filter
if you got an auto like i do make sure it's got a little work done to it before it's turned up to much. I've got a valve body and shift kit in my and it helps alot
cummins fourm is a great website

CJM
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
better question is, is your trans built to take more power?

motochamp250
02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
how much you looking for? looking for something you can put in and forget and still tow? if so the edge ez is pretty good.. or a programmer. any programmer for that year cummins will give about 60-65 hp and thats all.... anything over that and you have to tap the fuel pump. the auto will limit you.. i ran a hypertech for a while and it was nice power and towing safe and got pretty darn good milage and exhaust temp was never an issue towing...

its all in what you want.. my 02 cummins is fairly modified and this is a big hobby for me. let me know kind of what your looking for and i can help. i've ran almost all the boxes that have been out over the years :D

hunter

motochamp250
02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
as long as you don't beat the crap out of it, any of the 60-65 horse boxes shouldn't be an issue unless your tranny is already shot.

edit: btw as stated above, cumminsforum.com is a pretty good website, and so is dieseltruckresource.com ...

KXRida
02-14-2011, 10:13 AM
is it a 24v? better off looking for a programmer than a chip. I know the smarty's are what all the dodge guys are running for the new cummins'.

250x_kyle
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
is it a 24v? better off looking for a programmer than a chip. I know the smarty's are what all the dodge guys are running for the new cummins'.

98.5 and up are 24 valves

Longdong
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
The truck is stock. The tranny has about 50,000 on it. No I don't beat on it! I get around 14 mpg pulling my 81/2 x 24' trailer with about 2000pounds in it. I was just think if these chip do what they say on mpg. If i could 1 or 2 more mpg I would try one. Just toying with the idea.

motochamp250
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
i just sold my hypertech or i'd have let you try it. if your just looking for mpg's and maybe a little power id say get a programmer. never had a problem with my hypertech for 2.5 years. if you want a box under the hood the edge ez is good.. 2 connections on the motor and done and has a switch with like 15 35 and 55 horsepower levels. options are endless. search around on one of the diesel websites and check the classifieds there. see a few deals on there.

as i stated any programmer or box that doesnt tap the pump on the 98.5-2002 trucks wont be over 65 horsepower.. the newer dodges are a different story.. feel free to pm me any questions you have if you look around!
good luck!

hunter

KXRida
02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
as stated above, if you're looking for the mpg look into a programmer. When I dropped the dpf and programmed my f350 I jumped from 12ish in the city to around 17 and on the highway I now average around 26mpg.

400exrider707
02-14-2011, 02:13 PM
On a DPF equipped truck (which his is not) you can gain a lot of MPG from programming because you're also ditching the DPF and the whole regen process.

I'll tell you what I was told when I got into the diesel game. NEVER mod for MPG's, mod for power and be very happy if you gain some MPG's in the process.

It is ringing true to this day. I bought my first programmer with the hopes of gaining MPG's. It didn't happen. Granted I get the same mileage on my hot tunes as I did stock, so I didn't really lose anything, but gained the power so it was a good deal still IMO. I just hate to get guys hopes up and then they're crushed when they're getting the same or worse mileage. In most cases you can gain some, but I wouldn't go into it expecting it.

Smarty's are for the newer trucks. Even those are going to be a thing of the past soon with EFI live out for commonrails and the stand alone ECU's. (if you have the money to play...)

Cumminsforum is a joke IMO. There is a wealth of good dodge knowledge on CompetitionDiesel.com though...

KXRida
02-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
On a DPF equipped truck (which his is not) you can gain a lot of MPG from programming because you're also ditching the DPF and the whole regen process.

I'll tell you what I was told when I got into the diesel game. NEVER mod for MPG's, mod for power and be very happy if you gain some MPG's in the process.

It is ringing true to this day. I bought my first programmer with the hopes of gaining MPG's. It didn't happen. Granted I get the same mileage on my hot tunes as I did stock, so I didn't really lose anything, but gained the power so it was a good deal still IMO. I just hate to get guys hopes up and then they're crushed when they're getting the same or worse mileage. In most cases you can gain some, but I wouldn't go into it expecting it.

Smarty's are for the newer trucks. Even those are going to be a thing of the past soon with EFI live out for commonrails and the stand alone ECU's. (if you have the money to play...)

Cumminsforum is a joke IMO. There is a wealth of good dodge knowledge on CompetitionDiesel.com though...

