PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Buisness advertising?

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Hey guys, I am just looking for some help. I am looking for some ideas on how to advertise and gain customers. I offer all lawn services. Just looking for ideas. Thought this would be the best place to go for advice.

finsteratv
02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
what kind have you done so far?
theres always your basic truck decals, roadside signs, or dress a buddy up in a lawnmower costume and have him dance around wih a sign :p

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
what kind have you done so far?
theres always your basic truck decals, roadside signs, or dress a buddy up in a lawnmower costume and have him dance around wih a sign :p

I've done it all. Been mowing lawns since i was 11 years old. lol

I mowed 4 lawns last year, before i had the equipment to go large scale. I did the following services.

- Mowing

- Mulching

- Basic Landscape Work

- Fertilizing, Seeding, Feed & Feed, etc...

- Landscaping Trimming.

I pretty much cover all the bases... I don't have fancy 10,000 lawn mowers or anything, but I can mow a lawn and make it look wicked good for a low cost.

catch22blaster
02-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm in the same limbo man. But What I've been doin is postin my business cards up at grocery stores an gas stations. Keep telling all ur family members an post em where ever theres a bulletin board to post things up. Also make up a flyer either a quick paper flyer or a door hanger flyer an hit the developments around ur surrounding area an talk to people. I know its sounds easyer then what it really is i know the feeling, an getting shot down gets old for sure lol. But If i were u I'd get magnet decals to put on ur truck so u can take them off n on to wash truck an if u deside to sell truck someday to upgrade u wont have the faded letterin down the side of ur truck. Goodluck to you man, Im hoping for the best this yr myself time will tell.

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by catch22blaster
I'm in the same limbo man. But What I've been doin is postin my business cards up at grocery stores an gas stations. Keep telling all ur family members an post em where ever theres a bulletin board to post things up. Also make up a flyer either a quick paper flyer or a door hanger flyer an hit the developments around ur surrounding area an talk to people. I know its sounds easyer then what it really is i know the feeling, an getting shot down gets old for sure lol. But If i were u I'd get magnet decals to put on ur truck so u can take them off n on to wash truck an if u deside to sell truck someday to upgrade u wont have the faded letterin down the side of ur truck. Goodluck to you man, Im hoping for the best this yr myself time will tell.

For sure!!! I really need the money, and i'll do just about anything at this point.

finsteratv
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
man i got you beat by a year! i started when i was 10 and have been doing it for 4 years. other kids try to take me down but cant work for as low of a price and do a good job :D ...wussies.
i always do flyers twice a year in my neighborhood and that usually gets me out there with how people talk.

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
man i got you beat by a year! i started when i was 10 and have been doing it for 4 years. other kids try to take me down but cant work for as low of a price and do a good job :D ...wussies.
i always do flyers twice a year in my neighborhood and that usually gets me out there with how people talk.

What do you charge per lawn? like a medium sized lot that would require a riding mower.

finsteratv
02-12-2011, 10:36 PM
since im in the burbs the lawns arent to big. i do 10 for front and back, only takes me 15-30 min. i make most of my money from the lawn in front of our development that people pay me to maintain so thats pretty regular work and pays better. summer logging is where the $$$ is at! haha

finsteratv
02-12-2011, 10:40 PM
i use an older self-propelled honda commercial mower...things beat to S*^T but cuts and runs great...its a honda.
for the few larger lawns that would be good for a riding mower i usually do 20-25 front and back depending on thickness.
about what size do you mean by mid-size sq footwise??

CJM
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
my buddy charges for a medium lot 35 bucks, it used to be 50 but with the economy taking a nosedive he can barely get them to pay 35. Small lawns he does for 25. He only uses walk behinds if the lot has tricky areas.

nickm328
02-13-2011, 06:40 AM
If there's a place in your town that has a social place for older people like a V.F.W. hall or something like that ask to put cards out for when they go play bingo. Older people don't or can't cut grass and they'll respect the fact you're trying to earn your money.

yellowzo3
02-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Almost all small businesses around here in the landscape/construction industries put small signs in the grass of houses they're working on or have worked on. You could try to work out a deal with some current and new customers...

For new customers: Maybe tell them you'll do their lawn for free one week if they let you leave your sign in the grass for a certain period of time. People will be able to see the work you do and it's basically a small billboard for your business in the neighborhood.

You could do the same kind of deal with current customers.

These are the kinds of signs I'm talking about:

http://www.signelect.com/customsignbanner/images/landing/signs/yard_signs_1.jpg

Ruby Soho
02-13-2011, 10:17 AM
You wont get to far without becoming an actually business. I've worked with people who didn't have a legit business, and for a legit landscape company. You can't make much of a profit by doing 4-5 yards for 20 bucks a piece. Been there done that.

All I can say is do good work, talk to neighbors of your customers and advertise.