PDA

View Full Version : KTM 525 XC or KTM 505 SX

BenHonda400ex
02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Okay I guess my dad got this crazy phase where he want's to sell his Kawasaki Brute for a Ktm four-wheeler.. I told him he really wouldn't want the 450's because he's a pretty large guy.. Do you guys know how long you can ride a KTM 505 SX before you have to get maintence? And is there any way of getting lights for it? I don't know if he would really want the 505 because of the rebuilds... Is there that much difference between the 525 and 505 like power wise and sand dune wise? Thanks! Sorry for all the questions

Big Red Menace
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I think a 525xc may be the right choice for him if he's a big guy and is primarily going to do recreational riding. The sx's are fast yes, but completely intended for mx racing. Firm suspension, hard hitting engine, short mx tires etc.. They do come with lights since you were wondering. The xc engines routinely go 100hrs with only oil changes and air filter maint. They can be made a 540 with the factory cylinder kit, or 600+ccs with stroker cranks and other big bore cylinders. The Sx a-arms are availble as a kit if he wants to widen out the front, move the spacers on the rear axle and it's 49" or so wide.

BenHonda400ex
02-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Big Red Menace
I think a 525xc may be the right choice for him if he's a big guy and is primarily going to do recreational riding. The sx's are fast yes, but completely intended for mx racing. Firm suspension, hard hitting engine, short mx tires etc.. They do come with lights since you were wondering. The xc engines routinely go 100hrs with only oil changes and air filter maint. They can be made a 540 with the factory cylinder kit, or 600+ccs with stroker cranks and other big bore cylinders. The Sx a-arms are availble as a kit if he wants to widen out the front, move the spacers on the rear axle and it's 49" or so wide. Do you think the 525 XC would let him move around on the dunes pretty fast?

reckless86r
02-15-2011, 12:07 PM
He will have no regrets going with the 525 xc. It's definitely the way to go unless you like tearing the motor down every 30-50 hrs. The sx models are extremely high strung motors that haven't been perfected yet in comparrison to the proven bullet proof RFS motor.

krt400ex
03-05-2011, 10:36 AM
525xc. lower maintenance and loads of power. he will enjoy the torque coming from a 4wd, especially if he is a big guy.

KTMOutlaw
04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
525XC. Unless your Dad is a racer the 525 is a hard ATV to beat for all around riding.