PDA

View Full Version : 86 Engine Rebuild Needed?

Wolverine21
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Just bought an 86 and took it out today. When I was riding it suddenly shut off and wouldn't kick over. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and tried to bump start it. It fired right up and kicked over everytime after. I've tried searching this problem and found a few things leading me to believe that it's time for a rebuild. I was told it was on it's second bore and it was rebuilt last year with less than 6 hours riding time on it. Should I pull this motor out and get it ready for a rebuild or could something else have cause the bike to shut off? Thanks for any help you can give me. If you want a mod list, let me know and I will post up what I was told about it.

DnB_racing
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
try a new plug, and some fresh gas, clean the air filter and change oil, and check your grounds and wires to make sure nothing is shorting out.. and ride it for alittle while and see if it needs anything else

Honda 250r 001
02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Did the motor just die, as in run out of fuel, no spark etc. Or did it come to a screaching hault as you were runnin wide open and it maybe partially seized. The motor stopped for a reason and it didnt just go away. Id look at the spark plug to see if there is pitting in the plug, then turn it over and listen to it, see if it sounds rough or if it sounds smooth. Pull the reed cage and carb off and look into intake and see what the piston looks like, also drain the oil and see if there are any shavings or strange material in there.

Wolverine21
02-13-2011, 08:16 PM
It just cut out and shut down. I was able to kick it, but it wouldn't start up. Once I bump started it, it ran fine. I'm guessing I shouldn't ride it if this is the case and get it to the motor shop?

Honda 250r 001
02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Im guessing it has a clog somewhere in the fuel system.

Wolverine21
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I'll try cleaning everything out tomorrow and see how it does after that, thanks for the help. If anyone else has a suggestion or a thought about the problem, please post them up.

k7mm
02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
It could be your stator,but then you got it to start again by bump starting it.You could pull off your stator cover and look at the pick up for the stator that bolts to the aluminum counter balancer holder.Look at the pick up nipple on it.If it's worn flat and does not stick out any more,then it may be struggling to pick up the signal.Also look at the metal pick up on the flywheel to see if it is worn at all.Sometimes dirt gets in there and chews at them.If they are not working properly,then you will have nothing.
Keith