PDA

View Full Version : I need a lock nut??

PaRedneckRiders
02-13-2011, 03:02 PM
What should i go with??

My stock one has the treads stripped at the end so it wont tighten up like it should be so i need a new one.

Should i just get another stock one or what??

Theres tons of different ones on ebay and i had my eyes on one of the mod quad ones ill post a link.
Anyway does that require me to use the stock inside piece of my locknut??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MODQUAD-DOUBLE-LOCKING-AXLE-NUT-BK-HONDA-TRX-400EX-450R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ 3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d706 6356324072989322QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em7QQcategoryZ439 72QQitemZ370478166588

I did buy an antifade one but it end up being for a 450r so i sold it bought it for 25 sold it for 30 so about broke even after shipping.

If anyone has a decent used lock nut PM me mayb ill take it off your hands for you.

Also i need one that will work with my axle(g-force), i thought all were universal but im not sure.

CJM
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I still have the stock one, but ive heard good things about the rad axle nut.

PaRedneckRiders
02-13-2011, 03:24 PM
does it screw on like the stock one and does it require me to use the stock inside piece because i think thats what stripped out on mine.

matts27
02-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I use the durablue locknut with the set screw. Hasn't loosened up once yet, been on almost 2 years. Also, I kept the stock locknut set-up and basically use it as a big shim to help with the take up on the locknut set up ( I cut the threaded spacer and left the nut attached to the threaded spacer) . To get the axle locked down tight I needed more travel than what was available with the stocker. This set-up has worked really well for me since I've had no issues with the carrier or axle being loose now. I had the same issue of axle nut loosing up with the stock axle & durablue axle. When I bought my g-force and installed the new carrier bearing and axle I noticed how with almost all the threads out the nut was just starting to tighten. This is why I decided to cut the stocker and add the durablue locknut. Hope this helps since everyone seems to have issues now and then with the stock axle locknut set-up. Matt

CJM
02-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Im honestly not sure since Ive never used one. Im just curious as you to find out.

It looks almost exactly like the one you linked from ebay tho

PaRedneckRiders
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by matts27
I use the durablue locknut with the set screw. Hasn't loosened up once yet, been on almost 2 years. Also, I kept the stock locknut set-up and basically use it as a big shim to help with the take up on the locknut set up ( I cut the threaded spacer and left the nut attached to the threaded spacer) . To get the axle locked down tight I needed more travel than what was available with the stocker. This set-up has worked really well for me since I've had no issues with the carrier or axle being loose now. I had the same issue of axle nut loosing up with the stock axle & durablue axle. When I bought my g-force and installed the new carrier bearing and axle I noticed how with almost all the threads out the nut was just starting to tighten. This is why I decided to cut the stocker and add the durablue locknut. Hope this helps since everyone seems to have issues now and then with the stock axle locknut set-up. Matt
You have any pics of your set up, it sounds interesting. Would like to see it.

PaRedneckRiders
02-15-2011, 04:55 AM
anyone else have some input on a good locknut that wont cost a small fortune haha.

Scro
02-15-2011, 06:09 AM
I would be wary of the lesser known companies when it comes locknuts. I've seen alot of them strip out very easily, without much torque. Personally, I would buy another stock setup. They are a dime-a-dozen and once wrapped in electrical tape, they will never come loose. It would save you quite a bit of money.

AtvKid4Eva
02-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Get a RAD locknut ive owned several and have one on my 450 they are like $50 bucks and get the job done and hold up great!

2001400exrida
02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
i've got an extra stock one that i took off of my 400ex axle when i put the 450r rear end on it.

pm me an offer. and i'll paypal it to ya.

matts27
02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
You have any pics of your set up, it sounds interesting. Would like to see it.

Cant upload the pic for whatever reason, probably too big, can email you the pic if you send me a pm with an address. It's just the stock nut spun on the splined, threaded set-up. I cut the threaded spacer flush with the jam nut and use that as a shim between the Dura-blue locknut and the caliper. Locks the axle nice and tight and gives you plenty of thread to work with. That's why I feel the stock set-up should be longer, my end thread was shot due to the jam nuts being so far out and only grabbing 1 to 1 1/2 threads to lock down the carrier. Matt

PaRedneckRiders
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
ok man nevermind i think i understand what your saying.

matts27
02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
pic of locknut