PDA

View Full Version : Stickey Swingarm?

ATVer14
02-14-2003, 09:33 PM
I just put my Houser +1.25 swingarm on my 400ex, and when the pivot bolt was loose (the nut wasn't tightened down yet), the swingarm would move up and down effortlessly. Then when I tightened the bolt down to 108nm (per the Honda service manual), the swingarm wouldn't even fall under its own weight. I had to force it to go up and down. I can't figure out what's sticking, or is this just normal until the parts get broken in?

P.S. My frame is PC'd as well, would the extra width of the PC make a difference in the fit?

Thanks,
Ken

02-14-2003, 09:48 PM
the powdercoat should not be the problem...normally..
i know ya said 108nm...is this the maximum torque spec?

ATVer14
02-15-2003, 07:13 AM
What do you mean by maximum torque spec? The Honda book says to tighten the bolt down to 108nm, is that what you mean?

02-15-2003, 07:34 AM
is it a oem manual?...are ya sure you didnt torque it to 108 ft. lbs?
sometimes there is a a range ...like 5-10 as an example ..
so 10 would be the maximum...get it ?

ATVer14
02-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Yep, it's an OEM manual, and I torqued it down properly, I'm not a complete idiot:D

02-15-2003, 03:05 PM
:D I'm out of ideas here,...cept maybe calling housers & ask then a few questions ;)

ATVer14
02-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Anyone else have any input?

kicken250x
02-15-2003, 09:49 PM
did ya lube it up good!:D

400MXer
02-16-2003, 01:10 AM
don't take what "2-R's Rider" said the wrong way. he's just trying to help. It is a forum and we are just trying to give some suggestions that might help. i'm not saying that your an idiot but it is very easy to confuse newton-meters with ft. lbs. if you have a bunch of nm. and it call's for foot pounds, your swingarm may not swing very well. I may have the same problem here in a few daYS. i just ordered a RPM swingarm and i need to buy a new pivot bolt. hopefully everything bolts together without any problems.

But the funny thing is, that if i do have a problem, i've got about 200 answers on this forum to help me out. Thanx guys.

Chef
02-16-2003, 01:38 AM
Well...if it got tight when you tightened the bolt down, it must have flexed the mounting spots on the frame in to the swingarm...which means you got that mofo tight!

ATVer14
02-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Yes, it's lubed good. I anti-seized the bolt (which is brand new), and put some grease in the zerks when I had everything together. I'm not taking anything the wrong way, I was more or less making fun of myself because I do a lot of stupid things (I guess you could say I learn from my mistakes:D ). I know I tightened it down to the right torque specs, my torque wrench only goes to 110nm, so I couldn't have gone much higher than that even if I did screw it up.

440MXer- what do you mean you have 200 answers already?

Chef- Nope, the mounting points didn't flex, because when the bolt isn't tight, it swings fine.

Any other ideas? I'm just as confused as you guys are. I did everything right, and it ended up wrong! Thanks
Ken

NacsRacing400
02-16-2003, 09:48 AM
I had a houser + 1.25 also and it did the same thing as your did when i first put it on. Its just the bearings are new but when you ride it a few times it will loosen up.

Chef
02-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by ATVer14
Chef- Nope, the mounting points didn't flex, because when the bolt isn't tight, it swings fine.

Any other ideas? I'm just as confused as you guys are. I did everything right, and it ended up wrong! Thanks
Ken

Thats exactly what I meant. When the bolt is loose still, there isnt any pressure on the frame where the bolt goes through. When you tighten it down, it might move those in a little. Just ride it, jump it a bit, see what happens I guess.

Chef
02-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Actually, come to think of it, my RPM did the same thing when I put it on the first time....dont worry about it.

ATVer14
02-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Alright, thanks guys, I'll just have to try riding it when the rest of it gets back together!
NacsRacing400- this is your Houser swingarm! I'm the guy that bought it off you.
Thanks for all the replies, it put my nerves to rest.
Ken

NacsRacing400
02-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Ya they might still be tight seeing as how i didnt put more than 5 rides on it. How do you like it.

400exRacerX
02-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ATVer14

Ken

That meens the frame is flexing, if the bolt is loose and the swingarm moves freely when there is no pressure on the frame and then you tighten the bolt and the swingarm siezes up that meens the frame flexed.

The same thing happened to me when i first got my Laeger's swingarm. Just let it break in.

ATVer14
02-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Nacs- it looks great on there, but I havn't got to ride with it yet because I'm still waiting on some carb parts.

It looks like I've got to start riding and let this thing break in! Thanks
Ken