The days of stacking are over when the commonrails go efi live. Better stomp all the other dodges in town before that happens. A buddy of mine has a PPE tuned Dmax and it runs close to my spartan tuned f350. I was impressed. Most of the dodge owners around here are too ignorant enough to try anything besides a brand name canned tune and end up settling with a bullydog tuner lol. They then wonder why they get crushed. MPG wise running my hot tunes I get a lot better mileage. Pulled an 8x20 trailer to new york I averaged 19mpg's but had to back off my hot tunes. Started to run a little hot on the hills.

motochamp250
02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
the smarty on the 98-02 is still prolly the best overall programmer. the power down low cant be matched and the multiple softwares for towing and daily driving. ran one for a while until i got my adrenaline and pulse.

the problem with chipping as stated above is when you get the extra power, you tend to keep your foot in it more, so the mileage you would be gaining is lost because you push the gas more :blah:

now the commonrails, those are different animals altogether from the old 24 valvers.. the adrenaline and pulse is prolly the baddest thing for the 98-02's the custom tuning is endless and the beta tunes are sweeet jmo

hunter

HondaPohl
02-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I used the hypertech. I made my own custom intake with a K&N filter. Ran great. If you have an automatic you better beef it up. I used a BD valve body and put a shift kit in my auto. Mine was a 99. That transmission has over 200,000 miles on it now. Ive been through about 4 torque converters thou.

Longdong
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM

You hit the nail on the head. That is a good statement.

HondaPohl
02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
True dat!!!!!!!!!!!111

woodsracer144
02-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by KXRida

those i think are used more so on the 6.7's

motochamp250
02-15-2011, 08:10 AM
smarty's are huge on the 03 and up common rails.. still pretty common on the 98-02 24 valves just not near as much power.. ~65 on the 98-02 and up to around 200 with the tnt-r tune on the 03 and up 5.9 commonrails.... not sure the specs for the 6.7 smarty

hunter

woodsracer144
02-15-2011, 09:51 AM
are the VP44 pumps performance pumps for the 98's?

Brauap
02-15-2011, 10:14 AM
...Dodge hasn't ever made a diesel... :confused:
Now they've SOLD a diesel.. but they never made one! :blah:

motochamp250
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
are the VP44 pumps performance pumps for the 98's?

The vp44 is just the injection pump on the 98.5-02 24 valve trucks..

smr
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
as someone else stated. Check out cummins forum... Lots of info there.

Also..don't get cought up into believing poeple who claim to get 25+ mpg...it just don't happen. Those people either don't know how to calculate fuel or they believe there on board (they are never right). Think about it for a minute. At 25 mpg in a 2500 or 3500 dodge you would go almost 900 miles between fillups.

I have a super chip programmer and I get about 20 mpg. I could do better if I babbyed it.

400exrider707
02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by smr

Also..don't get cought up into believing poeple who claim to get 25+ mpg...it just don't happen. Those people either don't know how to calculate fuel or they believe there on board (they are never right). Think about it for a minute. At 25 mpg in a 2500 or 3500 dodge you would go almost 900 miles between fillups.

I have a super chip programmer and I get about 20 mpg. I could do better if I babbyed it.

Don't let Pappy see that, he claims 25mpg in his dually.

I know some 6.4's can get near that but that's like 50mph driving on flat ground for an hour straight with tunes and DPF gone. realistic numbers are 12-18 for most diesel trucks. I get between 13 and 15mpg in my 6.0. And the Fords are HEAVY.

smr
02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Don't let Pappy see that, he claims 25mpg in his dually.

I know some 6.4's can get near that but that's like 50mph driving on flat ground for an hour straight with tunes and DPF gone. realistic numbers are 12-18 for most diesel trucks. I get between 13 and 15mpg in my 6.0. And the Fords are HEAVY.

I agree with you100%.

I can do a little better with mine if I drive slow enough. I don't even argue with people that make those claims. There will most likely be a few that pop on here to bash me, all I can see is...good for you. I have owned all three and the best I ever got was a 7.3 2wd. with straight pipes. I could get around 22 on the open road empty.

KXRida
02-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Hand calculated on the highway I averaged around 23ish on my last road trip to Harrisburg. If I can stay off the skinny pedal in town I'd get better mileage. Normal driving in town hand calculated is around 15. Driving how I like to drive is around 12-13. Get all the info you can before you buy anything... and for the love of god please don't put stacks on your truck.

hendershot106
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
go with a SMARTY tuner for the cummins.....they are nice.....just dont get crazy with a stock tranny.

motochamp250
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by smr

+1 the most I have ever gotten, actually driving for milage was about 750 miles to a tank..

hunter

woodsracer144
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
we got 22 with my fummins pullin a camper to CA.

EDIT- CA meaning Canada.

Longdong
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by smr

With or without a trailer

Longdong
02-15-2011, 04:01 PM
My dodge is a auto, 4x4 with 240,000 on it. I do drive easy.

Town or dirt road 18 mpg
Highway. 22 mpg
Pulling trailer 65mph. 14 mpg
Pulling trailer 70mph. 12 mpg

smr
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
that's empty. Pulling my 36 ft trailer I get about 14mpg. I do baby it when I'm towing